+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: American Horror Story (FX)

Re: American Horror Story (FX)

Doesn't seem like anything is the same other than the actors so if I were you, go for it. I thought it was going to be really hard to watch season 2 knowing who they were in the first season but because the story is so different it is like watching movies with a favorite actor/actress in it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Hi all.My husband recently got Season 1 and wants to eatch it.Problem is I hate most horror movies.I've never seen the Paranormal Activity;Saws,Elm Street,Freddy etc. series and have no desire to.But I've heard good things about this series.Should I give it a chance? Is it spooky scary like The Others(which I loved),Give me nightmares scary like The Ring (which I liked but had trouble sleeping for days)or stupid and/or gory scary like the above series.Let me know cause I know you Forters are pretty knowledgable.Thanking you in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    Doesn't seem like anything is the same other than the actors so if I were you, go for it. I thought it was going to be really hard to watch season 2 knowing who they were in the first season but because the story is so different it is like watching movies with a favorite actor/actress in it.
    Thanks! I can't wait to start with season two.

princessKIM - in my personal opinion (because everyone is going to view things differently) I find that there is a bit of gore, not a lot and consider is spooky scary.

princessKIM - I think the first season was a little bit of all the things you mentioned. That said, I don't like slasher horror movies either and I loved AHS It's definitely not for everyone, but I would highly recommend giving it a chance. There are plenty of twists, turns, shocks and secrets to be revealed. It's also very well acted, which isn't often the case in the typical horror movie, and it's like nothing else on TV. Of course I think the most mysterious thing about it is how the heck it came from the same mind as "Glee".....
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

DH & I settled in tonight to watch the second episode (recorded).....I got about half way thru it and finally announced I was done with the show.
    The first season was pretty scary/creepy and at times, disturbing.
    This season, to me, is far more disturbing and not scary/creepy...........It has Fabulous acting! I can see how good the story lines are but I also can see it's just not for me.

I love ghosts and Halloween but I don't want to feel like this show makes me feel..........and it stays with me for awhile. Gives me a whole different kind of heebee-jeebees that your average spook show.
    Realitychick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    DH & I settled in tonight to watch the second episode (recorded).....I got about half way thru it and finally announced I was done with the show.
    The first season was pretty scary/creepy and at times, disturbing.
    This season, to me, is far more disturbing and not scary/creepy...........It has Fabulous acting! I can see how good the story lines are but I also can see it's just not for me.

I love ghosts and Halloween but I don't want to feel like this show makes me feel..........and it stays with me for awhile. Gives me a whole different kind of heebee-jeebees that your average spook show.
    I feel the same way. Both shows I didn't want to watch before bed. I made my husband watch right after we got off work. I don't feel as invested in the second season... It really does come off more twisted this season. I am not a fan of using the God/Satan aspect because I feel it's cheap and been overdone too many times... The acting is fantastic but not sure how much longer I will be watching.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Yeah, I'm still watching and will probably stick with it, but so far I like the first season better. AHS:Asylum is still incredibly well done, and well acted....but it was said best upthread....This season is plain disturbing. There is a creeping, underlying horror that I feel most in what is truthful about this season. Last season was pure make-believe ghost story. The kind of creepy chills that you enjoy because you know it's not real, and couldn't happen. What makes this season so twisted to me, is that there is a certain realism to the asylum story and the way mental illness was treated back then. Creatures in the forest, possession and aliens - well that's a stretch But being institutionalized because you were homosexual or promiscuous? Electroshock therapy, lobotomies and horrendous conditions in big, creepy, isolated asylums populated by nuns? That's part of the history of mental illness and how it was treated in this country. I think it's so disturbing because it's easier to imagine some of the things actually happening....like ending up stuck there against your will, sadistic nuns, experimental treatments and common rooms full of all levels of the mentally ill.
    buttahfly likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Yeah, I'm still watching and will probably stick with it, but so far I like the first season better. AHS:Asylum is still incredibly well done, and well acted....but it was said best upthread....This season is plain disturbing. There is a creeping, underlying horror that I feel most in what is truthful about this season. Last season was pure make-believe ghost story. The kind of creepy chills that you enjoy because you know it's not real, and couldn't happen. What makes this season so twisted to me, is that there is a certain realism to the asylum story and the way mental illness was treated back then. Creatures in the forest, possession and aliens - well that's a stretch But being institutionalized because you were homosexual or promiscuous? Electroshock therapy, lobotomies and horrendous conditions in big, creepy, isolated asylums populated by nuns? That's part of the history of mental illness and how it was treated in this country. I think it's so disturbing because it's easier to imagine some of the things actually happening....like ending up stuck there against your will, sadistic nuns, experimental treatments and common rooms full of all levels of the mentally ill.
    Thank you, Katydyd....you explained my feelings sooo well....I just couldn't put it into words like you did.
    I can handle creepy monsters in the woods. I can handle aliens abducting people. I can probably handle a crazy slasher guy or a chainsaw man...
    But you're right... a lot of it has to do with the horrible inhumane treatment and torture of the mental patients. I think a lot of this happened/happens and I that disturbs me a lot.
    I hate the God persona of the doctor and the head nun....they run/rule their little world using evil w/no care for anyone else........Give me monsters in the woods, ghosts down the dark hallway, or little green men anytime rather than this wicked evil.
    So I'm bowing out....for my own good. I know me and I know what "me" can handle. I'll stick w/666 Park Avenue to get my creepy show pleasure.

you can def follow season 2 without seeing season 1. no connection whatsoever (or at least so far)

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    Question for those of you who have seen both seasons: I am still working my way through season one and my understanding is the two seasons are actually independent of each other. Can I start watching season two not having finished the first one? Are they any little things that have trickled over that would only make sense to someone who has seen the first season?

Who is John Galt?

I love ghost stories, sci-fi, supernatural, and horror (if the horror show/movie has a good story and acting). The first American Horror season was great, because there was a continuing story and it dealt with the supernatural and ghosts. This season turned me off after seeing just the first show. Although the acting is great, there is very little story and it has moved from ghosts to the slasher realm with a continuous stream of gore and little else. I'm done!

+ Reply to Thread