+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 222 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast
Like Tree1125Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

I don't have any feelings one way or the other about Rumpy being present in all the stories, but I am fascinated by the fact that he seems to be hunting down all the fairies and killing them and taking their wands. First he offed Cinderella's fairy godmother, then he bargained with the dead Prince Charming's father to tell him where his special fairy was in exchange for bringing him the twin son. I wonder what happens to goodness in Fairy Tale Land when there are no fairy's left, and Rumpy has all the wands?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I completely agree I do think he is more powerful...everyone knows to go to him for the most powerful magic (which of course comes with a powerful price). I also think he's more evil than the queen. Not that she isn't truly rotten....but Lana Parilla plays her so that every once in a blue moon you see a subtle sliver of humanity, and you think at least she realizes she is evil, and for a few seconds anyway, wishes she weren't. Her motivation I think is very different from Rumpy who just flat out enjoys playing puppet master and ruining lives. Robert Carlyle is fabulous in the role...deliciously evil I hope we get more background on him soon - he seems to have his twisted little fingers in everyone's story!
    Great observations. There have been 2 or 3 times when you got a glimpse behind the EQ/Mayor's mask and wondered, is she truly evil or just twisted by bitterness? That scene in the kitchen with her and the wife, for example. Rumpy, however, is just Rumpy, happy to stir up trouble.

There's an old term from the world of the theater, "audience authority." It means when an actor can command the audience's attention even when there are other people on the stage. Carlyle the actor has it in spades. For instance, I didn't realize until I saw it for the second time that during that scene in the pawn shop, Carlyle never moved from his spot behind the counter for the entire scene. He didn't even move his body while he stood in that spot. And yet, while David moved around the shop, you felt drawn back to Mr. Gold, or at least I was. And that little bit where David comments how the mayor should know her own town, and Gold replies, "You would think, wouldn't you?" That look on his face just sent shivers down my spine. It just seemed to be a subtle indication once again that he had more power than the queen. Loved it!

OTOH, we talked about Rumpy's character being diluted in FT land. This epi was a great example. You didn't need Rumpy for the Prince's backstory. They could have simply said that the king discovered a peasant woman with two sons (maybe from a palace servant?) and arranged to take one. I think that would have added to Mr. Gold's mystique. If he wasn't in on the original deal, then how would he know who David really was in Storybooke? It would make him seem even more powerful.

And yeah, I love Rumpy's voice, too. I love both of the voices that Carlyle uses, but there's just something about Rumpy's that I like more.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    There's an old term from the world of the theater, "audience authority." It means when an actor can command the audience's attention even when there are other people on the stage. Carlyle the actor has it in spades. For instance, I didn't realize until I saw it for the second time that during that scene in the pawn shop, Carlyle never moved from his spot behind the counter for the entire scene. He didn't even move his body while he stood in that spot. And yet, while David moved around the shop, you felt drawn back to Mr. Gold, or at least I was. And that little bit where David comments how the mayor should know her own town, and Gold replies, "You would think, wouldn't you?" That look on his face just sent shivers down my spine. It just seemed to be a subtle indication once again that he had more power than the queen. Loved it!.
    As was I. He's such a delicious character and I don't think I've seen him in anything before, but I am definitely a fan now.
    alizarules likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    As was I. He's such a delicious character and I don't think I've seen him in anything before, but I am definitely a fan now.
    Did you see The Full Monty, JJ?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Believe Robert Carlyle can play evil and despicable to the hilt, he was truly well hated as Dr. Nicholas Rush on Stargate Universe.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

LOVED him in Full Monty. He was also in Trainspotting and a slew of other things you just dont hink of. He is a wonderful actor.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Did you see The Full Monty, JJ?
    No. It's on my list but I just never seem to get around to it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I've always liked Robert Carlyle's work. Babbred was absolutely correct about his "audience authority." There are some actors who just have it in them to draw your attention and most of them have theater credentials. Several years ago, he had his own British mystery series, Hamish MacBeth, that I rented and completely enjoyed.

In OUAT I think he's the needed focal character that draws the whole story together, so it makes sense for him to appear in all the fairy tales.
    alizarules likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It's funny, because all I've seen Carlyle do before this was Full Monty. At first it was hard for me to wrap my head around being a villain since he was so sympathetic in the movie. I absolutely love him now, though.

That's a good observation, Florimel, about him drawing the story together. If he's supposed to be this all-powerful character, maybe even more than the EQ, than it would make sense for the characters' stories to converge on him.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Found some interesting tidbits about the copyright status of Peter Pan in Wikipedia, yes, I know not the most reliable of sources, but it is quick and easy.

Peter and Wendy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh, how shocking Disney doing something under handed.
    SyFy presented a mini-series called Neverland ths past weekend and the character names were intact - all except Wendy and and her brothers, as they were not part of this story. This movie explores how it all happened and was interesting, but not riveting.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread