+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Homeland (Showtime)

Re: Homeland (Showtime)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I couldn't fit this show into my Sunday schedule when it aired, so I saved it for the holidays (love me some On Demand). I started last night and just finished because I watched all day (no one wants to go out in 70 degree weather on New Years Day...it's "wrong" ). Ye gads, is this an awesome show! I redeems Howard Gordon for the back three seasons of 24 at least. It all (mostly) hung together, had great twists, awesome action, and unlike 24, actually acknowledged the government agent had a mental disorder. (Bauer is crazy but no one will admit it; at least Carrie had a legit bi-polar disorder.) I never had a positive opinion of Claire Danes, having only seen her in The Hours which I hated seven ways from Sunday, but she really did the role justice. Damian Lewis was never on my radar before, but now he is. Everyone else...just spectacular, aside from Jamey Sheridan's hairstylist. (I'd gotten used to his salt & pepper--more salt than pepper--hair on L&O:CI, so the blondish locks made him look odd to me.)

How I was suffering through Dexter's mess and not watching this makes me question my premium loyalties.
    I don't have Showtime, but wasn't this on right after Dexter?

I'm so glad you found the show, PG! I really think it's one of the best, of not THE best show on TV. It's definitely the best drama this season.

I remember Jamey Sheridan as a blond (and didn't watch him on L&O), so the salt and pepper seems weird to me!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I don't have Showtime, but wasn't this on right after Dexter?
    Yep, it was. But Boardwalk Empire was on against Dexter and there was the Walking Dead. So Sundays would be Dexter, BE, WD. Then to bed, really late. If it shakes out the same way next season, it'll be Boardwalk, Homeland, Dexter saved for on-demand, and maybe Walking Dead at some point.

My parents started watching Homeland last week on-demand but I passed them in my singular, OCD-like way of marathoning the season in a 1.5 days, so I'm now getting messages from my mother trying to tease out spoilers.

I didn't mention it before, but at first I really thought they were trying to go down the road with the daughter on "an Erika Christensen in Traffic" road, but the character got a lot more depth and the young actress who played the daughter showed a lot of depth and range. I hope she has a great career ahead of her.

Really interesting interview with one of the show's producers:
    Alex Gansa walks us through Homeland

This is part 1 of 4, so there's more to come. Really interesting insights into the creation of the series and how they made the decisions they made.

Also, for Claire Danes and the show for winning Golden Globes! I was actually hoping both Claire and Damian would win and that Game of Thrones would take Best Drama, but I'm happy this show is getting some well-deserved recognition.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Don't forget the new season starts this Sunday AND so does DEXTER! I'm not sure why I'm so excited abut Dexter. Last season was NOT good. I hope it's better this year.

I DVRed this show when it originally aired and then waited SEVERAL months before I got around to watching any of it. The description just had me questioning how they were going to sustain the premise through an entire season. I am SO GLAD I didn't delete it before watching because it is an OUTSTANDING show!!!

I still question now how they are going to sustain the premise through a second season, but now I'm looking forward to finding out the answer right away!

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I have never watched Homeland because I did not have Showtime. I've subscribed JUST so I can check out this show. They're replaying all episodes of season 1 tomorrow and my dvr is set to catch them

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Nice first show of season 2. If I didn't know the show runners/writers were from 24, I'd not buy "bring the crazy agent back", but they're kind of dealing with Carrie's problems better than Jack Bauer's. Plus there are no "real time constraints". I'm re-hooked, but I don't know about this Sunday schedule. 4 hours in 2 hours of tv is tough. I need a Red Bull or something.

I liked the first episode.

Why does Brodie's wife call him by his last name and not his first? Just curious.

Brodie's daughter is really keeping tabs on him. Up and following your dad outside at 2:00 a.m. I think she may know her dad has turned.

Last season we wondered who the mole was in the CIA. Did they reveal it last night? The guy who showed up at Carrie's classroom and then was the one who interrupted the head CIA guy so Brodie could get into his safe is now questionable, IMO. Did he know that he was leaving Brodie to get into the safe? Or was it just that lady reporter who is working against the US and that guy wasn't in on it?

The way things went down when Carrie was walking up to Saul as he sat at the outdoor cafe, made me question if Saul is really a mole. I considered it last season, then dismissed it, but am now wondering again. Saul seemed intent on Carrie not hooking up with that woman informant.

Not to nit pick, but please tell me why they have Carrie acting so unprofessional as a former CIA agent. She did it when she was on active duty and still does it. Did you see the bizarre, fake, guilty way she approached the guy at the airport with her passport? I've seen better lying by an 11 year-old who ate the last cookie. And then when she is approaching Saul and he tells her he's been watched, she walks by and turns around looking like OMG, where are they. Could she be any more obvious and draw any more attention to herself? LOL I don't get it. Either the actor is doing a terrible job in these scenes OR the directors want her to do it that way for some unfathomable reason.

The previews look great.
    Last edited by Debb70; 10-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Why does Brodie's wife call him by his last name and not his first? Just curious.
    It's not uncommon in the military for people to be called by their last names. Maybe everyone already called him Brody, so she picked it up too

Carrie's clearly off her game. When Saul told her to keep walking past him at the restaurant and then described the man following her, she craned her neck around to look for him. Even I would have known she was acting suspiciously. No wonder the guy made her.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I have never watched Homeland because I did not have Showtime. I've subscribed JUST so I can check out this show. They're replaying all episodes of season 1 tomorrow and my dvr is set to catch them
    No doubt you will love this show. I never watched the show.. until I was bored... scanning all the channels... and after just one show I was completely addicted! Watched the rest on... on demand. Now, my DVR is set to tape the series!

Sooooooooo SOOOOOO GOOD!

I hope you enjoy the episodes!!!

+ Reply to Thread