+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

Re: GCB (Good Christian Belles) on ABC - premieres Sun Mar. 4th

I thought it was funny and plan to watch again. I love Annie Potts, she never disappoints!
    Not to that extreme, but I have seen women who act like the GCB and adjust words to justify there actions.
    sclilred1 likes this.

I too laughed out loud a couple times.... I will keep tuning in to see how it goes. Have nothing to lose.

It's like other storylines out there where someone has to return home, this just has a little more Christianity tossed in it (which, was fun to watch them justify 'stealing' the gift card....lol.... )

I'll give it a shot...why not?

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I thought the show was hilarious and assumed it was meant to be over the top - don't they say everything's bigger in Texas? I thought the show was using that saying as a guideline, which definitely worked for me. And it had nothing to do with the Christianity aspect, the show actually reminds me of Suburgatory, with all the silly things that go on in neighborhoods. I hope it sticks around for a while.

Also, thanks for putting the GCB's official "TV" name b/c I was getting ready to look it up. The book's name is actually the acronym I came up with. Those wicked ladies! I think I'm going to add that book to my must read list.
    sclilred1 likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

For the first time, Kristen Chenowith is starting to look her age.

I found the show to be more entertaining than I had anticipated. Some of the character names are a riot == Kristen as Carlene Cockburn and her husband as Ripp Cockburn.

It was all more over the top than I would have liked, but I'm hoping that was a device to set up the characters and their backgrounds. I liked it, didn't love it, but there's nothing else I currently watch at that hour, so I'll try some more episodes.
    bee stung lips and Fanny Mare like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought the "B" stood for a different word. Maybe they changed it.

The show has a good cast, but I'm not sold on the actual show yet. I don't care if it mocks Christianity. I care if it's well written and entertaining. I'm cool with anything being made fun of as long as it's done well and isn't as ham-fisted as the commercial previews make it look.
    Based on how they did the ads, it really is meant to be "Good Christian Bitches," but given that many people - including myself - are fed up with nonsense like that (as sorry bitches are everywhere, regardless of creed, race, religion, etc., and I act up occasionally). They knew they had to change it to give it a chance on Sunday.

I just was turned off by the commercials and such. I didn't even know the still of the girl in the robe was cut off because she had such a short robe in the full length of the promo shoot. (Probably again to not totally turn people off.)
    ButterflyFaery likes this.

As a real live religious Church going woman, I wasn't the least bit offended by the religious references in the show. I thought it just brought more humor to the show. I don't think they are making fun of religion, church, or Christianity at all.
    What they are making fun of is the hypocricy of many church going people who wear their religion like a badge of honor, while acting completely the opposite.
    Trust me. I know plenty of those.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I watched... but had trouble believing that all the women were supposed to be in the same high school class... Even given that people age at different rates.

Also, given how awful the heroine was in high school I thought she got cut a break way too early. Given that she lived it up under the benefits of her Maddox like husband I don't see any signs that she'd really changed before she got forced to go home.

And the gay husband....hint hint, he tells his wife what outfits to wear for her photo shoot??? And outfits the heroine? Come on, can he not just look like a straight Texan and still be gay? I know... over the top...

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I watched... but had trouble believing that all the women were supposed to be in the same high school class... Even given that people age at different rates.
    I found that improbable too. Kristen Chenoweth is nearly 44 and the other actresses who play her high school friends are all about 5-6 years younger.

ETA: Correction - one of them is only 3 years younger than Kristen, but still....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    So did anyone bother to watch the premier of this this series tonight? I know I didn't because a. I wanted to catch up on "Celebrity Apprentice" and b. I was annoyed by the commercials for this show.

Personally, I think it's toast long term, especially since they're having to resort to saying that it's produced by the same writers who wrote "Sex and the City." A show needs to rest on its own laurels, and even still, we found out with "Charlie's Angels" that you can have a big name and it still bomb.

Oh, and the fact that it mocks Christianity and is on a Sunday is not going to endear it to people. Sure, we have lustful "Desperate Housewives" (well for a little longer) but they don't flat out mock Christianity, or worse, Southern Baptists/country churches.
    THANK YOU glad someone else sees it the way I do
    ilja likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I have been waiting for this to air and my DVR caught it last night. I'm looking forward to watching it and have expectations that I will like it very much. Love many in the cast - especially Kristin Chenoweth and Miriam Schor who I've not seen all that much of since Hedwig and the Angry Inch - almost didn't recognize her!!.

Looking forward to watching it
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

+ Reply to Thread