+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

Re: Pan AM

I haven't watched this show since week 1.
    I did read, however, that their numbers are very, very low at this point, so they're hoping it picks up.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I watched the first couple of episodes and had difficulty enjoying it.

FORT Fogey

I've watched all of the episodes. Some storylines are good and some aren't. The writing and editing seems amateurish, but they hired someone new to be in charge.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I love this show! I was born in the early 70's, so the era depicted here is a little before my time. However, I worked for United for a few years when I was younger, and now I'm feeling nostalgic. Yes, flying was a hassle even when I worked in the industry. But oh my, we didn't mind. We loved it. We knew that with our travel benefits we had the world at our feet. I used to hear co-workers talk about going Christmas shopping in Hong Kong, shoe-shopping in Venice, hopping down to Cozumel for a girls' weekend, etc. When I was fresh out of college, I backpacked through England staying in grubby hostels. When I worked for United, I got to fly to London in first class and stay in a luxury hotel. So even though we're 30 years apart, I still loving watching the girls on Pan Am because it brings back such fond memories.

Ok, on to business. I didn't even notice the hair issues because I was enjoying watching the show. I've saved all the episodes on my DVR so now I'm going to go back and watch them again so I can catch them!

Although I like Collete's personality, I'm not a big fan of her character. I'm sorry, call me a prude, but I just can't get past her having a fling with a stranger. As to the wife, if you've been married for any length of time then you usually suspect when your man is cheating. And as somebody said, that hubby sure indicated something was up by the way he interacted with Collete.

My favorite character is Kate, because I can totally relate. My younger sister is just like Laura. Pretty, popular, even got married before me. I love her, but it's hard to live in the shadow of Barbie when you're just a nerd. My favorite line of the series was when Laura yelled at Kate, "You never had any expectations put on you!" Ouch! I understand what Laura meant--that even pretty and popular people can be miserable. However, that line was so great because it was so ambiguous. You could also take it as an insult, just the way Kate did.

That being said, however, I agree that she totally overreacted with Laura. If that camera was so valuable, then Kate should have kept that sucker glued to her body, not left it lying around where anyone--such as a sticky-fingered hotel employee--could get to it.

And that reminds me. Yeah, the whole spying plotline kind of bugs me. Why does the CIA keep working with her? She got that guy's passport, but just barely, and only by taking it off the top of his pile of stuff where he could clearly see it was missing. And yes, it was terrible about the East German girl, but Kate did disobey a direct order from her handler. And then she screwed up with the camera. And this is a person you want for a spy? I just think it's too distracting. I enjoy watching the characters develop and wish they'd drop the spying thing.

On ABC's website, they have this feature where real life Pan Am stewardesses comment on the show. One of them said, "There were always rumors that such-and-such was working as a spy." Also, I read an article that said Pan Am really did do covert flights for the government, like for the Bay of Pigs, so it was plausible that they might have recruited a flight attendant to work for them.

I read another article about the history of flight attendants, and it said in the old days you had to learn things like poise and good posture, charm, and basically how to be glamorous. It also said you had to be single (never married), and that the airlines had strict weight limits--basically you had to be slender.

Ah, here's that article. They even show a real Life cover with a Pan Am stewardess on it! I love this quote from the magazine: “The job they want does not pay extraordinarily well, only $255 to $355 a month ... But the chance to fly, to see the world and meet all sorts of interesting people—mostly the kind of men who can afford to travel by plane—gives the job real glamo[u]r,”...

The Glamorous and Groundbreaking World of Early Flight Attendants - Slate Magazine

Forgot to add: I will cry if this show gets canceled. I really, really hope it will get released on DVD.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Just thought of something else. About dressing up: yes, passengers may have dressed down by the time I worked for the industry, but we weren't allowed to. When we went flying for personal business, we were told we still had to dress nicely. And whoa boy, you couldn't even dream of getting upgraded to first class unless you were dressed really well. "Dress like you belong there," we were told, "otherwise you won't." I distinctly remember squirming in my dressy clothes all the way to London in first class, because normally I just bummed around in blue jeans when I was at home. It was worth it, though, when I looked over and saw Jeff Goldblum sitting next to me.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

FORT Fogey

I don't like traveling. I did a little traveling and found that it was exhausting. Babbred, how was the smoking situation when you were a flight attendant? (I'm anti-smoking). I read that Disney won't allow main characters on their shows to smoke. I appreciate the Laura/Kate adult sibling rivalry storyline. I have several siblings... but at least with the two siblings on the show, there's a little bit of what clashing siblings are like.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I don't like traveling. I did a little traveling and found that it was exhausting. Babbred, how was the smoking situation when you were a flight attendant? (I'm anti-smoking). I read that Disney won't allow main characters on their shows to smoke. I appreciate the Laura/Kate adult sibling rivalry storyline. I have several siblings... but at least with the two siblings on the show, there's a little bit of what clashing siblings are like.
    I was actually a gate agent, and I worked from 2002-04, so it was well after the smoking ban. That's another reason why I like watching this show: it's nice to see the era when people actually liked flying.(sigh) For every bit of fun we had traveling, we paid for it by dealing with stressed-out, angry customers. Lord knows I'm not immune to it. My husband and I have a grim joke that I must be travel cursed, because every flight I take ends up getting delayed. Part of me misses my old job (I gave it up so I could stay home more after getting married), but whenever I hear those dreaded words, "Ladies and gentleman, our flight is going to be delayed today" I also feel grateful that I'm not working in the industry anymore.

I'm watching the episodes again, so here are some random thoughts.

Thank you for clarifying about the unusual arm position at the end of the pilot. I had been wondering about that myself.

And now for some dislikes.

The whole thing about Bridget being missing seemed rather clumsy after seeing the later episodes. I mean, later her handler tells Kate, "We'll have your sister reassigned." Well, couldn't they have done the same for Bridget? Just quietly pull strings to have her reassigned and replaced with Maggie? Why bring so much attention to the fact that she's gone?

And along that vein, why on earth would they make an Englishwoman go live in Kansas? Are they going to train her to shed her accent? Couldn't they have just worked with MI6 to bury her in England?

I like how they're layering Dean's character, but the whole thing about being a former pilot and having issues with his father did feel a bit cliched. I'm especially thinking of "Jag," "A Few Good Men," and just about every movie with a male hero.

I'm not particularly enamored of Dean. My, he certainly got over the love of his life quickly enough when that floozy threw herself at him, didn't he? Is this a rebound relationship?

Loved the Kennedy episode. I think it's my favorite episode so far. Loved Collete singing at the end, and loved all the Kennedy footage.

My second favorite character is Maggie. Like her, I was a bohemian intellectual in college. Want to hear how nerdy I was? When her BF made that remark about Marx and the dialectic, I knew the answer before Maggie said it! My mom actually used to worry that I would never get married since I was so "unfeminine," so I can relate to Maggie's and Kate's desire to break the rules and get out of their roles.

Speaking of which, I think Maggie's getting in trouble may have to do with her girdle. You remember at the end of the camera episode, it showed her coming out of the lavatory, having just put on her girdle as they arrived in New York? Laura laughed about it, but Kate was still in a snit and criticized her, and so Laura responded. Maggie tells Laura, "Don't worry, Kate's not a tattletale." As soon as she said that, I thought, "I bet Kate is going to squeal somewhere down the line." My feeling was reinforced after it was shown that Laura had moved out. It may look like Kate and Laura reconciled, but I bet Kate won't be able to resist the temptation and will take advantage of the situation when it arises, to get back at Maggie for "stealing" her sister.

Just wanted to mention for the Canadian "Pan Am" fans......

Bravo TV (for those in the GTA on Rogers it's channel 40) is showing the episodes on saturdays at 8 pm so we can re-watch. Yay ! Tonights episode is "One coin in a fountain". Looking foward to seeing Ted and Laura together - they had nice scenes in this one.
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

FORT Fogey

When I saw the record player and typewriter on the first episode, I thought they might get into Maggie's beatnik lifestyle. Actually, I think the prop department was just showing off their props. Maggie breaks the rules, and becomes "free" by not wearing a girdle, but I don't think there will be any intense, serious discussions about what "breaking free" really means. Laura got her freedom by running away from her wedding while wearing a wedding dress. Then she becomes a flight attendant and prepares meals for hundreds of strangers, instead of a husband and children. Is she really free? Is that progress? Dean met a lady who showed up in the cockpit. The writers are doing what they think will keep viewers interested. I think that Dean with that lady is a frivolous storyline.

CCL

It's not a political show. I'm sure they will touch on the feminist movement, along with other historical events/movements, but I don't need ideology to become the focus. With regards to Maggie and her "freedom," we will see that she gets in trouble for her actions in the episode tomorrow. I'm sure she will defend her choices and actions to the fullest. Maybe they will focus more on her beatnik lifestyle as well.
    With regards to Laura being free...well, she has a career now, whereas if she got married she (most likely) would not have. She has seen more of the world than she would have as a suburban housewife. Is she freer than she would have been as a wife? Maybe. She gets to run her own life at least, make her own choices, rather than have her money-making husband make the decisions (not that I think Greg would have been a dictator, he seems like a nice guy). I think she's still a bit childlike, following her sister into flight attendant school, having Ted look out for her, but she's just a fledgling so that's not altogether surprising.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread