+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

Pan Am (ABC)

I know there has been some negativity and some positive things said about this show....25 minutes in though...I like it..it seems so glamourous...of course until I was 12 I lived right across the street from the airport in Columbus GA and I was over there a lot since my dad was the capt of the fire station there and I remember seeing those girls in the blue suits and thinking in wonderment how exicting their lives were..this was when flights flew into here an not just communter flights...I know this is like the time frame of Mad Men..I don't watch that one..actually found it boring but at least here in Pan Am not everything is in a cloud of cigarette smoke even though at that time smoking was allowed on airplanes..(as a former smoker not critizing anyone for the lure of that habit) but it does appear to have a lot of potential to me and I think I will be watching this one hope it catches on
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Re: Pan AM

I wanted to like this show, but it just didn't click for me, i wasn't paying attention at all, I should've watch Dirty Soap.

There are aspects I liked about this show and others that I didn't.

Largest don't - it's honestly a bit of a revision of "Flying High," which was a 1970s show that featured three stewardesses and glamorous travel and misadventures. They even have a pair of characters in a similar vein of Connie Sellecca's role - wanting to get out of the humdrum - forced lifestyle (the blonde getting married) and defying dress code (Christina Ricci's character, though in the original case it was a sexed-up outfit more daring than these.)

Some minor issues too with clothing and hair. I noticed how Ricci's character's hair suddenly got about 4 inches shorter into the bob. Her hair was longer - so does that mean the helicopter had a salon? (I don't know about the undergarments either, but her bra seemed a bit out of period too - I thought they were a little bit bulkier, particularly a wider chest band even for a size A or B.)

What I do like though is it's got the balance of glamour versus real world. You have the wide-eyed kids looking at it being glamourous then you have the personal lives issues of the stewardesses. And, even there it's accurate, such as the young French woman being accused by the wife of being the reason for the husband's infidelity, even though there was a different story there - she was livid HE lied and showed she didn't want anything to do with him.

I think it has a chance; especially with the undercover stewardess and such; but I don't know if it'll last more than two seasons if they don't jazz it up just a little bit.

I'm watching it right now and it's okay. I have to say that the first segment, before the commercial break, felt just like a really cheesy ad for Pan Am. I can tell this will be a show I'll catch if there's nothing else to watch.

Also, I find Christina Ricci's abnormally large and round head kind of distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess View Post
    I wanted to like this show, but it just didn't click for me, i wasn't paying attention at all, I should've watch Dirty Soap.
    Luckily, they repeat cable shows like crazy. I'm watching Dirty Soap at midnight
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Pan Am was a big part of my life in 1959-60 as I lived oversears in a South Asian country that was starting its own airline with Pan Am's help---there were lots of Pan Am people there at all levels...mechanics, pilots, etc. It was also the only American airline that flew there at the time, so we all flew in and out on it. I still have a couple of old Pan Am flight bags around.... I couldn't believe it when it folded, it was such an icon.

It just didnt click with me.I was bored.

I loved this show! I was in my late teens in the 60's and did some flying on Pan Am from school to home and back. It brought back some memories of what flying used to be like. One of my suitemates went from nursing school to being a stewardess (I thought how glamorous) and she loved the job (long, long time ago the first stewardesses had to be nurses). I loved the time period clothes and hair styles too. I will most likely continue to watch this show.
    nanarama likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm watching it right now and it's okay. I have to say that the first segment, before the commercial break, felt just like a really cheesy ad for Pan Am. I can tell this will be a show I'll catch if there's nothing else to watch.

Also, I find Christina Ricci's abnormally large and round head kind of distracting.

Luckily, they repeat cable shows like crazy. I'm watching Dirty Soap at midnight
    Thing is - as far as I know Pan Am no longer exists - or at least in the form we see on the show. Only other thing is that the network is paying bukoos of money to be allowed to the use the name.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I liked it. I agree with ButterflyFaery that I like how glamourous the show is. People on most shows seem to be getting more casual and scruffier-loooking so it's nice to have a show where people are dressed up. It brings back fond memories of when flying was an exciting adventure. Flying is scary and a pain to me now, with new regulations, body scans/searches, and the threat of terrorist activities.

Pan Am made me think of a past favorite show of mine Homefront since it portrayed life in an earlier age.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, one got dressed up to fly....and there was ROOM on the plane!

Pan Am stewardesses must have been among the last women in the US to wear girdles though. Even in the mid 50's teens only used them if they had weight issues (I remember my mom though, talking as if it were a sign of "looseness" not to wear one at one point, which I thought was ridiculous....there was even a well know story/movie about an assault on a woman that turned on that...whether or not she'd worn a girdle...if not she was "asking for it". ).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 40 1234567891011 ... LastLast