+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Terra Nova

Re: Terra Nova

I hope another network will pick it up, but I don't have much faith in that. I thought it was a really good show & was interesting to young & old alike.
    Unfortunately it was extremely expensive to produce. It would have to be a smash hit to justify that.
    Networks see their schedules in dollar signs.
    ButterflyFaery likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, they are businesss...hence all the reality shows. One of these days they'll decide Survivor is too expensive...all that far away stuff. Sad, I liked this quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I hope another network will pick it up, but I don't have much faith in that. I thought it was a really good show & was interesting to young & old alike.
    Unfortunately it was extremely expensive to produce. It would have to be a smash hit to justify that.
    Networks see their schedules in dollar signs.
    I also read that they are pitching it to other networks in hopes of it staying on the air...there might be a chance but I know its a slim one this show is very expensive to make and thats gonna be a big turn off to most networks
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I'm not surprised it was canceled. I think that was coming as soon as they announced that the season would be so short due to the expense of producing the show. I doubt any other network will pick it up. It's just too expensive and just didn't seem to have the fan base OR the quality to justify it. I don't know how much each episode cost, but the premiere cost between $10M and $20M. That's one helluva lot of money for a show that is just okay.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just read that Netflix is going to pick it up to air new episodes for their online viewing app.

I wonder how it is that networks managed to profit for decades giving us good scripted tv and variety shows, documentaries, news shows, and without mindless reality shows.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I don't think it's a done deal, yet. Terra Nova Saved By Netflix?

I think that there was a lot of promise early on, but I agree with Critical that the budget per episode was just too high. I truly don't think Netflix could sustain that and I'm not sure I'd want to see a show based on what they could sustain.

Kind of like when those online people were going to save OLTL & AMC. It was a great idea in theory, but the cost was too high to sustain it.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Just read that Netflix is going to pick it up to air new episodes for their online viewing app.

I wonder how it is that networks managed to profit for decades giving us good scripted tv and variety shows, documentaries, news shows, and without mindless reality shows.
    That deal is now out the window.

Netflix Abandons Talks to Revive 'Terra Nova' - Hollywood Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    well crapola...it figures...its almost like shows don't stand a chance unless they pull in 10+ million viewers or if they are a reality show..sooner or later thats all we are gonna have on tv is reality...nobody appreciates scy fy anymore
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Fifty years ago, Newton B. Minnow gave the speech in which he called television "a vast wasteland." It was not true then, but except for the handful of well-written, produced, directed, and acted shows, it is true now. I watch six reality shows; Dancing With the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, Amazing Race, Top Chef, and Next Network Food Star, and Deadliest Catch. I watch the food shows to see good cooking and get recipes and tips. I watch the dance shows because I love dance, i watch Amazing Race and Deadliest Catch because it they take me to places I'll never visit and are a little more real than the other shows of their types. I'll most likely drop a couple of the ones on my list as they become more fake. I just live in hope that as with all genres, they will have their time and then fade from the air waves.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread