+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1148Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Unless it was all a bad dream and he was just in the shower...

I know, I know. Really lame. I can't help myself, though. I'm an optimist.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

The name of the episode tomorrow is "Welcome to Storybrooke." Originally I thought it had to do with that stranger coming to town, and that he got people he knew to come investigate the town. But from what I've seen, it looks like it's really about when everybody first got to Storybrooke 29 years ago. Maybe it will answer some questions (which we probably don't remember wondering about).
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

Interesting episode. At first I didn't recognize Rose McGowan at all as the younger Cora. All I could think of was what have you done to your face. Too much drinking and drugs? Botox? Very bad eye surgery? Then I realized that some of it was makeup to make her look more like Barbara Hershey ala Cora.

What I don't get is this endless diatribe about killing the bad guy. In all the fairy tales I have every read the good guy is always awarded the keys to the kingdom, the princesses hand in marriage for killing the "Evil One", so why all this agonizing over Snow killing Cora? They have shown Snow kill orges etc... so why is it so bad to kill Cora? I just find that stupid and childish and just bad writing. It's like Snow is held to a totally different standard than the other characters.

Potential plot hole. When it turns out that Princess Ava is the one that tripped Cora, and it was a mean and deliberate act and yet last week we saw Ava telling Snow not to act like a spoiled brat, that she wasn't better than her maid servant I thought that was a big Aha moment. Characters do not change fundamentally like that. If you are a mean girl and a bully in high school you don't change that much as an adult; you are a mean, conniving, backstabbing adult.

Overall I thought it was a good episode. It was nice to see the threads linking characters and events. I do wonder since Cora married Prince Henry and had given birth to the Royal Heir and next Queen, why where Cora, Henry and Regina living in the country and why was Cora so determined that Regina marry another King and why didn't Regina know that she was the Princess Royal????
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Interesting episode. At first I didn't recognize Rose McGowan at all as the younger Cora. All I could think of was what have you done to your face. Too much drinking and drugs? Botox? Very bad eye surgery? Then I realized that some of it was makeup to make her look more like Barbara Hershey ala Cora.

What I don't get is this endless diatribe about killing the bad guy. In all the fairy tales I have every read the good guy is always awarded the keys to the kingdom, the princesses hand in marriage for killing the "Evil One", so why all this agonizing over Snow killing Cora? They have shown Snow kill orges etc... so why is it so bad to kill Cora? I just find that stupid and childish and just bad writing. It's like Snow is held to a totally different standard than the other characters.

Potential plot hole. When it turns out that Princess Ava is the one that tripped Cora, and it was a mean and deliberate act and yet last week we saw Ava telling Snow not to act like a spoiled brat, that she wasn't better than her maid servant I thought that was a big Aha moment. Characters do not change fundamentally like that. If you are a mean girl and a bully in high school you don't change that much as an adult; you are a mean, conniving, backstabbing adult.

Overall I thought it was a good episode. It was nice to see the threads linking characters and events. I do wonder since Cora married Prince Henry and had given birth to the Royal Heir and next Queen, why where Cora, Henry and Regina living in the country and why was Cora so determined that Regina marry another King and why didn't Regina know that she was the Princess Royal????
    I assumed that Henry was the prince in a different kingdom from Snow's father and that their kingdom fell upon hard times or was overtaken by another kingdom. It would be a nice thing, though, if they actually did something to explain that.

When Regina was first introduced and Snow was hanging out with her and with Cora, was Regina's family introduced as being royals in any way? I don't remember. I would think that they would have had to be some version of royalty in order for Regina to be able to marry Snow's father.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, I know I should know, but on tonignt's show....I recognize the father who was camping out and stumbled into Storybooke when the curse took effect, but I don't know if it is from seeing him earlier on the show (if so, could someone please remind me of where/how?), or if I just recognize the actor. Basically now that we know the interloper is the grown up child who Regina wanted to take, I want to know if his dad is already dead or if he's a Storybooke regular whom I've forgotten.
    Thanks!
    Poor Snow....I hope she can purify her heart in some way.

CCL

John Pyper-Ferguson played the father. Imdb does not have him being on the show before. I kept thinking he looked like Bronn from Game of Thrones.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post

I think maybe it's because the characters now live in our "soft and fuzzy" modern times. I read an article about this before. The author was talking about how when writers create a historical movie or TV show, they can't make the characters historical. At least not the hero, anyway. People were way more violent and prejudiced way back when and we tolerant, enlightened moderns just don't like that. That's why, no matter the era, the hero will be a pacifist, tolerant, and just all-around good guy. (Downton Abbey is a great example of this.) Technically this show is not historical. However, the characters come from some other place that is violent and cruel. Therefore, the writers have to "clean them up" so that viewers will accept them.

Personally, I agree with you.

I thought it was Snow's mother who gave her the lecture about not being better than Mrs. Patmore, er her maidservant?

Especially when Cora held up the infant Regina and said, "Here's your next queen!" to the people. That totally confused me.

Loved last night's episode. Cried over the little Owen subplot. Loved some of the dialogue.

"Cora was dangerous because she didn't have a heart. Regina is dangerous because she does."

(After Snow asks Gold how he can live with himself for the bad things he's done, trying to console herself) "You just keep telling yourself you did it for a good reason, and sooner or later you'll believe it."
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

What I don't understand is that when Regina let Owen go, why didn't she release his father?
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I'd like to slap Mary Margaret and tell her to snap out of it. I agree with what you said, Bearcata, about the over-the-top insanity about killing the bad guy. Does MM not learn? It was either Cora or them. If Cora lived, each of them would eventually not live. And considering Snow being a warrior in FTL, I can't figure out why she's out of her mind with grief over being part of Cora's demise. It's not like she killed Granny.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I thought it was Snow's mother who gave her the lecture about not being better than Mrs. Patmore, er her maidservant?
    It was. But Snow's mother is Ava, and the princess who tripped young Cora is Ava. Pretty certain they are the same person - especially since it explains why Cora was intent on killing her. I think that's what Bearcata was saying. How could young Ava have been so cruel, then later in life had such a turnaround to become very considerate and thoughful? Maybe we'll find out someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    What I don't understand is that when Regina let Owen go, why didn't she release his father?
    My guess is Regina panicked and decided he couldn't be set free to others know about the town. I'm curious if he was locked up in that asylum where Belle was. Is he still alive? He'd probably be around 60 or so by now.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

here is what I am confused about. So when Storybrook first "fell to earth" it was pretty much like the movie groundhog day with the same things happening everyday, did I understand that correctly? When did that stop happening, when Emma arrived?
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

+ Reply to Thread