+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1104Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

My first thought when I heard, "wizard," was Merlin, although I did not like the casting of an African American as Lancelot du Lac any more than I would have liked a Caucasian as Mulan. It didn't make sense to me. I admit I never thought of Frankenstein because it just doesn't seem to fit. I also thought of Gandalf, but again, I would anticipate major licensing issues. I do like the idea of a scientist, but I'd have preferred someone like the Time Traveler from H.G. Wells', The Time Machine or Hari Seldon from Isaac Asimov's Foundation books.

I did not consider any of the Harry Potter wizards as a possibility because Rowling would have demanded a king's ransom for a license to use any of her characters even though one of them might have been a nice companion for Henry.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

So, does anyone have any ideas about what Whale has to do with Frankenstein? Usually there is a tie between the Storybrooke and the Fairy Tale Land names or occupations. I can't think of any kind of a tie with Whale. Just that both are doctors.
    NiceShoes likes this.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

Somewhere between La La Land and Sin City

I read somewhere today that James (I think) Whale directed the 1930s version of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Hence Dr. Whale. Pretty obscure reference if you ask me.

And, I'm still not sure I even like the idea of the Frankenstein story in OUAT. There are so many other fairy tales and literary works that would fit into the show.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHan View Post
    I read somewhere today that James (I think) Whale directed the 1930s version of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Hence Dr. Whale. Pretty obscure reference if you ask me.

And, I'm still not sure I even like the idea of the Frankenstein story in OUAT. There are so many other fairy tales and literary works that would fit into the show.
    I don't know why I didn't think of Googling "Whale Frankenstein" to get that information. That is right - James Whale directed "Frankenstein," at the very least. Yep - pretty darned obscure. But the writers probably didn't want the fans to figure out who he was in advance. Fat chance, considering Dr. Frankenstein isn't a fairy tale character. Just a fictional one.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I don't know why I didn't think of Googling "Whale Frankenstein" to get that information. That is right - James Whale directed "Frankenstein," at the very least. Yep - pretty darned obscure. But the writers probably didn't want the fans to figure out who he was in advance. Fat chance, considering Dr. Frankenstein isn't a fairy tale character. Just a fictional one.
    Thank you for pointing that out. I find it annoying that they are doing that. What next sparkly vampires? If they have Dr. Frankenstein is Count Dracula far behind or the Wolfman?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well, I wonder when Peter Pan and Tinkerbelle will appear?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Bearcata said:

Victor Von Frankenstein. Really? I am not quite sure what I think of that. Well, if Victor is here were is Tarzan?
    I nearly spit out my drink laughing when I read this. That's exactly what I thought! I mean, during that whole scene where he failed to revive Regina's lover (?), I kept expecting Igor to pop out and cry hysterically, "Master!" Or of course, to hear the Dr. proclaim, "IT'S ALIVE!" Same thing at the end.

I'm sure Tarzan will come walking out of the woods any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I was letdown by the reveal of Dr. Whale aka Dr. Frankenstein. It felt like the writers decided last minute that's who he'd be just to tie it in with an episode close to Halloween. And wasn't the mythical Dr. Frankenstein from our "land"? Storybrook, although enchanted, is also part of our land so what land is he trying to get back to? I wonder who his brother is supposed to be. Dracula? The Mummy? The Wolfman?

I was confused about that, too. Frankenstein the novel is firmly grounded in early 19th century Europe. So where in the heck else is Dr. Frankenstein supposed to be from? And your line about his brother made me LOL again.

And it's ironic that the writers have Frank's "science" be stronger than "magic." Ok, here's my English Lit degree coming out. The subtitle of Mary Shelley's novel is "The Modern Prometheus". The latter was, in Greek myth, the one who stole fire from the gods in order to give it to mankind. The gods were enraged and sentenced him to eternal torture for his presumption. IOW, Shelley was trying to critique science, not praise it.

And Shelley's husband was Percy Shelley, the great Romantic poet. In fact, she wrote her novel while on holiday with him and Lord Byron, the other icon of English Romantic poetry. The Romantics rebelled against rationalism and placed a huge emphasis the supernatural in their works. In fact, they invented the Gothic romance (haunted castles, maidens in distress, wicked dukes). I just say all this because I think the Shelleys and Byron would have loved this show.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I nearly spit out my drink laughing when I read this. That's exactly what I thought! I mean, during that whole scene where he failed to revive Regina's lover (?), I kept expecting Igor to pop out and cry hysterically, "Master!" Or of course, to hear the Dr. proclaim, "IT'S ALIVE!"
    I had Young Frankenstein running through my head:
    - Monster Daniel mumble-singing "Puttin' on the Ritz"
    - Regina singing "...Oh, sweet mystery of life, at last, I've found you..."
    - Marty Feldman...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I liked this episode and kind of thought Frankenstein was tying in to a Halloween episode?

I was hoping he was The Wizard - there were a couple of references and when Jefferson said "we're off", I thought, oh cool - it is him, only to be let down with it being Frankenstein. I just never cared for that 'story' because it's so dark and I wouldn't associate it with OUaT. Oh well.

As disappointed as I was about that, it pales with how happy I am to know Emma's got her 'I know you're lying' mojo back!! Loved, loved that she called Hook out and loved that none of her companions questioned her at all and listened to her.

It's funny - I've noticed all the things we (I) complained about last season - MM being too wishy-washy, James being a coward, Emma not being able to read Sydney or use 'her power' have all been rectified this season. Other than Whale's identity, I haven't found anything to be disappointed about.

Am looking forward to seeing Emma's background and what happens in FTL next week!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The power DID stay on for us Sunday night . . . being in NC means we usually get the storms first, while skies are sunny and clear up north. We had some satellite pixing but I did get to see the show in it's entirety.

I am also wondering who the brother is going to be. Dr. Whale reference him too many times for him (the brother) to not make another appearance.

Just something I wondered about: the horses in the stable . . . are they of the fairytale land variety? They seemed rather disturbed at the presence of the "stable boy", but then again, he was the "undead stable boy".
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread