+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 226 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree1153Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

I used to read Grimm when I was younger... they definitely are NOT Disney! Loved them though!

Gut--the EQ went back to the jail and asked Rumple why the "big evil" wasn't unleashed after the ceremony and sacrifice. Rumple said the heart used in the sacrifice needed to be from what she loved most, which was her father, so she killed him! Then we learned that her fathers name was also Henry. Waaaaaaa, now THAT is evil! Turns out in Storybrook, Rumple was also the person who brought baby Henry to the EQ Mayor for adoption. In Storybrook, there was more after the limb was cut from the apple tree, so if you get a chance to watch the rest it would be worth your time!

Thanks! I'll do that.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I have, or used to have, a book that detailed the evolution of fairy tales from the gruesome originals to the more saccharine ones we know today. I can't remember the title, but I'll see if I can find it. It's really quite interesting.
    Okay, I found the book! It's called The Classic Fairy Tales and the authors are Iona and Peter Opie. It's still in print: Oxford University Press: The Classic Fairy Tales: Iona Opie
    It gives the original versions of many fairy tales - Grimm, Anderson and a few others - and also talks about the history and origins of the stories. There are also lots of cool illustrations from everyone from Arthur Rackham (probably my favorite) to Disney. Very interesting stuff! I have a feeling many of us are going to be reading fairy tales now!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Tried to watch it once...not going to watch it again.

OK. This is nit-picky, but as a fan of Honeycrisp apples, I was really irritated that they couldn't go to the trouble of getting apples that looked like Honeycrisps. If you're going to have the Mayor give a big speech to Emma about Honeycrisps and then offer her apples from her Honeycrisp tree, don't insult me my giving her a Jonathan! Grrr!
    alizarules and beerbelly like this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I caught that too, Miss_Griss If they're shooting in California, they were likely not even Jonathan's - they have a super short season out here and are really hard to find. They looked like plain old Red Delicious to me.
    alizarules likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I just ordered the original Grimm tales for my Kindle priced at -0- dollars. I haven't peeked yet, but I have a feeling they won't resemble the Disney versions.
    The idea of considering childhood a time of innocence really only developed in the Victorian age (after Grimm). Until then, parents didn't feel much compunction about exposing children to hardships of life. Hence, the original stories of fairy tales are much more violent/cruel than we are used to.

If the producers of this show based it off of Grimm's, then they would have to put it on HBO.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I caught that too, Miss_Griss If they're shooting in California, they were likely not even Jonathan's - they have a super short season out here and are really hard to find. They looked like plain old Red Delicious to me.
    Yes, they were Red Delicious, for sure! I got my red apple names confused. I think they were just lazy or didn't know what a Honeycrisp looks like. It's pretty easy to get Gala's or Braeburns or even Honeycrisps anywhere these days. Any one of those yellow and red stripy varieties would have worked.

As for what folks have been wondering about whether the Mayor and Mr. Gold remember who they are, I think both do. In that last scene when he asked her where she got the name Henry and she reacted, it seemed clear that he knew where the name came from and that she was hurt by the question.

Also, he knew what he was doing when he said "Please." In the dungeon, when he set the condition for her having to obey when he said, "Please," she said something about him not remembering it in that world, anyway, and he said, "Well, then it won't matter, will it?" or something like that. I had the impression then, that he knew that he would remember. After all, it was his curse, so why couldn't he have built an exemption in for himself?

P.S. Laughing at myself Critical for assuming that the apples are available everywhere. I'm just going by the fact that they're available Whole Foods, which may carry a wider selection than regular grocery stores.
    Last edited by Miss_Griss; 11-05-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: More to say
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Okay, I found the book! It's called The Classic Fairy Tales and the authors are Iona and Peter Opie. It's still in print: Oxford University Press: The Classic Fairy Tales: Iona Opie
    It gives the original versions of many fairy tales - Grimm, Anderson and a few others - and also talks about the history and origins of the stories. There are also lots of cool illustrations from everyone from Arthur Rackham (probably my favorite) to Disney. Very interesting stuff! I have a feeling many of us are going to be reading fairy tales now!
    ((Raises hand)) I admit it - I've been reading through fairy tales and dug up a set of Disney fairy tale books from my childhood that I'd given to my daughter, to try to see if I can figure out who Graham (the sheriff) is.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Yes, they were Red Delicious, for sure! I got my red apple names confused. I think they were just lazy or didn't know what a Honeycrisp looks like. It's pretty easy to get Gala's or Braeburns or even Honeycrisps anywhere these days. Any one of those yellow and red stripy varieties would have worked.

As for what folks have been wondering about whether the Mayor and Mr. Gold remember who they are, I think both do. In that last scene when he asked her where she got the name Henry and she reacted, it seemed clear that he knew where the name came from and that she was hurt by the question.

Also, he knew what he was doing when he said "Please." In the dungeon, when he set the condition for her having to obey when he said, "Please," she said something about him not remembering it in that world, anyway, and he said, "Well, then it won't matter, will it?" or something like that. I had the impression then, that he knew that he would remember. After all, it was his curse, so why couldn't he have built an exemption in for himself?
    I've been rethinking my position on this one - I think Rumple definitely remembers and now I'm starting to think the EQ does as well. Her reaction to Mr. Gold asking how she chose the name Henry and her oh s**t look is why I'm leaning towards this. Her reading through the book to see what truths might be in there and then anger at the ending being taken out (b/c she wouldn't know what happened from there) could be a clue leaning towards her knowing. I've been going back and forth but right now I'm thinking she does remember.

----------------------

I didn't want to monopolize the conversation and didn't want to triple post before but there's a 10 min preview and a couple other small previews for tomorrow night's episode 3 online. I'm so excited to see them play out!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    The idea of considering childhood a time of innocence really only developed in the Victorian age (after Grimm). Until then, parents didn't feel much compunction about exposing children to hardships of life. Hence, the original stories of fairy tales are much more violent/cruel than we are used to.

If the producers of this show based it off of Grimm's, then they would have to put it on HBO.
    Especially if they do the original version of Sleeping Beauty!

Miss_Griss - you can't get Jonathan's anywhere here but for a few weeks out of the year - not even at Whole Foods or the speciality stores.

I got the feeling that EQ and Mr. Gold know who they are, especially after he asked about Henry's name.

Did anyone else notice that the toned down Ginnifer Goodwin's eyebrows after the pilot? She looks much softer now in the Storybrook scenes.

+ Reply to Thread