+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Luther (BBC America)

Luther (BBC America)

You're welcome.
    Luther is a gripping, psychological thriller driven by a brilliant and emotionally impulsive detective tormented by the darker side of humanity.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Devastated by the brutal murder of his wife, DCI Luther has to continue policing in a very different world, fighting for his job and his freedom.
    With his old unit gone, he's working in the newly created Serious and Serial unit which is headed by former police complaints officer Martin Schenk.

Luther quickly gathers together a new team, rescuing his old partner Detective Justin Ripley from uniform, and it's not long before they're dealing with their first case. The sequel features two new distinctive and thrilling crime stories, which premiere in four parts, from creator and acclaimed suspense novelist Neil Cross.

Creator Neil Cross says: "In the Luther sequel, [we've got] bigger stories on a wider canvas. We've got some familiar faces and some new faces. We've got twists and turns...And at the heart of it all, we've got DCI John Luther -- a man in ruins, but witha heart the size of the moon. Bloodied and battered, but somehow still standing. And still doing what he can."

A self-destructive near-genius, John Luther might just be as dangerous as the depraved criminals he hunts. Luther shines a light into the hearts and minds of psychopaths and killers, and the shadowy spaces of his own soul.
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/41...t-the-show.jsp

I can't be the only person obsessed with Luther and the gorgeous Idris Elba! The second series is underway on BBC America right now and it's getting really good! I put part of the show description in spoiler tags because it's a huge spoiler if you haven't watched the show at all yet. The first series is available now streaming on Netflix and I HIGHLY recommend it.

One of the things I love about this show is the ambiguity of all the characters. They're flawed and human and sometimes do the wrong things for the right reasons. It's sort of like Dexter in that way. I started out not liking Alice Morgan at all but now I love that little sociopath! There are only 4 episodes this time, which bums me out. I need more Idris!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Luther (BBC America)

I'm totally the only person here watching this show This last episode blew me away! A serial killer who kills for absolutely NO reason is terrifying. That moment when he rested his head against the window at the gas station and stared at the people inside was so scary!

Jenny is turning out to be even more of a headache for John than he could have imagined. I wonder how he's going to clean up the mess she's made.

I'm really glad Ripley is still working with John, but this new woman is kind of annoying. She's just a little too straight-laced to play on his team.

I missed the first few episodes of the series, but finally found them on xfinity.com (comcast's site). They have a ton of series on their site - I'd never even been there before. If you don't subscribe to a specific channel, you can't watch any of the series on the site, but if you do, it's great!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

You are absolutely not the only one loving Luther, Critical !! I just haven't seen this weeks epi yet. It's DVR'd and I'm saving it for this weekend - I'll watch that and American Horror Story back to back. It's a good pairing Thanks for posting the x-finity link, I'll have to check it out. I actually missed the first epi and had to find it on-line. I don't think I've ever had to look so hard to find a show! I love this one, and I was really disappointed to hear we only get 4 shows this "season." Have you heard any more about a third go round? Luther is must watch TV for me. It can be tough sometimes...I admit to looking away...for like half a second ...when his hand was nailed to the table. But I love the dark stories and I really like Alice too - and her "relationship", such as it is, with Luther. She's deliciously evil and you know she's insane....but she has this ability to almost make it seem as though everyone else are the crazy ones. I also like that Luther and Mark are, I don't know, friends? But at least they're still linked, it's like his last connection to Zoe. I so hope we get a third season!! Now if only season two of "Sherlock" would hurry up and air.....
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Woot ! Had to answer my own question....

Idris Elba’s Luther Will Be Back for a Third Season -- Vulture

Idris Elba’s Luther Will Be Back for a Third Season

Idris Elba's imported police drama Luther will be back for a third season — or, since it's a British show, a third "series." Joy! Elba's Stringer Bel–ness is drastically diminished when he speaks with his native British accent, and lingering Wire vibes largely disappear when he plays the distraught, secretly vulnerable detective with a dark side. Luther is a police procedural, but it shares more of its creative and stylistic DNA with Dexter: It can be gory, certainly, and it's also visually distorted, which gives the show a sinister current of disorientation. Dexter is often supernaturally bright — in the Miami sunshine, maybe, or under Dex's surgical lights — while Luther goes for darkness and intense claustrophobia that make narrow London streets feel completely suffocating. The first season is on Netflix; the second season starts airing on BBC America September 28; and the third season starts filming in the next few months.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Critical, I've caught it On Demand over the summer due to someone here recommending it (maybe it was you?) and loved it! I felt cheated there were only six episodes. I checked back in from time to time to see if any new episodes had been put up and was excited to see the first episode of Season 2 up. But so far that is the only episode On Demand is showing. I haven't searched for it through the Xfinity website though so I will check there next. On Demand can be frustrating in that they will cover a show for two or three episodes and then abandon putting anything new up. And I'm not talking about shows that get canceled but ones that are still running. I was catching Extreme Couponing that way but they've not put up more than the first two episodes.

Anyway, I'm really happy to hear there will be a Season 3! And Alice has grown on me as well!
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

- both to a third series AND to not being the only fan of this show! I tell so many people about Luther - they should pay me as a PR rep!

ITA about OnDemand, ACF. It's SO frustrating to get into a show and then have them stop putting up new episodes. I looked everywhere for Luther episodes and was about to break down and buy them on iTunes when I found a link to watch on xfinity for free. They sure didn't make it easy. It's a good thing I was really motivated!

I love the show and it doesn't hurt that I have a raging crush on Idris Elba. I read somewhere that his name has been thrown around as a potential next James Bond and I'm all for that! He would be perfect! Those long coats he wears just get me every time. He's so sexy and elegant and manly. I know, I'm a total fangirl

Katydyd - I'm waiting for the next season of Sherlock too! It may be a little while since both Benedict and Martin are filming The Hobbit in New Zealand. They did just have a break from filming, so maybe they are fitting in Sherlock filming during the breaks. I don't want to wait too long for the next installment. I love that show!

I'm a huge fan of this show. I was counting down the days until season 2 started.

This season has me sitting on the edge of my seat. The very end of the first episode took my breath away. I love how this show is not your typical American cop show. I can't quite explain it, but it's just so different. Gritty and dark are the only words I can think of, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I *just* started watching this show over the weekend on Netflix streaming. I didn't know the second season had already aired. I thought the one I was watching was the the only season!! Now I'm going to have to monitor whether it will re-air until it becomes available on Netflix!!!

It took a couple of episodes to get into, but I am really enjoying it now. It really has become an "anything can happen" kind of show. I finished the 4th episode with my jaw hanging open and my hand over my mouth!!

Do you have Comcast? I watched season 2 on xfinity.com and it's still available there. You just have to log in and they check to see if you get BBCAmerica.

Also, there are sites that have the episodes available. When I googled "Luther episodes online" (without the quotes), the site I use came up first, after hulu

I LOVE this show! I have to say, it took me a while to warm up to Alice, but now I love her. I hope they bring her back for the next season.

Thanks Crit! My provider is Charter. Even if I can find it online, I'm torn. I want to keep watching, but I really don't like watching TV on my laptop. I suppose if I get desperate I can plug it into the television.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast