+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post

Personally, I'm leaning toward the White Rabbit or March Hare, because of the luck, good or bad, aspect of that opening scene, and the sign that said "Cleaner & Hatters" in his room. The luck part, which admittedly is a bit of a stretch, would be because a rabbit's foot is supposed to be lucky.

I read in an interview with a writer that there is at least one item in the mystery man's room that is directly tied to who he is.
    Items in his room:
    The "Cleaner & Hatters" sign
    Monocles and pocket watches hanging on the wall
    Radios, clocks and cameras
    Desk phone circa 1970s or 80s
    A turntable and vinyl LPs

When the White Rabbit first crosses Alice's path in our world, he's looking at his pocket watch and crying "Oh dear! I'm going to be late!" The clocks could be an oblique reference to the timeless nature of the story--at the climax of the book, Alice wakes up and realizes it was all a dream. Therefore, Wonderland never existed in time and space.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well, Mary Tudor was Elizabeth's older sister and did have the right to hold the throne before Elizabeth.
    True and Henry liked to mess with everyone by switching around the order of succession!

Okay back on topic I suspect that the mystery man is the white rabbit, in some form or another, given the clues.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    True — and Henry liked to mess with everyone by switching around the order of succession!

Okay — back on topic — I suspect that the mystery man is the white rabbit, in some form or another, given the clues.
    Sounds like it, but why is he a person rather than a rabbit?
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this Florimel. Folks seem to forget that thousands of books have been written about fantasy and fairy tales and many have wraith like figures, Disney and Harry Potter are not the BE All and END ALL of fairy tales. I will be curious to see if in later seasons they writers will incorporate more Eastern European tales, like Baba Yaga, even ones from the Scandinavian countries, and the Far East. Will they incorporate the Jungle Book? I would luv to see Mowgli, Baloo and Bageehra or the Bandar-log or Shere Khan. mmmm.....now that I think of it when will the Lion King appear? Oh my gosh, can't forget Tarzan and Jane.
    Good that you brought that up. Mulan, if I recall in one of my Asian History classes, had no romantic interests. Now if she gets one in OUAT, I'll start my Disney barf! And, I do recall reading in the season's teasers that Mulan as well as other "Disney" characters showing up.

I thought that Lion King was a made up Disney story? And I thought that Tarzan was simply made up by Edgar Rice Burroughs and not a fairy tale?
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    It doesn't turn me off, per se, but it disappoints me. What started out as a creative and original show has turned into....how did somebody put it here? A adult Disney ride? It's become more like a drinking game for hubby and me. "There's another Disney character! Bottom's up!" It feels like they're contriving plots just to cram in their own character-of-the-week.

As for the wraiths, yes, wraith-like creatures have appeared in other stories from the past; however, as we've seen from the posts here, at this moment in time most people will associated them with HP. Since they've appropriated iconic characters from Lewis Caroll and J.M. Barrie, I don't have a problem believing they did the same for Ms. Rowling, especially since they're stuffing the show with their own familiar characters. It seems plausible that they would include a reference to HP as yet another way to appeal to the kiddos.
    But, they're really not Disney characters. These characters had life that stood on its own before Disney put them on the cartoon screen.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    True and Henry liked to mess with everyone by switching around the order of succession!

Okay back on topic I suspect that the mystery man is the white rabbit, in some form or another, given the clues.

Yes, having him be the WR would sound plausible, but as Miss Griss said, how do you go from a rabbit to a human being? The majority of characters in AIW are animals or non-human objects brought to life (i.e. the playing cards who act as guards for the Red Queen), so the writers of OUAT don't have that many to chose from.

Ok, just a teeny bit off topic. Yes, those poor Tudor kids. No wonder they were screwed up. Edward always knew he'd be king, but his parents died when he was young, and so his royal handlers basically turned him into a Puritan. The girls had it even worse, going from legitimate to illegitmiate and back again depending on their father's whim and the country's need. No wonder Elizabeth never married.

Komikaze

Good that you brought that up. Mulan, if I recall in one of my Asian History classes, had no romantic interests. Now if she gets one in OUAT, I'll start my Disney barf! And, I do recall reading in the season's teasers that Mulan as well as other "Disney" characters showing up.

From what I read, in the original Chinese legend, Mulan was sort of like Joan of Arc. She gave up a normal life--marrying and having kids--in order to go off and fight for her country and her family's honor. That's why the Chinese revere Mulan the same way that the French revere St. Joan, and that's why the Chinese were so disgusted to see their national heroine turned into a Disney princess. So yeah, if the writers of OUAT try to give Mulan a love life on their show, it will totally dishonor her story. I have a feeling, though, that that won't happen. Something tells me that since SB and Prince Phillip were the original love story, the writers will have Mulan nobly sacrifice herself at some point so that those two can be together. I don't know which storyline I would dislike more.

I thought that Lion King was a made up Disney story? And I thought that Tarzan was simply made up by Edgar Rice Burroughs and not a fairy tale?

I read somewhere that LK was ripped off from some African author's story. I'll have to go back and research it. And yes, Tarzan was created by Burroughs at the turn of the 20th century.
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss View Post
    Sounds like it, but why is he a person rather than a rabbit?
    I wondered that myself. And then I remembered that they turned a Disney cricket into a person.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Excellent point! So I guess they can turn a rabbit into a person, after all.

CCL

Mulan, if fully real, was from the 4th Century. She could have had a boyfriend or two on the side, or even a husband, but that wasn't germane to her heroism so the myth that built up around her dropped that element. Or maybe she didn't have a romantic partner, who knows. They're not aiming for accuracy on OuaT, just storytelling.
    All the characters on OuaT existed before Disney got a hold of them. Disney changed them to suit their purposes, just like OuaT has/will change them to suit theirs. It's like with the Little Mermaid, how Disney changed the story to give her a happy ending; I preferred the sadder ending but they didn't consult me before changing the ending!
    Florimel likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The White Rabbit... or Mr. Peanut!
    JavaJo likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread