+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1086Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I am not a deep thinker. Actually my thoughts float along a shallow creek enjoying the view, but one of them bumped into a rock when Robin Hood was introduced this past episode.

Robin Hood is NOT a fairytale character nor is he a fantasy character invented by one particular writer. He is a legend brought along by minstrals, muses and poets who may or may not be based on an actual person in an actual time in an actual place.

I've put up with the Disneyfication of Grimm Bros fictional characters and Lewis Carroll fictional characters because the writers of the show have been able to make them human enough to drive storylines. Captain Hook, for instance, is also derived from a fictional character and I would think they could use OZ characters from Frank L. Baum, and maybe even wizard/dragon characters from Ursula K. Le Guin. If they want to be true to a cartoon character (Disney) for Robin Hood, they would have made him a fox. Oh, and Robin Hood did not have magic arrows that never miss because he didn't have or use magic...and where was Little John? My thought as it slams against the rock is wincing.

This is a request to keep legendary historical figures out of the fictional mix of characters.

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel, too. Although we don't know who he was, many historians do believe he was based on a real person. And the songs about him are filled with specific historical details, such as the names of kings. His legendary skill with a bow and arrow was a reflection of the fearsome reputation English/Welsh archers had in battle. It had nothing to do with magic. Last summer when Hubby and I went back to England we actually visited the site of Nottingham Castle. Since it was a royal castle, Prince John and King Richard would have stayed there.

So yes, Robin is based in reality, not fiction.
    Last edited by Babbred; 04-23-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    Florimel likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

There was an interview (or perhaps a transcript of a question/answer conversation) where the writers defended their decision to include Dr Frankenstein by saying that they NEVER intended to have ONLY characters from well-know Fairy Tales. They were open to all literary figures, whether they be real or imagined, hero or villain.

Infinite possibilities . . . . . . I see nothing wrong with that.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

That is, of course, their prerogative. Dr. Frankenstein is a fictional character. I am uncomfortable when they start mixing in those legends who could have been real persons or a conglomerate of real persons.

There is always a discussion of whether King Arthur was real or if his legend is based on a king of that era, so they could have him enter the scene wielding the magically infused Excalibur. What about Shakespeare, who is also thought by some to be an invention of another writer? He could sit in the cafe and pen sonnets for the lovelorn.

My upset made known, I'll push off the rock and continue floating downstream through meadows and forests. Hey, am I floating through Sherwood Forest or the Enchanted Forest? To the writers they are one and the same. All right...floating peacefully...
    Ellen and Babbred like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Many historians believe that Arthur was more akin to a Celtic chieftain who rallied the other tribes to fight off the Germanic invaders. There are references to Arturus and place names from the later medieval legends in ancient chronicles written by monks. The real fun would come introducing Myrddin/Merlin (he was Welsh before he was English). He was generally portrayed as a sorcerer and prophet. Might give Gold and Regina a run for their money.

I love the idea of Shakespeare/Earl of Oxford/Francis Bacon sitting in Granny's cafe writing sonnnets.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Making portals.
    Ah right, thanks, now I recall they even mentioned that. Not sure how that works though....are beans what Pinnochio's dad used to make the original portal? To make the wood magic? Or is this an alternative portal making approach?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Ah right, thanks, now I recall they even mentioned that. Not sure how that works though....are beans what Pinnochio's dad used to make the original portal? To make the wood magic? Or is this an alternative portal making approach?
    I think the portal that Geppetto made had to do with the wood of the tree and some spell cast by the Blue Fairy. Beans have been used twice that I know of. Once was to create the portal that Baelfire went through when he left FT land, and the other time was to bring Hook and Cora to this world via the pirate ship.

We never quite saw how that latter one worked. All we know is that they had a seemingly useless petrified bean and were at a lake that could bring things back to life.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Rumple met a seer, and she told him of his future.
    I meant how does Rumple currently see the future, that lady gave him that power didnt he? Or does he not have that ability in Storybrooke? I know he did in EF because of his reaction to Cora saying brides are usually snow white.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Rumple can't see the future. I didn't think any of the characters could.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

He met the seer on the battlefield before he took the magic dagger and became the dark one. What she saw for him has come true, the last being that the boy would be his downfall. Now, did she mean his boy, Bael, or Bael's son, Henry? I wonder if Gold even knows at this point. It's kind of like when there were two boys of the same age born on July 30th and Voldemort chose to kill Harry and not Neville; yet it was Neville who killed the last container of Voldemort's soul - the snake. I do think Rumple/Gold has the same dilemma.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    I meant how does Rumple currently see the future, that lady gave him that power didnt he? Or does he not have that ability in Storybrooke? I know he did in EF because of his reaction to Cora saying brides are usually snow white.
    You're right. He did say something at Cora's wedding about knowing the future and how ironic her statement was. I'd like to go back to the show where the seer dies and see if she gave him her powers. I can't remember anymore.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread