+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 214 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Another great episode. Beautifully written and acted. I liked how the story wasn't a straight black-and-white one, either. I actually felt sorry for David's wife. She seems to genuinely care about David and their marriage.

Loved the scene in the diner between Emma and the writer. I have an old typewriter just like that! It belonged to my Great-Aunt, who wrote for her local newspaper. It even has a case just like the one in the show.

I almost cried at that scene near the end with Snow and the Dwarves. That was so touching, the little speech Grumpy gave about not needing to take the potionn since she has friends now.

And since she did take the potion, then how does the spell break? We know it does, since in the pilot she and Charming were happily married. And what does the EQ have to with this all? Why does she track down Snow and give her the apple? I hate not knowing!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I kind of half watched the show last night. I knew it was going to be about the main story line which interested me a lot more than all the ancillary story lines. I'm one of that group. I guess at the end of my weekend I just don't care to think that much to try to sort out all those story lines.

Anyhow, I was interested in their back story of course but not totally bought into it all and then the present day push/pull relationship. I guess my issue is now that this story is back I'm finding that I don't necessarily care as much about the main characters anymore. Between everything else going on and then not getting a real dose of it in for what seems like forever it's hard to keep caring about the outcome for me which is usually where I start to drift away from shows... when I stop caring about the outcome. This one will probably keep me only because there's nothing else on in the time slot.

But again I'm digressing. I really really enjoyed the Grumpy and her interaction at the end. I was thinking last night after that very moving scene at the end with the pep talk so to speak that I wouldn't mind seeing some time of her interaction with them if they kept the writing tight like that. It would be an ancillary story line I might actually care about.

So then I thought back over the shows that I watched before and I decided maybe my issue isn't so much the huge variety of story lines as much as sometimes it feels like the writing gets kind of sloppy in the process. Where they could have some sharp writing and integration they just don't. And parts of this episode felt like that to me too.

My first guess was that the newcomer was Rumpy's son, but interesting thought that he might be a Grimm brother. Their first names, I believe, were Jacob and Wilheim, so it will be interesting to see what the writer's name is in Storybrooke. Still there were other authors who wrote fairy tales in addition to the Grimms -- Hans Christian Anderson for one. We're also getting some overlap to other types of fantasy tales, I think. If I remember correctly, King Midas was a mythological character, but I could be wrong about that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And since she did take the potion, then how does the spell break? We know it does, since in the pilot she and Charming were happily married. And what does the EQ have to with this all? Why does she track down Snow and give her the apple? I hate not knowing!
    Questions, questions, & the answers are so slow in coming. But the show has us hooked into coming back every week in rabid anticipation.
    You can tell the writers are the same ones from Lost.
    ButterflyFaery likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    My first guess was that the newcomer was Rumpy's son, but interesting thought that he might be a Grimm brother. Their first names, I believe, were Jacob and Wilheim, so it will be interesting to see what the writer's name is in Storybrooke. Still there were other authors who wrote fairy tales in addition to the Grimms -- Hans Christian Anderson for one. We're also getting some overlap to other types of fantasy tales, I think. If I remember correctly, King Midas was a mythological character, but I could be wrong about that.
    Yes, he was. I believe it was an ancient Greek myth. Something terrible happened to him in the end, but I can't remember what. I hope that foreshadows the end of that nasty father of Charming's.

I wanted to clarify my earlier remarks about not liking the ancillary stories. I agree with whoever said that I don't mind the ones that tie in to the main story or help us see the characters grow . For instance, I loved the Cinderella epi, the one about Mr. Hopper and Henry in the mine, and the one where Emma ran for sheriff. It's just the ones like the last one that don't appear to have anything to do with anything, like the last one about the orphans, that my attention starts to wander.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Yes, he was. I believe it was an ancient Greek myth. Something terrible happened to him in the end, but I can't remember what. I hope that foreshadows the end of that nasty father of Charming's.

I wanted to clarify my earlier remarks about not liking the ancillary stories. I agree with whoever said that I don't mind the ones that tie in to the main story or help us see the characters grow . For instance, I loved the Cinderella epi, the one about Mr. Hopper and Henry in the mine, and the one where Emma ran for sheriff. It's just the ones like the last one that don't appear to have anything to do with anything, like the last one about the orphans, that my attention starts to
    wander.
    Well, he was given the Midas touch where everything he touched turned to gold. The bad ending was when he touched his daughter and she was turned into a golden statue.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And before that his food turned to gold, his water turned to gold, etc. So clearly he was doomed, but the kicker was his beloved daughter turning to gold.

Apparently the fairy tale version has a more controlled version of it! I like that there is a good reason for Charming to marry Midas' daughter...for the kingdom merger and his people. So a good reason to keep them apart, just as the wife is in modern time (I agree, good that she is being shown as nice and interested in her marriage). Interesting that he is not really his "father"'s son. Kind of like Henry and Regina.
    I was a bit puzzled why the modern Charming was so sure his wife couldn't be pregnant... almost thought he was saying they hadn't had sex...but maybe it was just that he is another of the (foolish) believers in condoms being 100% effective.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Loved this last episode (so much so that I'm rewatching it right now-lol). So my guess (purely speculation, I haven't read any spoilers about him) is that perhaps he's a Brother Grimm? He sounds older than he looks and perhaps that might be a key to something?
    I haven't read anything either and that was my guess. My husband didn't think so, but my daughter thought it was a good guess. We'll see! She agreed with me that since he's a writer that could be a possibility.

I agree with you. I think he's more than likely a Grimm. After all, he said the town was full of inspiration.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Anyone else notice that when Mary Margaret was shopping she walked right by a big display of Apollo Bars.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread