+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1077Likes

Thread: Once Upon A Time ABC

Re: Once Upon A Time ABC

I liked the episode and certainly want to see more about where they take it during the season. I did not mind Mulan, whom I really don't know much about, but I new she was going to be around this season. So is Lancelot, who is hardly a fairy tale character, but is a storybook character and one who has at least a partial real life counterpart.

I honestly did not see the wraiths as Harry Potter dementors because wraiths have been part of the fantasy world long before Harry Potter was written. Lord of the Rings is a good, but far from the only, example of that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Oh now it's coming back! Wasn't the original plan was for pregnant Snow to go through and then have the baby on the other side so she would be there to take care of her? But she gave birth before the tree was ready, and because of the bargain Gepetto made with the Blue Fairy, thought there was only room for one?

Yep, you got i! I loved the scene where Emma had the confrontation with her parents. That was a really intriguing element, and quite frankly, I wished that the show had explored it more. The rest of the episode, unfortunately, veered between boring and silly for me. Where to begin?

Causingchaos

I thought I was the only one who did the eye roll with the Mulan stuff. I never liked the aspect of this show where it was an adult tour of Disney movies. Now I really really am not enjoying that aspect of the show with Mulan showing up. It's not once upon a time... it's once upon a disney movie. Ugh.

I didn't roll my eyes...I died laughing. About halfway through last season, I posted something along the lines of "Ugh! I am getting so tired of this Disney princessification! I swear, before you know it they're going to put Mulan in there, too!" I couldn't believe that I was right.

Well, instead of getting irritated, how about we turn it into a game? Here's the princesses we have so far:

Snow White
    Cinderella
    Sleeping Beauty
    Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
    Mulan

So who's left?

Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
    Pocahontas
    Jasmin (Aladdin)
    Tatiana (The Princess and the Frog)

So, based on this, the writers will have to squeeze in a Native American lady, an African-American lady, an Indian lady, and a girl who doesn't talk. Any suggestions? What should we do if any of them shows up?

On a more serious note, it looks like they're stealing from every other piece of children's lit, too. Thanks, everybody, for the head's up about the monster and Harry Potter. I've only ever read the first book in that series, so I didn't recognize it. Miss Scarlet, you're probably right. By calling it a wraith, they probably managed to avoid paying any royalties to Ms. Rowling. That certainly fits Disney's pattern. Back in 2004, the printing arm of Disney printed a children's book with Peter Pan in it, and then got into a legal wrangle with the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, to whom J.M. Barrie (creator of Peter Pan) had given the copyright to his character. You can debate the merits of the case, but really, honestly would it have hurt Almighty Disney to donate a little money to a children's hospital, when Barrie had made it clear that's where he wanted all the money made off Peter Pan to go? That's another reason why I have no love for Disney. They may be bill themselves as family-friendly, but in reality they're just a greedy corporation.

Ok, rant over. So now to the non-Disney list we can add:

Alice in Wonderland
    Harry Potter (I'm going to include him since you guys say the wraith was basically a knock-off)
    Peter Pan.

Want to speculate on who might appear on this list in the future? And what should we do if they show up?

Generally I didn't hate this episode other than the Mulan stuff. I'm not sure I'm entirely thrilled with what looks to be the storyline this season. Really the redeeming quality for me is Rumpy's storyline as he seems to straddle the good/bad line nicely and is interesting to watch in general both actor and character.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was blah. It had some good parts, like when Emma interacted with Snow and Charming, and when Regina revealed she had magic, after all. That was a good twist. I thought the scene of the wraith trying to get Regina just looked silly, though, and the wraith itself looked like somebody's low budget haunted house attraction. What happened to all the amazing special effects from last season, especially the pilot?

And I still love me some Robert Carlyle. I'm so glad Belle didn't reform him right away. To be quite honest, I like him better as a villain. I loved it whenever he appeared as Rumpy, and his showdowns with Regina were some of my favorite epis last season.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I wish they would have focused more on Belle and Rumpy. I think Robert Carlyle does a most excellent job in this role. He really took it and ran with it and made a really complicated character out of it which I really enjoy.

I found the adoption thing interesting. My adopted sister really struggled with her identity and what all happened with her birth mother. And I've worked with a lot of kids who grew into adults who really really struggled with all that kind of stuff too (and some well adjusted ones too). But I think it's a not a spoken about reality and it's great to see them actually speak about it. Sometimes there isn't a happy ending with hugs for the birth parents. Sometimes there is resentment and unhappiness and conflicting feelings. And I imagine even more so in this case with the "amnesia" aspect that was going on so they developed a whole other relationship and the rug was pulled out from under Emma. That's a lot to work through.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazeeKy07 View Post
    I enjoyed the premiere...I thought the actress playing Mulan didn't have good line delivery.!
    What do you expect from someone whose 3 biggest achievements were surviving Real World San Diego1, Grown Ups, and The Hangover2?

I thought she did a great job. Remined me of Lucy Liu/ Disney cartoon.

Didn't Regina or Rump say something about dealing with a mermaid problem last season?
    Last edited by babymay; 10-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I think somebody posted some time ago that there will be an Ariel. Not sure if it was speculation or not. I think somebody said an actress had been cast.

According to some other stuff I saw when Googling, there will be an Aladdin and Jafar too. Could be a rumor, but brace yourselves if it turns you off.
    Everything has an end. Only the sausage has two. - Monroe, from Grimm

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I think somebody posted some time ago that there will be an Ariel. Not sure if it was speculation or not. I think somebody said an actress had been cast.

According to some other stuff I saw when Googling, there will be an Aladdin and Jafar too. Could be a rumor, but brace yourselves if it turns you off.
    There is an Ariel and there will be an Aladdin. Captain Hook will appear as an old love interest of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Regina's

Who was the guy in the very beginning in the real world who received the post card from the pigeon?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I liked the episode and certainly want to see more about where they take it during the season. I did not mind Mulan, whom I really don't know much about, but I new she was going to be around this season. So is Lancelot, who is hardly a fairy tale character, but is a storybook character and one who has at least a partial real life counterpart.

I honestly did not see the wraiths as Harry Potter dementors because wraiths have been part of the fantasy world long before Harry Potter was written. Lord of the Rings is a good, but far from the only, example of that.
    Thanks for mentioning this Florimel. Folks seem to forget that thousands of books have been written about fantasy and fairy tales and many have wraith like figures, Disney and Harry Potter are not the BE All and END ALL of fairy tales. I will be curious to see if in later seasons they writers will incorporate more Eastern European tales, like Baba Yaga, even ones from the Scandinavian countries, and the Far East. Will they incorporate the Jungle Book? I would luv to see Mowgli, Baloo and Bageehra or the Bandar-log or Shere Khan. mmmm.....now that I think of it when will the Lion King appear? Oh my gosh, can't forget Tarzan and Jane.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.

Oh, I always like to fast forward through some parts and I join the rest of the posters who where not that impressed with Mulan and the Sleeping Beauty story arc. I liked the very beginning and the awakening of the villagers and how they became a mob. Interesting to note that even Regina does not recognize all the folks in their transformed lives in StoreyBrooke aka the doctor. Luv'd the interactions of Rumple and Belle, Snow, Charming and Emma and of course Regina. The end of episode teaser was great showing Emma and Snow in their homeland. It will be interesting to see how the dynamic of mom and daughter will work out now that Snow is awake and aware and very different from Mary Margaret the kindergarten teacher.

CCL

Sure, wraiths have existed in literature for a long time, but these wraiths owed a lot to the Dementors from their appearance to the visual of them sucking out the souls. I expected Regina to down a bar of chocolate to recover from her interaction with the creature.
    Prince Philip - yummy. Of course we had to have a triangle with Mulan and Aurora though...
    It never really bothered me last season (that I recall) but Rumpy/Gold is looking far too old for Belle.
    Speculation is that the man in the first segment is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Bael, Rumpy's son and/or possibly Henry's father.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post

It doesn't turn me off, per se, but it disappoints me. What started out as a creative and original show has turned into....how did somebody put it here? A adult Disney ride? It's become more like a drinking game for hubby and me. "There's another Disney character! Bottom's up!" It feels like they're contriving plots just to cram in their own character-of-the-week.

As for the wraiths, yes, wraith-like creatures have appeared in other stories from the past; however, as we've seen from the posts here, at this moment in time most people will associated them with HP. Since they've appropriated iconic characters from Lewis Caroll and J.M. Barrie, I don't have a problem believing they did the same for Ms. Rowling, especially since they're stuffing the show with their own familiar characters. It seems plausible that they would include a reference to HP as yet another way to appeal to the kiddos.
    Ellen likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread