+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 218 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119169 ... LastLast
Like Tree1096Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Just read a good interview interview with Ginnifer Goodwin. It's long, so I'll put the link at the bottom but I'm bringing over the part that relates to MM/David's relationship since we've discussed it.

What do you make of the challenges that David and Mary Margaret have been facing this season? Itís worse than Ross and Rachel!

I love their storyline. Itís frustrating to play, and as an audience member, Iím certainly throwing things at the television. But itís also ó I feel itís so relatable. And I donít mean because people often find themselves in situations where theyíre in love with married men.

Or soon-to-be married men, like in "Something Borrowed."

Or "Walk the Line" Ö or "Big Love." Geez. You know, someone pointed out to me how my characters are always invovled in extramartial affairs. Itís awful, right? I donít condone it!

But I do feel that David and Mary Margaret are going throught a struggle that is relatable. And they are a couple who put obstacles in their own way. Iím finding that I thrive as an actress exploring that person and exploring that couple. Itís interesting because I know in some ways there has been a negative reaction by the public about what David is doing because everyone Ö

Is upset because heís married, right?

Right. But people are forgetting that heís cursed. The thing is, this couple will always put obstacles in their own way because they are cursed. That is what makes them different from their fairy-tale counterparts. In fairy-tale land, external things are always the obstacles. In Storybrook, just like in the modern world, these are people who insist on putting obstacles in their own way. And I think that Mary Margaret is addicted to disappointment so she puts herself in situations that are impossible ó and that almost make her happy. Her curse, as inflicted by the Evil Queen, is that just when sheís about to possess her happiness, she finds a way to make things bad for herself and to have those things taken away from her.

I feel that in many ways, she should have forgiven David and been more empathetic to his situation. He did make a mistake, but heís a good man and he was trying so hard to keep someone from hurting in not telling his wife about the other woman ó even though itís not really his wife. Snow Whiteís really his wife, and he doesnít really have any kind of relationship with this woman because all of his memories of his relationship with Katherine are false. But thatís just another example of Mary Margaret keeping herself from happiness because instead of growing and evolving and compromising in relationships in the way that we should in order to make ourselves happy, she has a knee-jerk reaction, when thereís any sign of conflict, to push people away. And thatís her curse. And Davidís curse is that he is insecure and he is paralyzed by guilt; heís so set in doing the right thing that he actually makes everything far too messy. I feel like he sort of stalls like a car when thereís possibility that heís hurt someone.

'Once Upon a Time's' Ginnifer Goodwin talks fairy tales, plus first look at Sunday's episode - latimes.com
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

ďI donít want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my painÖ It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.Ē - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

LOVED the article.

It also touched on something that may have been mentioned in earlier posts but it's just become clarified to me. David couldn't be actually married to Catherine now because he's married to MM/Snow. They're the same people they were before, right? So if Emma is their daughter and they were married previously, then his marriage to Catherine can't be valid because he was already married to Snow. It's still icky that they have behaved the way they have thinking that D & C were married, but perhaps it can somewhat be explained in that their souls felt married to each other - which, in actuality, they are.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I did a quick search and there are reports that originally Mary Margaret was supposed to be a nun and was even termed as such in early descriptions of the show. I must have been remembering that which added to my confusion when watching this past episode. I guess they maybe figured people would be against the idea of a nun being romantically involved with a man and made it so MM was just a school teacher?
    Maybe then David wasn't married? So the obstacle would be her being a nun? It's hard to believe they'd have considered having a nun be involved with a married man! A bit over the top!
    Of course she could also only be an apprentice nun (postulate?), not one fully committed.

Interesting article--thanks!

Such an awesome episode! I loved Red and her story-though I need to watch it again to make sure I understand all.
    Debb70 likes this.

I loved this episode - talk about an awesome twist!! It completely caught me off guard! All I kept thinking of when I learned Red's boyfriend's name was "Peter and the Wolf"...And how !!! I was glad to see there was a reason Grandma seemed rather tough both in Storybrooke and Fairytale land though, because she certainly hasn't ever come across as the sweet old granny we'd expect (not that anything on this show is as expected, but still).

I got to thinking too about the curse and what breaks it....I think we can safely assume it's not true love's kiss, there have been some of those. My thought is that if each character is missing a part of their "real" selves (their real fairytale self anyway), then maybe finding that part of themself, and believing they are who they are is the key to getting back. I think Sheriff Graham was almost there, and maybe that was part of why Regina had to kill him? Maybe it wasn't all just betrayal and jealousy....then again, maybe she doesn't know what breaks the curse and it was just coincidence Ruby/Red is on that path now too, since working with Emma started to give her some confidence. And Dr. Hopper is starting to gain back some of his conscience too. Emma will somehow have to be the one to bring everything together though, since she is suppose to be the "savior." Either way, I am so loving this show!!!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I saw it for the first time last night. I thought it was very interesting. I'll have to catch up so I can figure out what's really going on.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Disregarding the fact that there was not so much as a smidgen of Mr. Gold in the episode, I'm gonna have to say it certainly won't make the list of my favorites, even though I did find the twist interesting.

My daughter and I spent Sunday at a matinee showing of WICKED (loved it!) so we both had to giggle at the "paid a wizard" for the red cape comment. I guess if the Wizard can be involved in magical red shoes, a magical red cape doesn't stretch the imagination too much!

Too bad about Peter. He was easy on the eyes and might have made things interesting in Storybrooke.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    My daughter and I spent Sunday at a matinee showing of WICKED (loved it!) so we both had to giggle at the "paid a wizard" for the red cape comment. I guess if the Wizard can be involved in magical red shoes, a magical red cape doesn't stretch the imagination too much!
    When I heard that, I thought about Harry Potter & the invisibility cloak & all the other stuff Wizards conjured up. Wizards can do many seemingly impossible things. We learned that from Harry.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post

Too bad about Peter. He was easy on the eyes and might have made things interesting in Storybrooke.
    Totally off topic, but glad you got to see WICKED!! It's such a fabulous show !!! And yes, I thought the same thing about Peter. I bet he made a tasty morsel though
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I thought this was a really good episode. I was thinking Granny was the wolf so they got me when it was Red. I'm sad for her that she killed Peter. I guess it makes sense since she hasn't found her "true love" in Storybrooke. I also found it interesting that after wanting a sense of adventure, she ended back at Granny's after all. And I'm glad she did away with all that makeup - she looks so much prettier without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I loved this episode - talk about an awesome twist!! It completely caught me off guard! All I kept thinking of when I learned Red's boyfriend's name was "Peter and the Wolf"...And how !!! I was glad to see there was a reason Grandma seemed rather tough both in Storybrooke and Fairytale land though, because she certainly hasn't ever come across as the sweet old granny we'd expect (not that anything on this show is as expected, but still).

I got to thinking too about the curse and what breaks it....I think we can safely assume it's not true love's kiss, there have been some of those. My thought is that if each character is missing a part of their "real" selves (their real fairytale self anyway), then maybe finding that part of themself, and believing they are who they are is the key to getting back. I think Sheriff Graham was almost there, and maybe that was part of why Regina had to kill him? Maybe it wasn't all just betrayal and jealousy....then again, maybe she doesn't know what breaks the curse and it was just coincidence Ruby/Red is on that path now too, since working with Emma started to give her some confidence. And Dr. Hopper is starting to gain back some of his conscience too. Emma will somehow have to be the one to bring everything together though, since she is suppose to be the "savior." Either way, I am so loving this show!!!
    I think that's the case as well. I said in an earlier post that I believe being true to themselves is the key to breaking the curse. Kathryn realized she didn't want to settle for a marriage to David that didn't seem real, which was similar to the decision she made about not wanting to marry Charming, so making the decision to go to Boston and go to school was her way to walk down a path that wasn't the Queen's, which probably would've led to her breaking the curse. Just like Graham didn't want to be Regina's 'consort' and Archie stood up to her and followed his conscience. I think exercising their free will is the key and Emma helps facilitate that when she brings a dose of "reality" to them when they talk things out with her!

I'm excited to see where the show heads. I've been reading that things will start to heat up, which as we know from Lost, means anything can happen!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

ďI donít want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my painÖ It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.Ē - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread