+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 214 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Forgot to write in my original post - I liked their nod to Walt Disney in this episode when Astrid and Grumpy both told each other "You can do anything as long as you can dream it", a slight variation of Walt's "If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post

I am intrigued, though, on what went on in the past between the fairies and Rumple. We know he killed a fairy godmother - was there retribution?
    When did Rumpy kill a fairy godmother? I must have missed that.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    When did Rumpy kill a fairy godmother? I must have missed that.
    Very beginning of the Cinderella/Ashley episode. The fairy godmother had just arrived to help Cinderella when Rumple killed her and took her wand.
    Longhornfan likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Count me among those who thought the episode was "blah." As soon as the opening scene rolled I thought, "A ditzy fairy? Oh, brother. What is this, Tinkerbell II?" That whole plot of Dreamy and the Fairy did nothing for me.

And I got really ticked off when Bossy and Blue Fairy intervened to head off Dreamy. Excuse me? Can you say, arrogant and patronizing? Shouldn't that be Pink's decision whether she wants to remain a fairy or not? And "Dwarves can't love"? Again, excuse me? Shouldn't that have been Dreamy's choice to find out whether he could or not? How did those two know it wouldn't work out well. Quite frankly, that scene just gave me the creeps.

It also felt a little weird having nuns in a town filled with fairy tale characters. I guess fairies are like nuns, in that they're not supposed to have sexual relations? If so, then that puts a whole new spin on the above scene. Maybe Blue was just jealous because she saw Pink finding happiness in earthly love. Now that would have made for some good drama...

Not to mention the whole "sacrifice yourself for the greater good of your lover" was already done, and much better, with the Snow and Charming plot. In this epi it just felt like a worn cliche.

And this is kind of nitpicky, but a single transformer can knock the power out of an entire town?

Ok, rant over. It looks like next week's episode goes back to the kind of wonderful drama I loved before.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Forbidden Love. I wept. I thought it was terrific story telling with the clumsy fairy in charge of the fairy dust accidentally dropping a load on Dreamy's egg. Both yearning for something more than their assigned roles in life and both denied by responsibility. The ending with Dreamy taking his frustration out chipping at a rock and breaking his axe then a new one given to him and a new name revealed, Grumpy. The upper and lower tales jived so close I didn't find any problem jumping from one to the other.

The side-story served to create buzz for future shows, but I think the Grumpy/NoVA story stood on its own this week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I loved this episode, but then I'm a huge Amy Acker fan. I'm an Angel fan, so I just love her in anything. For me, she'll always be Fred, but I'm thrilled to see her working! She's done guest spots on this show and on Grimm in the last month in VERY different roles!

I enjoyed seeing more of Grumpy's story and his softer side in his interactions with Mary Margaret and Astrid/Nova. It was fun to get that little glimpse of Belle too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I do enjoy this show. It's just a charming bit of flight of fancy and the actions of the characters do not need to conform to the real world, even in Storybrooke, which I'm not sure is real either.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

For information on ROBERT CARLYLE'S new movie, go here: California Solo | A Film by Marshall Lewy
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Ohhhhh - sexy photo!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread