+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Grimm - NBC

Re: Grimm - NBC

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Folks also know better than to believe that there really is a Grimm running around out there killing wesen. It didn't mess with my common sense and internal logic at all. You have to suspend all belief for shows like these, and I do so willingly and happily. Its a great escape type of show, not one to nitpick about IMHO.

Who else loved Monroe stumbling over asking Rosalie to move in with him. I love this couple - so much more than I do Nick and Juliette lol. And what's up with Nick continuing to turn blue!
    I also love Rosalie and Monroe and consider them by far the best couple on this show and the one that keeps me watching.

I am also fine about fiction not having to mimic reality. Many of our modern items have been inspired by the imaginations of fiction writers. Do we really believe that a New York City police department would add a writer to their homicide squad? Or that vampires run rampant in society? Or that a little old lady from a small village can solve mysteries that stump the professionals (Jane Marple)? I can easily suspend reality for a good story.
    Katydyd, mesachick and inthegarden like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Episode 4 - One Night Stand - 11/15/13

While I enjoyed the story I felt there were two plot holes. First of all there is a difference between species that live in fresh water and salt water and these girls were at a lake. Second of all if the species only has fertile females and sterile males I would think that it would be more of a matriarchal society with perhaps groups of sisters and brothers raising the young. Why do you even need a unrelated male partner of the same species, he is not protecting his children. I can see brothers helping raise their sisters kids as that is part of their blood family. Rather poorly thought out by the writers except for the fact they wanted to run with a subplot of fundamentalist males you dominated and mutilate the females of their species.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

As far as I recall, the naiads of Greek mythology presided over all kinds of fresh water. but there were several different types of water nymphs and some could live in both fresh and salt water. The Oceanids could do that, but I doubt they are as well known as the Naiads, so I think the show probably just used the most common name.

On your second point, Bearcata, nymphs were considered bisexual and not under the dominance of males, but if they followed that route, there would not have been a good story, and I did think this was a good story. Just my opinion, of course.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    As far as I recall, the naiads of Greek mythology presided over all kinds of fresh water. but there were several different types of water nymphs and some could live in both fresh and salt water. The Oceanids could do that, but I doubt they are as well known as the Naiads, so I think the show probably just used the most common name.

On your second point, Bearcata, nymphs were considered bisexual and not under the dominance of males, but if they followed that route, there would not have been a good story, and I did think this was a good story. Just my opinion, of course.
    I wasn't going by what is considered normal naiad behavior based on mythology I was just going by what was told to us the viewing audience by the characters themselves. In one case it makes sense to have bonded males to help protect the children and community but the males need a stronger imperative besides having a willing sexual partner. A male can always find a willing sexual partner. It makes more sense for a male to protect children if he is related to them by blood. Just trying to make sense of the internal logic of the episode.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, I also had a problem with the evolutionary logic... There are current human societies in which the main male in a child's life is the mother's brother, who is, after all, one male who is sure he's related to the child. But I suspended that... Presumably the "dad" was not biologically their dad either....
    If Nick is going to keep the pigs from killing the predators in Portland then he also needs to keep the predators from killing the pigs...fair is fair....

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Yeah, I also had a problem with the evolutionary logic... There are current human societies in which the main male in a child's life is the mother's brother, who is, after all, one male who is sure he's related to the child. But I suspended that... Presumably the "dad" was not biologically their dad either....
    If Nick is going to keep the pigs from killing the predators in Portland then he also needs to keep the predators from killing the pigs...fair is fair....
    Too true.

FYI ratings for Grimm and Dracula for November 15 have gone up.
    PWS and SpringMaiden27 like this.

I liked El Cucuy - episode 5 that aired 11/29/13 - it was rather funny them interviewing the little old lady and knowing that a jury would never convict her.

Episode 6 - Stories We Tell Our Young that aired 12/06/13 - Grimm's take on demon possession. Liking that the Captain going to Europe to see what is the aftermath of his half brothers assassination and what is Adelaide doing.

Luv that the powers that be aired episode 7 and 8 back to back on 12/13/13.

Episode 7 - Cold Blooded is Grimm's take on the alligators in the sewers urban legend.

Episode 8 - Twelve Days of Krampus - of course there is a bad Santa.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I like Grimm but sometimes it's awfully predictable. I just knew Monroe was going to end up taking the Christmas decorations down for Rosalee, and she was going to end up putting them back up.

I'm starting to like Nick better than I did when I first started watching the show. Even Juliette has gotten more bearable since she got her memory back. However, I liked Monroe more back when he was single. It was cute when he and Rosalee were first attracted to each other but now that they're joined at the hip, he's lost some of his spark. I almost wish they would break up so we could get the old Monroe back.

I like that Hank knows about wesens and can be involved in Nick's world now. I kind of wish the other guy on the force (Sergeant Wu) could be in on it as well.

I almost forgot to mention, lately it does seem like Nick is starting to woge, too. I've noticed that his face gets ashen and his eyes look dead. I winder if that's what other Wesen see when they look at Nick and that's how they know he's a grimm.

I agree with Nick. I like the old-school word for a grimm--Decapitari! That's cool.
    Last edited by pikachu; 12-17-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, very appropriate name!

Sadly for poor Wu, you have to have one straight man as it were, for the rest of them to play off of. Think it will be long time before he gets clued in.

+ Reply to Thread