+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1125Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Wow, the amount of hatred for the second season is amazing. I don't get it. Yes, it takes a while for some story arcs to appear and I think half the fun is just sitting back and watching the story unfold at the writers pace, they are the story tellers and they are there to entertain us, not for us to demand all the answers and story arcs to be shown and completed in one episode. Do some episodes feel like wasted space that do not progress the story along? Yes, but every series has that problem when they have to produce 20 to 22 episodes but do not have enough content to do justice to all the episodes. Do I like the fact that the writers are using Disney versions of Fairy Tale characters? No. Do I like the fact that the writers have introduced Doctor Frankenstein in this world? No. But I am willing to sit back and enjoy the ride. I actually liked this episode and want to see what happens next. There were some great lines by Rumple, one by Emma to Hook, and of course the entire dialog between Red and Dr. Whale, especially the Monsters comment at the end of the show.
    Kocky_Kamikaze and KrazeeKy07 like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I'm bummed we don't have a new show tonight or next week. I assume the next episode, Tiny, will be another filler show (although I think there will be some good build up to the following episode), but I am SO looking forward to the next episode on 2/17, Manhattan! I can't wait to see the reaction from Emma & Neal when they come face to face. And IS he Bae? If so, how will that reunion go?

At least Person of Interest is starting back with new episodes this week after a 2-week hiatus.
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I'm bummed we don't have a new show tonight or next week. I assume the next episode, Tiny, will be another filler show (although I think there will be some good build up to the following episode), but I am SO looking forward to the next episode on 2/17, Manhattan! I can't wait to see the reaction from Emma & Neal when they come face to face. And IS he Bae? If so, how will that reunion go?

At least Person of Interest is starting back with new episodes this week after a 2-week hiatus.
    I sometimes really hate it that the networks start shows after the holidays and then play fast and lose with us by airing 2 or 3 episodes and then nothing for 2 or 3 weeks and then on again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Wow, the amount of hatred for the second season is amazing. I don't get it. Yes, it takes a while for some story arcs to appear and I think half the fun is just sitting back and watching the story unfold at the writers pace, they are the story tellers and they are there to entertain us, not for us to demand all the answers and story arcs to be shown and completed in one episode. Do some episodes feel like wasted space that do not progress the story along? Yes, but every series has that problem when they have to produce 20 to 22 episodes but do not have enough content to do justice to all the episodes. Do I like the fact that the writers are using Disney versions of Fairy Tale characters? No. Do I like the fact that the writers have introduced Doctor Frankenstein in this world? No. But I am willing to sit back and enjoy the ride. I actually liked this episode and want to see what happens next. There were some great lines by Rumple, one by Emma to Hook, and of course the entire dialog between Red and Dr. Whale, especially the Monsters comment at the end of the show.

I don't hate the show. I'm just disappointed after the great promise it showed last season. And I certainly don't mind story arcs that don't resolve quickly. In fact, I actually prefer stories that take a while to resolve, so I can see the characters develop. A great example is my other favorite show, "Downton Abbey". The story of Mrs. Hughes maybe having cancer was done in only two episodes. I thought that was a terrible waste. Those episodes had some beautiful moments in them, as she struggled with what it might mean if she did have it, as her friend Mrs. Patmore tried to support her, etc. I would far rather have seen more quality scenes like those then some of the OTT soap operish stuff we've seen this season.

Like OUAT, DA is a show with multiple characters and storylines. However, there's a major difference. DA has kept the same major characters from Day 1. Their stories may come and go, but it's always the same people. That's precisely why I was moved to tears by the Mrs. Hughes storyline, because I had seen her and Mrs. Patmore develop since the get-go. OTOH, I couldn't care less about half the people or their stories that they've thrown at us in OUAT. Since the writers are frittering away my time with minor characters, then the emotional energy I've invested in the major characters is slowly dissipating.
    Last edited by Babbred; 01-27-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    causingchaos likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

It's Sunday. It's 8pm. I should be watching Once Upon A Time.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I finally got around to watching the Frankenstein episode. It was actually pretty good--except for the Dr. Frank stuff. Speaking of which, though, I was a tad bit surprised that the good doctor was so willing to let his patient die. I thought he should have been the one advocating for the poor guy. Instead, it's Charming? The very first line of the "physician's oath" is "First, do no harm." I know he was supposed to be a flawed character, but still.

And I can kind of understand Belle's reaction. The first thing you remember is sitting upon a roadside with an extremely painful wound, and a stranger yelling over you. Then in the hospital you wake up to find this stranger kissing you. Then this stranger comes into your room unbidden and starts ranting about magic teacups. I would have been screaming, too, or calling for security.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I finally got around to watching the Frankenstein episode. It was actually pretty good--except for the Dr. Frank stuff. Speaking of which, though, I was a tad bit surprised that the good doctor was so willing to let his patient die. I thought he should have been the one advocating for the poor guy. Instead, it's Charming? The very first line of the "physician's oath" is "First, do no harm." I know he was supposed to be a flawed character, but still.

And I can kind of understand Belle's reaction. The first thing you remember is sitting upon a roadside with an extremely painful wound, and a stranger yelling over you. Then in the hospital you wake up to find this stranger kissing you. Then this stranger comes into your room unbidden and starts ranting about magic teacups. I would have been screaming, too, or calling for security.
    In our universe that is true I am not sure if that is so in the world he comes from. Then is he really a scientist vs being a medical doctor?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post

Totally agree! And, not to be "lookist", but Rumple is not as cute as the guy on Grimm, who was in a similar situation--beloved who did not remember him!
    Of course also understand Rumple's behavior, trying anything to bring back her memory, even "true love's kiss".

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post

I'm wondering that myself.

I always DVD each episode so I can fast forward if I need too. With OUAT, I'm afraid I'm going to miss a key sentence, clue or telling facial expression. Therefore, I find myself only FF through the commercials. That is also the reason I keep watching, even the not so great episodes. Even those episodes are of great visual interest to me with great scenery, costumes and makeup.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Bumping up from the bottom of page two to remind everyone . . . . . . the show is back tomorrow night!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread