+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1104Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Plus he shrunk about a foot too.
    This was one of the better episodes, it was clever on so many levels:
    First the backstory about Rumple & Cora was very interesting & informative.
    Maybe, but I thought it was just blah. I was SO glad that Regina had a father other than Rumpy. That would have been too darn soap operaish to have have Regina turn out to be Rumpy's (illegitimate?) kid. Anybody want to sort out that family tree?

Then after Cora tried to get Snow to use the death candle, it all came back around & ended up being her own undoing. Snow finally cracked from her always good & kind demeanor, but it was Cora's own magic that came back on her.

That was a great story. I wonder if they'll ever show more of Snow's darker edge? I mean, she turned good again in the end, but she can't go back now. She has tapped in to her dark side, so she'll always know that she has that potential if she wants to tap it again. Great character development.

Also great story on another level. Is it ever justified to use bad means to bring an end to evil? Does that lower you to the level of the evil person? Or are there times when "the end justifies the means"? You could get deep with this stuff.

Then the both irony & just desserts of the end - Cora killed Snow's mother so Regin could be Queen, Regina killed Snow's father, & Snow killed Cora, Regina's mother. Interesting. I guess she & Regina are kind of even now.

That kind of confused me. Near the end, Cora held up the infant Regina and said, "She will be queen!" before her husband's subjects. I took that to mean that there was no bar to females inheriting the throne in that kingdom--like Great Britain. (My husband is British so gotta give a shout out to Kate and Queen Elizabeth!) So, why, then, did Cora need to plot and scheme to make Regina queen of another kingdom?

I need a 10-year-old to explain this.

Cora was great, but it was time for her to go. The double dose of evil that she & Regina had going on together was a bit much. Something had to break that up.
    And now, Regina has an even bigger grudge.

It ought to be interesting to see what's coming.

Couldn't agree more about Cora going. I hope they don't find a way to bring her back, say in FTL. It was just too much, and Regina didn't need any help being evil. She was doing a great job of it by herself. She and Rumpy are my two favorite characters on this show. I loved the early episodes when the two of them were dueling it out for control of Storybooke.

Speaking of which, did Rumpy's fling with Cora come before he met Belle? If so, then I guess he could be forgiven. Still, though, when Belle regains her memory, I wonder how she will feel about that if she finds out. That's another reason I'm glad Regina isn't his child. How could Belle ever get past that if she had a constant reminder in her face?

Edited to add: If Cora did come before Belle, then that adds another fascinating layer. Rumpy thought he had to have a woman who would love him because of his dark nature. Then he found somebody who would love him despite his dark nature. Ahhhhh.

Has Robert Carlyle won an Emmy for playing Rumpy? If not, then we need to start a write-in campaign.
    Last edited by Babbred; 03-11-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Ellen likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And Belle doesn't just love him despite his dark nature, she sees the good still in him and brings it out. You can see when R is imagining a future with Cora and their child that even then there was a lot of "good" in him, which took a beating when she betrayed him. Cora was definitely BEFORE Belle I'd say.

In England, until this week, a woman could only become queen if she had no brothers to inherit. Elizabeth I had a younger half brother who reigned before her (and an older half sister who reigned after him and before E I), and who, luckily for England, died young. Elizabeth II had no brothers, just a younger sister. Now they are changing it so that Kate's first child will rule, whatever the sex. In line with an equality proclamation the Queen is issueing this week.

Re the family tree if Regina had been Rumpy's kid... So his daughter adopted his grandson who was also her nephew from her half brother.... And if Emma and Bae had married, Regina and Emma would have been sisters-in-law!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    And Belle doesn't just love him despite his dark nature, she sees the good still in him and brings it out. You can see when R is imagining a future with Cora and their child that even then there was a lot of "good" in him, which took a beating when she betrayed him. Cora was definitely BEFORE Belle I'd say.

In England, until this week, a woman could only become queen if she had no brothers to inherit. Elizabeth I had a younger half brother who reigned before her (and an older half sister who reigned after him and before E I), and who, luckily for England, died young. Elizabeth II had no brothers, just a younger sister. Now they are changing it so that Kate's first child will rule, whatever the sex. In line with an equality proclamation the Queen is issueing this week.

Yes, lucky for England that Edward VI died, allowing his sister to reign. Actually, it's fascinating. When he died, all the heirs to the throne, including distant cousins, were female. That really put people's knickers in a twist since of course women weren't supposed to rule!

I was referring to what's known as the "Salic law," which means that a woman can't inherit, even if she has no brothers. France is a great example of this. Back when they had kings, only men could inherit the throne. If a king didn't have sons, the throne would pass to the nearest male heir upon the king's death, even if he had a daughter. England is actually the exception in this regard, since most European kingdoms followed the Salic law.

Since Cora said emphatically "She WILL be queen," then that could mean a couple of things.

--She had no intention of having other children (which would actually be plausible for her).

--Her husband's kingdom was ahead of its time in being enlightened.

Re the family tree if Regina had been Rumpy's kid... So his daughter adopted his grandson who was also her nephew from her half brother.... And if Emma and Bae had married, Regina and Emma would have been sisters-in-law!

And I thought things got complicated here in the South!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I thought young Cora did a great job. I really saw her as Cora. But I just couldn't help constantly being distracted by her mouth. That whole fat upper lip thing has got to stop! It looks phony, distracting & just isn't attractive. I had a hard time focusing on anything but that awful liver lip.

When will women realize this ISN'T a good look. Attractive women are making themselves look deformed or like they've had a bad lip infection.
    BuckeyeAddict and Babbred like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Cora's younger self has played a witch before...actually half white lighter half witch as Paige the fourth sister on Charmed. I hadn't seen the actress in so long that it bothered me the whole show until I recognized her.

So Cora rips out her own heart to defeat feelings of love, then receives it back in an act of evil that she tried to get the young Snow to carry out. This, folks, is known as karma with a capital K.

We were reminded that Emma has an innate magic, previously developed by Rumple/Gold and I wonder where that will go in the battle with Regina.

Good show that tied in the new information from last week. The writing is beginning to tighten which can only be a good thing.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Then the both irony & just desserts of the end - Cora killed Snow's mother so Regin could be Queen, Regina killed Snow's father, & Snow killed Cora, Regina's mother. Interesting. I guess she & Regina are kind of even now.
    Wow! I didn't even think of that! It's enough to make your head spin.

My two favorite parts of the show – when Neal told Gold he was still angry, but then evidently forgave him anyway. Be still my heart! And the other part was when young Cora said brides are supposed to wear snow white, and Rumple giggled and said “When you see the future there is irony everywhere.''

I’m loving Neal’s hidden talents that we’re learning about! Steering pirate ships, wielding swords! What’s next? And where did he and Emma get cast off to? I don't suppose anyone knows for sure yet. They're in the woods - but are they the woods nearby? Or are they lost? Will this give them time to sort things out and for him to realize it's time to break off his engagement? I think they will reconcile, but probably not for awhile.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

I have what I guess is a silly thing that has bothered me since the beginning of this show. Snow White was supposed to be very feminine and stunningly beautiful. Did not the mirror proclaim snow as the fairest of them all? Ginnifer Goodwin is a good actress, but to me she looks like a little boy. Perhaps growing her hair a little would help.
    ilja likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I haven't yet seen last night's show, but I think Rumplestiltskin is the only one who doesn't age, so Cora would have to have come long before Belle, since her daughter Regina is older than Belle. Didn't Rumpie and Belle get together not too long before the curse took effect?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think as Snow White, with long hair in FTL, she looks more traditionally feminine. As Mary Margaret, I agree, rather boyish.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    I haven't yet seen last night's show, but I think Rumplestiltskin is the only one who doesn't age, so Cora would have to have come long before Belle, since her daughter Regina is older than Belle. Didn't Rumpie and Belle get together not too long before the curse took effect?
    When Rump fell in love with Belle, Regina did what she could to mess that up. So Regina was around at the time. Cora's relationship must have been 20 years earlier. (He wanted to be Regina's dad.)

Bravo Cora!!!! And Bravo to the writer/s.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread