+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 214 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

This show initally charmed me completely with its imagination, it's roots in children's stories, and its Disneyesque quality which made for perfect family Sunday night viewing.

I think it's the departure from the Disney ideals that upsets me most about MM & David. This show is definitely no longer equally appropriate fare for young children. Now it's more like PG-13 fare.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 01-31-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    This show initally charmed me completely with its imagination, it's roots in children's stories, and its Disneyesque quality which made for perfect family Sunday night viewing.

I think it's the departure from the Disney ideals that upsets me most about MM & David. This show is definitely no longer equally appropriate fare for young children. Now it's more like PG-13 fare.
    Speaking as a mom of an almost 9-year-old who adores this show and can't wait for Monday afternoons so she can watch it with me, I don't think it's crossed the line of being inappropriate...yet. My daughter is all about Snow & Charming and, as Bjaminsmom said, she only sees David & Kathryn's 'marriage' as part of the evil curse and that relationship, to her, is wrong. Thankfully, she's innocent enough that it's just that black and white for her, so I'm going to leave it that way. For me, the only issue I have is that David obviously slept with Kathryn. Everything else I can justify away as the curse except that. Again, thankfully, DD doesn't yet know about the birds and the bees, so that storyline was over her head.

I don't mind her watching the show - we discuss everything that goes on while we watch, so I think that's the most important thing. She had a harder time understanding why the EQ would rip out her father's heart (she couldn't understand that a person could be that evil)...
    Florimel likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

...and I like that it's getting away from Disneyland and taking steps (albeit baby steps) toward its literary roots.
    (...toward. I'm not holding my breath, though for literary accuracy. But I really like the more adult appeal.)
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

If I remember correctly, in fairytale land, Prince Charming and the Princess with the bad attitude (as Snow calls her) never got married and, their marriage was supposedly arranged to combine two kingdoms. Prince Charming meets Snow White and they do get married.
    Mary Margaret is wearing the ring that Prince Charming gave to Snow White.
    So, wouldn't it seem, since they are all suppose to be miserable, due to the Evil Queen's curse, if he is married, it would be a very unhappy marriage or even an arranged marriage.
    I'm thinking they are not married... and that the Mayor/EQ has set the whole marriage up. Plus, if those two get together and are happy, it could cause the curse to crack even more. She seems very determined to keep them apart.

I get the feeling they're not really married either. An EQ manipulation or trick.

It's odd. I'm someone who has NO tolerance for infidelity of any kind. To me marriage is a definite bond & if someone either doesn't want the one they're married to then divorce BEFORE you start a new relationship, or at least seperate.
    But for some reason MM & David don't bother me in the least. I see them as the ones who are really married and are being manipulated/kept apart. Even though in Storybrooke they don't know they are married, in their hearts/guts they know.
    Then again, maybe I'm just justifying a fictional couple I want to see together. Who knows.
    TV isn't real life, & in this show it isn't even portrayed much like it.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    TV isn't real life, & in this show it isn't even portrayed much like it.
    Exactly! I'm watching a show about cursed fairytale characters who live in a town where for the past 25 years or so time stood still. In Fairytale land, Snow and Charming are meant to be. We're all just watching the journey of how they get their happily ever after. When I watch OUAT I'm far more concerned with whether or not I'm going to be entertained than whether my values might be offended. I watch the news for that! And lucky me, this political season has been both offensive and entertaining
    Florimel likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    Maybe if David actually split up with his wife before starting the affair with MM it would not have seemed quite as wrong/cruel. Katherine seems to genuinely love him, don't you think? That's not easy to fake. Since she thought she was pregant, we have to assume that they are inimate physically. And nothing in the story, thus far, indicates that there was no wedding between them.
    I thought the same thing initially, but when Snow confronted Prince Charming his reaction made me think that possibly they hadn't. My memory could be faulty, but I could have sworn he said something about it being "impossible". If his wife really is in the know and lying or in cahoots with the EQ, that whole grocery store scenario could have been set up to hurt MM and keep her away from him.

Heck, have you guys watched some of the shows on the Disney-owned ABC Family? WOW! Two shows with "liars" or "lying" in the title, teenagers getting pregnant, fraternity craziness, good grief! I'm pretty surprised at the programming on ABC Family, even though I think parents should absolutely know and monitor what their children watch. It's not really for the whole family anymore, unless you only have teenagers! It seems pretty strange for a network that still airs very religious programming in its off hours. Most of their shows seem more suited for the CW than for ABC Family.

I doubt that James and Katherine are really married - it's probably part of the curse that they think (or now just she thinks) they're married.

I've enjoyed these last few episodes more because it dealt with characters we already know. Looks like we'll get another Love Boat-style episode soon, but as long as those are the exception rather than the rule, I'm happy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I doubt that they are married as well. Seems a little to 'convenient' that she showed up when she did (in spite of her explanation).

Cannot believe that the Genie/Mr Glass didn't see the snake thing coming from a mile away. So obvious.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Well, if anyone really wants to get technical about it, David and Kathryn can't be married. Everyone just transported into Storybrooke from Fairytale land "as is" - poof! And until Emma came, time basically stood still (except for Henry). Nothing changed, the clock never moved, no one moved in or out. Since that entire time "David" was in a coma, clearly no wedding vows were ever exchanged. Therefor, no wedding vows are being broken. Whether or not Kathryn really and truly believes she is his wife, is up for debate. But the fact is, they couldn't be married. And, since we saw the wedding between Snow and Charming in Fairytale land, whether or not Snow was Charming's first or second wife really isn't an issue (except for us die hard romantics who want her to be his only wife and true love ). She was his wife, and the mother of his child, at the time they all "poofed" into Storybrooke.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread