+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Homeland (Showtime)

Homeland (Showtime)

Who's the hero who's the threat? When MIA Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody returns home to a hero's welcome after eight years in enemy confinement, brilliant but volatile CIA agent Carrie Mathison isn't buying his story. She believes that Brody has been turned and is now working for Al Qaeda. What follows is a dangerous game of cat and mouse with nothing short of American national security at stake. Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patinkin star in the provocative, suspenseful new Showtime Original Series HOMELAND, from Executive Producers of 24.
    Homeland original series only on Showtime: Watch videos, Download Mobile Apps, Games, More

Homeland premiered last night (10/2). Did anyone else watch? I don't have Showtime, but they currently have the premiere free on their website. If they don't offer any subsequent episodes on their site, I guess I'll have to find another way to watch!

I'm a huge Mandy Patinkin fan and I really like Claire Danes, Morena Baccarin and Damian Lewis, although it's strange to see him speaking in an American accent. For me, he'll always be Soames in the Forsyte Saga. Of all the new series I've watched this season, I think this was the best premiere so far. The acting was terrific, the premise is really intriguing and the writing was excellent.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Homeland (Showtime)

Yes, I watched it. I love it!

They actually had it available for early viewing on Showtime before Sunday night. I will look forward to the second episode!

It looks so promising!

I hope you keep watching. You might can get a good deal with your cable company. I used to just get Showtime to watch Dexter. I would drop it after the season finale.

Homeland comes on right after Dexter. Great tv night!

Question about the lady CIA agent's meds. In the beginning it showed her shake two pills into her hand. She put one back. It later showed her only taking one pill. In light of the meds she later admitted to taking for bipolar, what do you think she stopped taking? Her mental state is definitely going to come into play.

My budget is so tight that you could bounce a quarter off of it. If I can't watch the show for free, I'll be waiting until it's on DVD. Showtime is $19.99/mo and since I could buy both this show and Dexter on DVD for the cost of 3 months worth of Showtime subscription, that's not such a great deal. My other option is to subscribe for the last month of the show and then catch up OnDemand.

I did think the show was terrific. I liked that the characters were not one-dimensional archetypes. Complicated people are so much more interesting to watch!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm watching the second episode now and its fantastic. Its so intense!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I'm still wondering if he is in fact a terrorist or just a really messed up soldier who was in captivity for years. The agent's sister mentioned she had the same disease their father had. I wonder what that is and how bad it is going to get. So many questions but it is really good!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    I'm still wondering if he is in fact a terrorist or just a really messed up soldier who was in captivity for years. The agent's sister mentioned she had the same disease their father had. I wonder what that is and how bad it is going to get. So many questions but it is really good!
    It looks like Carrie is bi-polar and is taking the medication that her sister gives her. Apparently her sister is a doctor and is taking care of Carrie's dad. Carrie is convinced that if her dept finds out about her condition they will fire her. I'm not sure if that is true, however, it made me angry that she thinks she can avoid receiving REAL medical treatment for her condition and just wing it with her sister's sample meds. She doesn't seem to care that other's lives depend on her. She is a very selfish person.

From the beginning I thought they had miscast Clair Danes in that role, but it seemed so good that I ignored it. After last night, I just can't ignore it anymore. They needed a different young woman for that character. Claire seems to high shoolish and juvenile. I really was so disgusted with her last night. She doesn't seem to have a real handle on doing her job.

She whined and complained so much last night, that it sounded like a spoiled child who was being put in time out. I like the scenes she is NOT in. I hope they do something with her. I wish it was her who was shot last night and not the informant. I'm already hoping she gets fired. I'm done with her. LOL

Brodie is a hard one to figure out. He could be a double agent. I find his storyline fascinating. I just wish Carrie could start acting like an adult instead of an out of control, teen. Brodie's daughter is more mature than Carrie.

Is not surprise that the informant's name got out. Carrie was all too happy to shout her name anywhere she went, even in the hallways. Even if you are amongst other CIA agents, shouldn't the identify of informants be kept on a need to know basis. They threw that infomant's name all over the place.

I think Claire Danes is doing a terrific job in this role - the character is supposed to be erratic and unhinged and mentally not all there. She's handling it beautifully. The scenes with her and Mandy Patinkin are all so good.

I think Brody was probably turned. He's clearly lying about so many things that happened to him in Iraq, including the fact that he did encounter Abu Nazir AND that he beat his friend to death at their urging.....not to mention the fact that, at the very least, he's experimenting with Islam.

That "sex" scene with Brody and Jessica was SO raw and uncomfortable to watch and obviously Carrie felt the same way. It's scenes like that one that make this the BEST new show of the season.

Critical,
    We'll have to disagree on this one. I don't care for Clair at all in this role. I loved her years ago on My So Called Life. I've seen her in other things too in which she was very good, but I'm not feeling her in this. Just as well, though, because she is probably going to get fired, is my guess. Of course, she will eventually be the hero.

Brodie is certainly lying, but it could be for a good reason. If he is a double agent, he has to be very careful. Getting to what really happened to him will be so interesting. I think he beat his friend to death because he was forced. For example, you kill him or we kill you. I wonder if he was let out of the cave for years and that he has another family in Afghanistan. You never know. Maybe that's why he is so accepting of his friend having an affair with his wife. I'm sure he knows.

I like the rest of the cast.

Did you see where the money from the sale of the necklace went? Did you hear what the couple said about living near the airport? I wonder which one it was.

I do dread them taking the camera equipment out of Brodie's house. I like that spying part. LOL

Glad to see this thread. I have only seen the first episode and the first half of the second. I love it already. I agree with a pp about Claire Danes. I'm not really liking her in this role all that much. I'm hoping it gets better down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    Glad to see this thread. I have only seen the first episode and the first half of the second. I love it already. I agree with a pp about Claire Danes. I'm not really liking her in this role all that much. I'm hoping it gets better down the road.
    I think the show is fascinating. Great premise and storlyline. Great casts too, except for Danes. I'm not sure if it's her or the way she is playing the role. I also have a little issue with the way they have written her to be such a whiner. I don't care for whiners who act like children, when they are adult CIA agents. I hope they fix that after something terrible happens to her. She will go down so to speak, then she will save the day, get reinstated and be a hero....behind the scenes anyway.

If this series is going to continue, I guess the secret that she will keep is about her mental illness and meds. I guess that will be the thing that she is always running from and trying to hide. You know, like Dexter hides he's a killer, Nurse Jackie hides she's a drug addict, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast