+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 214 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I guess it must all be part of the curse that they don't recognize each other. I am in no hurry for everything to be resolved and have this show end.

They make Storybrook look so quaint and (no pun intended) charming, that you almost have to think it's a small town . . . . although there seemed to be quite a large number of students at school.
    Weeeeeeeeell, the adults had to do something to pass the time while they were waiting for Emma to grow up and come to Storybrook and break the curse.
    Jamie5632 and Little Sew&Sew like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Weeeeeeeeell, the adults had to do something to pass the time while they were waiting for Emma to grow up and come to Storybrook and break the curse.
    If they did, it certainly didn't result in those children. Remember, time was frozen. Ashley/Cinderella was pregnant all that time. She didn't give birth 'till time started moving.
    Henry is the only child who has been ageing. This has always been a problem with the show for me. Henry ageing & all the other children staying the same & nobody noticed???? Even Henry????? Especially in school. He hasn't mentioned it. I wish they'd address this.

Anyhow, maybe now that time is moving again, there will be a whole lot of babies born in 9 months.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    If they did, it certainly didn't result in those children. Remember, time was frozen. Ashley/Cinderella was pregnant all that time. She didn't give birth 'till time started moving.
    Henry is the only child who has been ageing. This has always been a problem with the show for me. Henry ageing & all the other children staying the same & nobody noticed???? Even Henry????? Especially in school. He hasn't mentioned it. I wish they'd address this.

Anyhow, maybe now that time is moving again, there will be a whole lot of babies born in 9 months.
    I'm assuming Henry has been able to age because he wasn't cursed Emma gave birth to Henry in the real world and then Regina adopted him from the real world. What I still wonder is, did Regina know who she was adopting? Or did Rumpy arrange the adoption and only he knew? Or, did neither know?
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    Flaw in this week's story, IMO - MM can excuse herself for seeing a married man, but it's unforgivable for him not to tell his wife everything when he tells her he wants out? Maybe it's a flaw in her character rather than a flaw in the story.

I agree with you, Little Sew&Sew. Rumpy was missed BIG TIME!

That was Fredrick who came upon Katherine's car at the end. And if you didn't notice, he was the guy she bumped into at the school when she was gunning for MM. They keep introducing new people to us, and others disappear for weeks (like Henry's counselor/Jiminy Cricket). Storybrooke must be a decent-sized town!
    I missed the beginning of the show and was wondering if Frederick had been introduced earlier in the show in some role. So he was at he school? Presumably a teacher or guidance counselor or something? So far he doesn't seem to have a parallel role in modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing....but then my son said something kinda interesting. It seems they've all lost something of their former selves when they were zapped into Storybrook. Maybe that has to do with breaking the curse as well? Think about it...Dr. Hopper lost his conscience and had to get it back, red Riding Hood lost her innocence and is now, well, tramp seems a bit harsh, but still...Sheriff Graham had lost his connection to animals as well as his common sense (sleeping with Regina? really? ), Katherine was clearly a decent character in Fairytale land, and surely wouldn't have been friends with EQ, Mary Margaret lost her hair (beauty? Fairest in the land?). Also, MM isn't near as...spunky?...as Snow was, but she's starting to get some back. Maybe David lost his courage, or valor, and has to learn how to fight to get it back? I don't know, but that's what I'm going with, because I'm with you - Storybrook David isn't even close to princely
    Thank you for that brilliant analysis! That helps me cope with David's character, because he was getting to be a real drag for me, too.

On another topic, I think we can safely cross out the idea the idea that we'll only be seeing nods to fairytales (and Disney versions at that). Last week no doubt was a reference to Cuckoo's Nest. The Nurse Ratchett character alone might have been coincidence, but add the Indian mopping? That was a deliberate wink. This week Charming's "heroic quest" reminded me of Beowulf...right down to movie version Angelina Jolie rising out of the lake.
    I thought the exact same thing tonight. Only, I was thinking of King Arthur and the Lady in the Lake. Supposedly, she was the one who gave his magical sword, Excalibur. Also, when he was fatally wounded in battle, he was taken to the Isle of Avalon in the lake, where it's said the magic women are keeping him there until Britain needs him again. The shrine reinforced that for me, since it looked like an ancient pagan shrine, and paganism and Christianity were fighting it out during the time of King Arthur.

The idea of the knight frozen in time, and his lover waiting for him, comes from the Holy Grail legends. In Parzival, one of the main sources for the Grail story, the hero comes upon a maiden who has set up a shrine to her lover and mourns for him since he was cut down in his prime and before they could get married. That may be so obscure, though, that the writers didn't consciously use it as an influence.

The idea of the Siren comes from Greek mythology. Watch the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? to see another great example of how the idea of the siren was adapted.

Somebody brought up the EQ's lace parasol last week. I have to say that I just love the costumes in Fairytale Land. This week had other great examples, like Katherine's princess costume. And I love how they do the lady's hairstyles, too!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I just watched last night's show, and I think August W. Booth was making a copy of the book of Fairy Tales. That way, he could give the original (or maybe the copy) back to Emma and still have a copy for himself to work from.

Anybody have any ideas what clues might lie in the name August Wayne Booth?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I just watched last night's show, and I think August W. Booth was making a copy of the book of Fairy Tales. That way, he could give the original (or maybe the copy) back to Emma and still have a copy for himself to work from.

Anybody have any ideas what clues might lie in the name August Wayne Booth?
    no idea but my internet has been down since Friday I am gonna do some research...I just wonder since he was pulling pages out of the book and replacing them if he was changing the stories and which stories was he changing and for what reason thats the first thought that came to my mind
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I did a bit of on line research and apparently the prevailing theory is that August Wayne Booth is linked to August von Haxthausen, a close friend of the brothers Grimm who helped them with their collections. August was also a collector of folk songs and shared an interest with the Grimm brothers in popular legends and fairy tales. He also studied law with Jacob Grimm. Just as an FYI which probably has nothing to do with anything, when I Google searched "August von Haxthausen" a geneology site came up for a Frederik Vilhelm August von Haxthausen (b.1846). Doesn't look like he was any relation to the Grimm's Haxthausen, but this guy's wife was named...Emma.
    Last edited by Katydyd; 02-21-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Arielflies and JavaJo like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I really liked this episode and the insight we gained into Abigail/Kathryn - I never disliked her but thought she was pretty vapid in the "When Snow Falls" episode but now it all makes sense - forced to marry another instead of her true love, who wouldn't act that way?

The interesting point for me was that, without realizing it, she figured things out - she said her marriage was like an illusion, she couldn't remember falling in love with David, and she didn't want that for herself, which was actually her way of breaking the curse for herself! Because we saw Abigail decide the same thing in Fantasyland when she heard Charming was in love with Snow; she didn't want to be forced to marry him either and used his loving Snow as her way out. With her sudden knowledge and being "true to herself", Kathryn tried to free herself and leave SB but I think it was the EQ who grabbed her off the side of the road after she hit whatever magical forcefield was there. Methinks she's being held in a cell close to Belle. Maybe it will be Frederick the gym teacher's turn to save her!

Now...if David had actually sat down and talked to Kathryn like MM had suggested and shown some honor, which was one of Charming's greatest traits, he & Abigail may have come to the same conclusion together - that they didn't remember falling in love and all that and he & MM might have gotten Kathryn's blessing verbally, which the EQ wouldn't have been able to take away. But he wasn't able to break his character flaw and "find himself" and he and MM are now stuck in a rut.

Something interesting to ponder - Regina gave Henry a video game and Emma said that she used to play it when she was a kid - does that mean anything? And I don't mean that they both played the same game, I'm thinking more along the lines of the time issue.

Speaking of - I think Henry's being in the school might actually be explainable - perhaps Regina kept him home when he was a baby and being busy, he didn't have any playdates. Perhaps she rotated him when he finally got to schoolage. If he had different kids in his class, he wouldn't have noticed they didn't age. And if he had the same kids, they all look his age so he might not have noticed or thought too much on it. There are tiny kids in my kids' classes who could pass for much younger and bigger kids who could pass for older. Just a thought. He might not have thought about it or noticed it at all, especially since we've all heard he doesn't have any friends...

Oh yeah - and did the book look bigger to anybody else when it was returned? It looked bigger to me but I can't tell definitively, even in the snapshots I took. I still think August is related to a Grimm. For all we know, August Booth is a pseudonym and the "W" stands for Wilhelm, as in Wilhelm Karl Grimm... What I'm impatiently waiting for is Henry to reread it now that he's got it back, to see whether anything's been changed, added, or removed!
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 02-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I did a bit of on line research and apparently the prevailing theory is that August Wayne Booth is linked to August von Haxthausen, a close friend of the brothers Grimm who helped them with their collections. August was also a collector of folk songs and shared an interest with the Grimm brothers in popular legends and fairy tales. He also studied law with Jacob Grimm. Just as an FYI which probably has nothing to do with anything, when I Google searched "August von Haxthausen" a geneology site came up for a Frederik Vilhelm August von Haxthausen (b.1846). Doesn't look like he was any relation to the Grimm's Haxthausen, but this guy's wife was named...Emma.
    That is really interesting. It also found it interesting that 'hausen' translates to 'live, dwell, reside'
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread