+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

I hardly ever do these link things but I was reading This Slate thing the other day.

Have to say I agree with this 100%. It is a lot of princesses. And as much as we can split hairs the only reason Mulan is on this show is because it is a Disney owned channel. The writers would not have sat down and thought about using that particular legend. Doesn't matter that she or any of these other people existed before the show. This is a tour of Disney characters for the most part and why not? Realistically the issues with rights is all nicely tied up with this show. Which was tolerable to me up until it was nauseatingly blatant. My other bleh moment is the chipped cup from the Belle story.

I was thinking about least season and after the first episode this season too thinking hmm there's a bunch of characters that just seemed to poof and vanish. I wonder what happened to them... why are we getting even more new ones again?

I couldn't help but look at this new princess and think the actress totally didn't shake her whole Mary Tudor persona before taking this role. Which I found a little amusing too. I wish they would have went on with the Tudors into her reign with that actress. But that's totally off topic.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I actually really liked the first episode and don't mind Mulan, though I will definitely change my opinion if she ends up messing with my fave Disney couple, Philip & Aurora!! Then I might have to throw down.

Interesting theory about the white rabbit. I'd automatically assumed it was Bael but I did notice the hatter sign so the WR would make a lot of sense.

I'm so happy Snow is back and mousy little MM is gone! It will be interesting to see she & Emma interact now that Emma knows the truth and is bitter about it. If only she'd remembered Jefferson and his daughter, she'd realize she probably wouldn't have been with Snow & Charming. We all know the Queen would've had her in some mega-dysfunctional family. But I wonder how much Snow is going to push her and how she'll react to it.

I was really hoping they were going back in time b/c I want to see Graham again (no, I can't let him go and want him reunited with Emma!) but it'll def be interesting to see which other characters remained in fairy tale land...and why.

I'm excited the show is back and can't wait to see who's going to make an appearance next, Disney characters or not.

And re: the dementors - I didn't even think of them that way until DH made a comment when they started stealing the soul and said they were ripping off HP. I just thought of them as someone earlier mentioned, as every other wraith in other books. But after DH's comments, I couldn't get past the Harry Potter similarity...
    KrazeeKy07 likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I hardly ever do these link things but I was reading This Slate thing the other day.

Have to say I agree with this 100%. It is a lot of princesses. And as much as we can split hairs the only reason Mulan is on this show is because it is a Disney owned channel. The writers would not have sat down and thought about using that particular legend. Doesn't matter that she or any of these other people existed before the show. This is a tour of Disney characters for the most part and why not? Realistically the issues with rights is all nicely tied up with this show. Which was tolerable to me up until it was nauseatingly blatant. My other bleh moment is the chipped cup from the Belle story.

You beat me to it! I kept meaning to post that article but didn't get around to it. Thanks! I loved the author's comparison of the kick-butt women from last season (Snow as a bandit, Red as the Wolf) and the princess-of-the-week we're getting now. It totally summed up my feelings.

And yeah, the whole chipped cup thing does nothing for me, either. But then again, I'm biased. Call me a grouch, but I have just never seen the B & B story as romantic. Girl falls in "love" with her abductor/jailer? That's not romantic to me. That's creepy in a Stockholme Syndromish kind of way. There's an article on Cracked that nicely dovetails with how I feel. I'm not sure if I can link to a website that has swearing, so here's an excerpt.

7 Classic Disney Movies That Taught Us Terrible Lessons

Beauty and the Beast: Just Because He's Abusive, Doesn't Mean He's Not a Really Good Guy

The Supposed Message:

Treat others the way you wish to be treated!

The Actual Message:

Underneath the abusive exterior of your man is a loving heart he's just dying to share with you.

First of all, Belle was a prisoner in the Beast's ***** castle. Nothing says "I love you" like house arrest....

I was thinking about least season and after the first episode this season too thinking hmm there's a bunch of characters that just seemed to poof and vanish. I wonder what happened to them... why are we getting even more new ones again?

I've been wondering about that, too. Like what happened to that woman who helped Snow and Charming? Blast it, I can't remember her name. But she agreed to try and wrangle some information out of Rumpy on behalf of S & C by pretending that she had something he wanted. Rumpy saw through her ruse, though, and made her lover disappear. That was the last we saw of the woman or her lover. Or the woman who was supposed to marry Charming? He helped break a curse on her lover and she let him go to marry Snow. Didn't her lover (Frederick?) mysteriously appear in Storybooke?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

But there's only been one episode this season?
    Woman falling in love with her keeper is not exclusive to B + B (think Pamela by Richardson) but, yeah, it is rather creepy. A lot of women unfortunately go for the whole " but I can change him" thing.
    I don't recall the first woman but the second woman was Katherine, David's wife in Storybrooke. There definitely have been characters that were there and disappeared after an episode. I'm looking at you, Cinderella (actually, is Cinderella the character you refer to first? Rumpy did make her prince disappear).
    Last edited by CCL; 10-04-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Belle's continuing the "but he's so sweet underneath" and "I can save him" motif in this show, too. Rumpy is being pure evil so she leaves, but she comes back and says that "because he's a monster" is why she needs to be there with him. Some people see that as romantic. I kinda see it as dysfunctional, though it does make for an interesting storyline.
    Babbred likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    But there's only been one episode this season?
    Woman falling in love with her keeper is not exclusive to B + B (think Pamela by Richardson) but, yeah, it is rather creepy. A lot of women unfortunately go for the whole " but I can change him" thing.
    Was that the plot of "Pamela"? I had heard of that book, but didn't know the story.

I don't recall the first woman but the second woman was Katherine, David's wife in Storybrooke. There definitely have been characters that were there and disappeared after an episode. I'm looking at you, Cinderella (actually, is Cinderella the character you refer to first? Rumpy did make her prince disappear).

Thank you! Yes, that's it on both accounts. That's why I love posting here. It's nice to find people with better memories than me.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

Yes, Pamela is about a maid whose master locks her away while continually trying to have his way with her on his regular visits to her place of imprisonment. She keeps spurning him until he eventually decides to marry her and so her 'virtue is rewarded,' hence the full title of the work, 'Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded'. A model for us all.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Loved tonights episode!!

Can't wait for next week!
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

Just rewatched a few parts...I won't say much yet cause I don't want to spoil anything...but I loved the "it's so easy David Nolan could do it" line!
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

The one thing I didn't like in season one is that it seemed every other episode was good and every other episode was bad just like Star Trek and James Bond movies. I thought that is exactly what was going to happen to episode 2 of season 2. Prince Charming was not one of my favorite characters and I found his initial plot line season 1 a bit boring and his character boring and wishy washy. The episode started out that way but built and in fact there is a lot packed in here. A glimpse of Pinocchio and the Mad Hatter. David/Charming trying to hold the town together, taking care of Henry and find Snow and Emma. Regina's back story.

Best scenes: Mr. Gold finding out about the barrier around Storybrooke and later Mr. Gold standing with cane in hand by the barrier and a cool black car. Did anyone see what his license plate said? It looked blurred. David and Henry drinking soda together at the diner. Then when you think you have seen the last scene of the episode we get to see what happen to Snow and Emma and Cora.

Writers you did good.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread