+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Terra Nova

Re: Terra Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    It isn't particularly for me, because they're applying 22nd century technology and know-how. Too convenient that Elizabeth Shannon and Malcolm Wallace will have all the answers and immediately. I think the main reason we'll watch it is it's the lead in to House.I think she will be the tie-in or exposure of the real story of Taylor's son and the mysterious graffiti at the waterfall. I thought she might be his ward.
    I think the graffiti at the waterfall were written by Taylor's son who is with the sixers I believe but the Shannon's math genisus daughter will figure them out...have some theories as to what they might mean but just not sure yet...sorry I am so over the top on this show I know many of you don't really like it but I love trying to figuire things out which was why I loved LOST so much and finally there is something on again that leaves you on the edge of your seat and leaves you with tons of questions to figure out
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar

So, I missed parts of the premiere (actually got a little bored and wandered off). Did they address the building of Terra Nova? I see a lot of what appears to be concrete and steel, but no cement kiln or forge. Not to mention there don't seem to be enough people to support a mining and manufacturing capability. My assumption is they brought materials and construction crews from the future. Is the future going to ship replacement parts and materials from time to time? Rubber on tires wears out, moving parts need lubricants. Ammunition needs to be replenished, etc. I probably ask too many questions to enjoy a show like this.

Best moments of episode 2 is watching Jason O'Mara without a shirt.

That being said:

Why is Jim Shannon/Jason O'Mara character only carrying a handgun when he goes out to investigate the mission securty team and everyone else is carrying a huge rifle. Doesn't make sense.

Why do all the other security team members have on armour and Taylor and Shannon do not? Stupid not to use all the protection you can get.

During the breakin by the angry birds at the Shannon house why does the obnoxious son end up carrying the security guards file and not Skye? Skye needs obnoxious boy's protection? I think not. It would have been way more believeable if Skye took charge.

Why in the heck do they even have night patrols if it is so freaking dangerous? That's when the colonists should be using their tech and not losing bodies. Or will it become a stupid lazy writer plot device. Security Patrol missing let's go find out what happened to them. It will become worse than being a "Redshirt".

Redshirt (character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Redshirt" is a term for a stock character in fiction who dies soon after being introduced. The term originated with fans of Star Trek (1966–1969), from the red shirts worn by Starfleet security officers who frequently die during episodes
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I guess we all have questions. A few of mine are:
    1.) Seeing that people are "recruited" for Terra Nova, apparently there is communication with the Future from the Past even though they are in a "different time stream". Does that mean people can travel back & forth? If so, this creates a whole new pile of problems.
    2.) This was the mid 2200's. Looking back to the mid-late 1800's (approximately the same distance from now) the clothing/hair/furnishings styles, technologies, terminology, habits, building styles, etc. are DRASTICALLY different. There just wasn't much difference in the Future they portrayed. What's up with that? Even in the last 50 years there has been more change than they had.
    3.) Why are these kids not restricted, considering the surveilance they have? This has obviously been going on for a while, with the still and all.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

The whole premise is convoluted. The different time stream revelation is a huge turn-off for me. So basically they aren't saving the future by doing better in the past because whatever they do doesn't affect the future they came from. They might make a better different world but not a better same world. I know this show has a following already but I'm out. Too contrived.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    The different time stream revelation is a huge turn-off for me. So basically they aren't saving the future by doing better in the past because whatever they do doesn't affect the future they came from. They might make a better different world but not a better same world.
    I think that may be the working assumption of the masses at the time but I wonder if whatever is going on with Taylor's son it isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I guess we all have questions. A few of mine are:
    1.) Seeing that people are "recruited" for Terra Nova, apparently there is communication with the Future from the Past even though they are in a "different time stream". Does that mean people can travel back & forth? If so, this creates a whole new pile of problems.
    2.) This was the mid 2200's. Looking back to the mid-late 1800's (approximately the same distance from now) the clothing/hair/furnishings styles, technologies, terminology, habits, building styles, etc. are DRASTICALLY different. There just wasn't much difference in the Future they portrayed. What's up with that? Even in the last 50 years there has been more change than they had.
    3.) Why are these kids not restricted, considering the surveilance they have? This has obviously been going on for a while, with the still and all.
    Regarding point 1. I also have questions about that. Based on last the information we go on how people are recruited they can obviously communicate between the worlds somehow. It sounds like though that people can go back in time to the alt-world but cannot be returned?

The obnoxious boy may be a more accurate protrayal, but I cannot stand him and Skye.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Why in the heck do they even have night patrols if it is so freaking dangerous? That's when the colonists should be using their tech and not losing bodies. Or will it become a stupid lazy writer plot device. Security Patrol missing let's go find out what happened to them. It will become worse than being a "Redshirt".

Redshirt (character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    We were thinking the same thing about the patrols. I didn't realize the term "redshirt" existed - we always just call them "Yeomen" based on all the Yeomen characters who would appear in Star Trek episodes, only to die later that episode. Going with that, every kiss in shows like these has the potential to be "the kiss of death".... They got me last week in the Vampire Diaries (but I digress)
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

After two episodes, I have to say that I'm not loving it. It still feels to much like a cheesy SyFy Channel show. Are we going to see them deal with the monster of the week in every episode? That's going to get really old really fast. It might just be too high concept.

I'll be surprised if this show gets a full season. The ratings have not been great and it's probably a pretty costly show to produce with all the special effects.

Hulu's The Morning After totally made fun of this show yesterday. It's great that they built a big wall at Terra Nova...to keep out the flying dinosaurs!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Interesting episode tonight...not quiet as good as the others IMO but it did bring up some interesting questions as to we have no clue as to what kind of bacteria or virsus existed in that time and how would we cure them
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread