+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 214 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 2137
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

  1. #461
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferdcat View Post
    I totally thought motorcycle guy was Henry's dad. He can't be someone in a fairy tale if he is new in town, since none of the fairy tale people can come or go from the town. With that reasoning, I don't think Henry's dad can be a fairy tale person either.
    The birth certificate guy's name was Krzyszkowski according to IMDB. He did say to call him Mr. K, if that is any kind of clue.
    He said call him "K". Emma said Mr. K.. i was racking my brain on that one.. if the obvious distinction between the 2 meant anything. I am at a loss..

    Cinderella was Ashley.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

  2. #462
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    He said call him "K". Emma said Mr. K.. i was racking my brain on that one.. if the obvious distinction between the 2 meant anything. I am at a loss..

    Cinderella was Ashley.
    ash is a synonym of cinder

    Evil Queen = Regina (Latin for "queen")
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  3. #463
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Just for fun, some other "name stuff":

    Snow White/Mary Margaret Blanchard = blanc/blanche --> French for white
    Jiminy Cricket/Archie Hopper --> hopper is pretty obvious
    In this episode, the twins' mother's last name, Zimmer --> German for room
    Magic Mirror's Storybrook name is Sydney Glass
    Red Riding Hood's Storybrook name is Ruby

    There may be others; this is a quickie list.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  4. #464
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,696

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I thought motorcycle guy would be Henry's dad too! But then Emma didn't seem to recognize him - and he would be really tough to forget I was trying to think of connections with pumpkin pie...and a fire fighter...too, but couldn't come up with anything. I was thinking maybe since Rumpy had the whole setting fire thing when he stole the dagger, and his son was there, maybe the fact that Henry's dad was a fire fighter was a clue. But then Emma said she made up the story, so

    I remember the birth certificates guy's name sounded like cris-cros-skowski, but obviously the spelling is all wrong.
    Krzyszkowski - it's Polish.

    pronuouced krzysz . kow. ski

    The first syllable consists of the sound k + rz + y + sz


    PS: got the spelling from the cast list from TV.com - Free Full Episodes & Clips, Show Info and TV Listings Guide
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-16-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #465
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Krzyszkowski - it's Polish.

    pronuouced krzysz . kow. ski

    The first syllable consists of the sound k + rz + y + sz
    In Polish, the noun "krzyż," ["ż" is essentially the same as "sz"] can be translated as "back" (the body part) or "cross." (I don't know if that means anything for the storylines...)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  6. #466
    I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    At the High Rollers Table
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Just for fun, some other "name stuff":

    Snow White/Mary Margaret Blanchard = blanc/blanche --> French for white
    Jiminy Cricket/Archie Hopper --> hopper is pretty obvious
    In this episode, the twins' mother's last name, Zimmer --> German for room
    Magic Mirror's Storybrook name is Sydney Glass
    Red Riding Hood's Storybrook name is Ruby

    There may be others; this is a quickie list.
    I know that there was a list many posts back (Once Upon A Time ABC#183-#185) But looking it over again.. I don't think many new ones were added since however since most of what has been shown is back story.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

    "Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

  7. #467
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I know that there was a list many posts back (Once Upon A Time ABC#183-#185) But looking it over again.. I don't think many new ones were added since however since most of what has been shown is back story.
    Thanks! Found 'em.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  8. #468
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,254

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    In Polish, the noun "krzyż," ["ż" is essentially the same as "sz"] can be translated as "back" (the body part) or "cross." (I don't know if that means anything for the storylines...)
    Thanks, Ellen!
    Does kow or ski mean anything? They are common endings in Polish names, I figure they must mean something in Polish...e.g., like the son in Johnson. Since EQ said that SW was hanging out with dwarves plural, and we think we idientified "Sneezy" we were wondering if Mr. K was another...otherwise he and all the business about his name seem kind of pointless. That name must be important somehow...

    Edited to add: OK, according to an internet search... from yahoo answers.com

    Polish.

    -owski is acutally two suffixes combined together: -ow (meaning from the place of) and -ski (meaning son of). They can also be used separately. For example:

    Janski (son of Jan)
    Janow (from Jan's place)
    Janowski (son of someone from Jan's place)

    Kowal (smith)
    Kowalski (son of the smith)
    Kowalow (from the smith's place)
    Kowalowski (son of someone from the smith's place)


    So his name would probably be "son of someone from the place of the cross (or Cross)" I guess could be crossroads as well... although maybe there is an unaccounted for K in there that could change things.

    THere's also a Polish village named Krzyżkowice.

    Sure doesn't relate to a Disney dwarf... of course it could just be an in joke by the writers.
    Last edited by PWS; 01-16-2012 at 11:55 PM.

  9. #469
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,696

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    In Polish, the noun "krzyż," ["ż" is essentially the same as "sz"] can be translated as "back" (the body part) or "cross." (I don't know if that means anything for the storylines...)
    I have to beg to differ on the pronunciation of letters in the Polish alphabet z does not equal to sz. In fact there are three different z's I just don't know how to type them in English.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-17-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  10. #470
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,067

    Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have to beg to differ on the pronunciation of letters in the Polish alphabet z does not equal to sz. In fact there are three different z's I just don't know how to type them in English.
    True — ż is palatalized and voiced — so, more like rz —while sz isn't. (Polish is among the languages I've studied.) That's why I modified my statement with "essentially," as I doubt that the writers would make that distinction. Maybe they're just setting up for a Slavic-based tale coming up? Or maybe just messin' with us.
    Last edited by Ellen; 01-17-2012 at 12:40 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.