+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Terra Nova

Re: Terra Nova

This show felt very "Lost-ish" to me...except the mysteries in this separate 'world' may be more rooted in science/math than they ended up being on the Island.

Overall, I really liked it--it seemed almost epic and there hasn't been much on tv lately that was just so 'big' in scope/story/entourage. I'm looking forward to several storylines, a large cast to follow and a huge stage that isn't a typical metro from our century.

Some cons:
    -With as much security, surveillance, Taylor's paranoia and oversight etc... are we really supposed to believe that these kids just snuck out and "borrowed" a military grade vehicle without anyone noticing whenever they felt like going for a picnic...I know they needed a plot device to show us the waterfalls and bring dad and son closer but we aren't stupid.
    -The whole "if you control the past you control the future" just doesn't make sense..it drives me crazy when writers throw in these quotes to pack a punch when they have no merit. "Live together or die alone" was great because it was applicable, short and sweet and pronounced at a climactic point. Arguably, that statement could have changed the direction of the losties...but not all great quotes are alike and im tired of hearing grand pronouncements that are uttered for the sake of a soundbite. In this particular instance (Terra Nova) the characters have already said that they are in a different time stream and isn't it a bit worthless to essentially say that people in power mold the future...that's as simple as calling the future an extension of hegemonic influence and "duh" statements aren't going to resonate with an informed audience.
    -Commander Taylor and assassination: again, a strange plot device to call into question this man's character/motivation/whatever. Problem is, the "sixes" are well-armed with guns and other tools from the future--I cant imagine if he was the number one target someone couldn't sniper him or get close enough to do some serious damage. They made it seem like he was a priority (Carter the prisoner had tunnel vision) yet they cant touch him through the wooden fence...?

Even though writers, producers and directors often irk me I find myself more offended on shows like this where they are clearly trying to be serious..when things are ridiculous on Gossip Girl or Family Guy I laugh, but if you are trying to make a drama believable then please find other ways to move the plot along then falling back on "kids are dumb" and "insert deep, meaningful quote here." Overall, however, I still liked the premiere and will keep watching unless it goes off the deep end....

I will be tuning in next week but I couldn't help but be surprised that a tv show about dinosaurs could be so slow paced and kind of boring. There were many scenesthat seemed to drag on for way too long and really served no purpose. I also know that a suspension of disbelief is required for a show like this but so much of the human interaction and actual "real" elements of the show came off as very cheesy and forced. I'm hoping they were just on shaky ground for the pilot and still getting their footing cause this show definitely has potential BUT the premiere left me very underwhelmed.

its repeating again tonight if anyone wants to see it again or if you missed it the first time around
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Mindy384, you summed up my feelings also. I really dislike treating viewers as dumb as rocks. I also commented to DH about the kids and their vehicle outside the fence. Of course, they'd have cameras looking outside the fence for security reasons! sheesh!
    But it's interesting and I'm willing to give it time to improve. Shows often do as the actors start to know their characters better, writing improves, etc.
    I also laugh tho when I see the writers trying to be so PC as to have the leader of The Sixes" to be one tough cool woman. And then we get Skye, who seems to be the toughest of all the teens, boys included. It's a good thing she's around since she seems to have saved all the teens single-handedly.
    I'm not saying women can't lead, or be in combat situations and perform wonderfully but according to Hollywood, they must also be as good looking as possible.
    But I'll still give it more time before I judge completely.

I liked it so far. I'm taping tonight. It's like Lost meets Jurassic Park(after the dinosaurs went berserk).
    I found the beginning very depressing to the point that I almost turned it off. I don't like shows or movies with a downer/depressing vision of the future. I like hope & positive views of what is to come.
    I couldn't stand the son or his obnoxious new girlfriend. I wanted them to get eaten by the dinosaurs. Snotty, obnoxious teens are bad enough IRL, without watching them get away with being like that on TV.
    I'll definitely stick around for a while. It's different & kept my interest, and Jason O'Mara is a definite plus.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I liked it so far. I'm taping tonight. It's like Lost meets Jurassic Park(after the dinosaurs went berserk).
    I couldn't stand the son or his obnoxious new girlfriend. I wanted them to get eaten by the dinosaurs. Snotty, obnoxious teens are bad enough IRL, without watching them get away with being like that on TV.
    I'm liking it for the same reasons of being reminded of Lost and Jurassic. I really like the dinosaurs, even tho they're a little CGI but fairly good. Better than when I was a little girl and watched other movies like Journey to the Center of Earth and even Jurassic was a little CGI but good.
    The teenager son is obnoxious, so finally TV is portraying life as it really is.
    In the dictionary, isn't "obnoxious" the definition of Teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm liking it for the same reasons of being reminded of Lost and Jurassic. I really like the dinosaurs, even tho they're a little CGI but fairly good. Better than when I was a little girl and watched other movies like Journey to the Center of Earth and even Jurassic was a little CGI but good.
    The teenager son is obnoxious, so finally TV is portraying life as it really is.
    In the dictionary, isn't "obnoxious" the definition of Teenager?
    along with bad attitude and know it all
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I don't know...obnoxious, snotty, lippy....all traits of a normal teenage boy. And girl for that matter. The good news is, they grow out of it! I don't mind the son too much. I guess I understand where he's coming from. His parents broke the law and his dad was sent to prison. I'm sure, as a family without the father figure, life in that world wasn't the easiest.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I admit, I wavered between liking it and disliking it last night. The show actually seems less about the dinos than I originally thought, which is a dislike, b/c I thought it'd be a show DD would love and I know she could care less if the show's not about them (which might be okay b/c they do look hokie). But, realizing and accepting that the dinos are just "recurring actors" so to speak, I like the show better b/c I really do like the premise of living back then and what it would've been like. How's that for an oxymoron right there. LOL!

I don't mind about the teenagers so much. The whole situation is a lot to handle; I'll cut them some slack. I'm actually waiting for Skye to turn out to be the leader's granddaughter. The conversation they had at the end of Episode 1 kind of leaned me towards it, esp. when he was so lenient towards the kids stealing the humvee. Wouldn't it be interesting if she's also the Sixer informant...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I like the show better b/c I really do like the premise of living back then and what it would've been like
    It isn't particularly for me, because they're applying 22nd century technology and know-how. Too convenient that Elizabeth Shannon and Malcolm Wallace will have all the answers and immediately. I think the main reason we'll watch it is it's the lead in to House.
    I'm actually waiting for Skye to turn out to be the leader's granddaughter. The conversation they had at the end of Episode 1 kind of leaned me towards it, esp. when he was so lenient towards the kids stealing the humvee. Wouldn't it be interesting if she's also the Sixer informant...
    I think she will be the tie-in or exposure of the real story of Taylor's son and the mysterious graffiti at the waterfall. I thought she might be his ward.

+ Reply to Thread