+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

The latest spoiler hints at

Click to see Spoiler:
    a romance between Emma and Captain Hook.

I don't know if it's true, but if so, I'm not sure I feel about that.

Also, if you "like" ouat on fb, there are weekly itunes podcasts with the creators where they clarify the latest episode and give hints of what's to come. (But that's not where I saw this spoiler.)

thanks nanarama I'll have to look for that podcast...

I listen to a podcast called Greetings from Storybrooke and they gave some spoilers that I hadnt heard about yet:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Ethan Embry (Cant Hardly Wait, That Thing You Do) has been cast, no word as who yet. The upcoming episode not only deals with Jack and the beanstalk, but there were pictures released from set of a younger Emma, looks 18ish, and the mystery man from the first ep of this season- so there will be an Emma's world flashback. So maybe the mystery man is Henry's father?!

I actually went out last week and bought season one, mostly cuz my hubby hasnt seen all the eps. Love the little things I am picking up that I didnt before, and love the audio commentary of eps from various people. Havent seen the other special features yet, will let you all know how those turn out.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    thanks nanarama I'll have to look for that podcast...

I listen to a podcast called Greetings from Storybrooke and they gave some spoilers that I hadnt heard about yet:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Ethan Embry (Cant Hardly Wait, That Thing You Do) has been cast, no word as who yet. The upcoming episode not only deals with Jack and the beanstalk, but there were pictures released from set of a younger Emma, looks 18ish, and the mystery man from the first ep of this season- so there will be an Emma's world flashback. So maybe the mystery man is Henry's father?!

Click to see Spoiler:
    Oh I like him! He was in Sweet Home Alabama as the friend nobody knew was gay. He's on Grey's right now as the doctor fitting Arizona with her new leg.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm behind a few episodes, but wanted to pop in and say that Captain Hook is a hottie!!! I hope he stays around awhile, the town of Storybrook is short on good looking men!
    Ellen and mesachick like this.

Ok, I ragged on the show enough for the Frankenstein scenes. Let me talk about the other side. I really loved the whole Regina plotline. Oh my goodness, when she begged Charming to let her have one more meeting with her fiance I nearly cried. And when she was forced to kill him I lost it. That was such a beautiful scene, with him encouraging her to go on with her life and find somebody new to love. Kudos to the writers for an overall well-done episode.
    AmyKay, Arielflies and Katydyd like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Just a reminder that ANYTHING that hasn't happened on the show yet is considered a spoiler and needs to be posted in spoiler tags. Once it airs on the East coast on Sunday night, it's not a spoiler, but until then, it is.

There are some posters who don't want to know anything about what's coming, so please respect that and use spoiler tags.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

As fairy tales were originally dark, I love it when OUaT gets off its dumbed-down Disney kick and returns to dark roots (even with the cringe-worthy Frankenstein stretch).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Bearcata said:

I nearly spit out my drink laughing when I read this. That's exactly what I thought! I mean, during that whole scene where he failed to revive Regina's lover (?), I kept expecting Igor to pop out and cry hysterically, "Master!" Or of course, to hear the Dr. proclaim, "IT'S ALIVE!" Same thing at the end.

I'm sure Tarzan will come walking out of the woods any day now.

I was confused about that, too. Frankenstein the novel is firmly grounded in early 19th century Europe. So where in the heck else is Dr. Frankenstein supposed to be from? And your line about his brother made me LOL again.

And it's ironic that the writers have Frank's "science" be stronger than "magic." Ok, here's my English Lit degree coming out. The subtitle of Mary Shelley's novel is "The Modern Prometheus". The latter was, in Greek myth, the one who stole fire from the gods in order to give it to mankind. The gods were enraged and sentenced him to eternal torture for his presumption. IOW, Shelley was trying to critique science, not praise it.

And Shelley's husband was Percy Shelley, the great Romantic poet. In fact, she wrote her novel while on holiday with him and Lord Byron, the other icon of English Romantic poetry. The Romantics rebelled against rationalism and placed a huge emphasis the supernatural in their works. In fact, they invented the Gothic romance (haunted castles, maidens in distress, wicked dukes). I just say all this because I think the Shelleys and Byron would have loved this show.
    I'm not happy about the whole frankenstein nonsense, either. First, a land where science is greater than magic...that seemed to suggest earth but we know the hatter couldn't/can't travel to any place without magic. Second, where was this realm that had a dr. frankenstein and how did it become a "once upon a time" scenario. Finally, they've done such a good job of incorporating mostly "legit" fairytale characters and twisting their stories enough to make them interesting while [mostly] maintaining the basics of the story or character...the incorporation of dr. Frankenstein was not handled in this manner, however, and just seems out of place (like a last-minute idea).

As for Lord Byron and his sex-crazed self, I'm guessing he'd prefer Game of Thrones to the PG status of OUAT.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    I'm not happy about the whole frankenstein nonsense, either. First, a land where science is greater than magic...that seemed to suggest earth but we know the hatter couldn't/can't travel to any place without magic. Second, where was this realm that had a dr. frankenstein and how did it become a "once upon a time" scenario. Finally, they've done such a good job of incorporating mostly "legit" fairytale characters and twisting their stories enough to make them interesting while [mostly] maintaining the basics of the story or character...the incorporation of dr. Frankenstein was not handled in this manner, however, and just seems out of place (like a last-minute idea).

Great point! The Dr. kept saying he was superior and yet he was sure happy to use magic to get what he needed.

Also, I loved Jefferson's character in this episode. Up to now he's always been portrayed sympathetically. It was kind of eerie--in a good way--to see him portrayed as a straight-out villain. That raises a question, though: did these events take place before Jeff lost his daughter? Did he go to Rumpy for help? If so, then his character arc is similar to Regina and Rumpy--lose somebody you love, become bitter, and then soften up later on. If these events took place before the disaster in Jeff's own life, then that seems to contradict how he was first introduced. What in the world was he doing helping Rumpy?

As for Lord Byron and his sex-crazed self, I'm guessing he'd prefer Game of Thrones to the PG status of OUAT.

Love it! And so true! And Percy Shelley (Mary's husband) was a waffling, inconsistent man who ruined Mary's reputation when he convinced her to run off with him while he was still married. This is getting eerie....
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Also, I loved Jefferson's character in this episode. Up to now he's always been portrayed sympathetically. It was kind of eerie--in a good way--to see him portrayed as a straight-out villain. That raises a question, though: did these events take place before Jeff lost his daughter? Did he go to Rumpy for help? If so, then his character arc is similar to Regina and Rumpy--lose somebody you love, become bitter, and then soften up later on. If these events took place before the disaster in Jeff's own life, then that seems to contradict how he was first introduced. What in the world was he doing helping Rumpy?

Before, I'm pretty sure. He didn't technically "lose" his daughter. Regina tricked him into taking her to Wonderland, then she left him there. This was after Regina became evil and ripped out her dads heart because that's who she went to Wonderland to retrieve. If I'm remembering correctly. If not, someone please correct me.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread