+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Pan AM

Quote Originally Posted by nd4reality View Post
    I absolutely love this show and will be really disappointed if it gets cancelled. Love the costumes and the feel of the 60s which sadly I missed.
    But more than that, I am begining to get into the characters and the little nuances that the writers and actors display in each episode. Ted is turning out to be my favourite character with his one-liners and comments. I'm looking forward to seeing how is interactions with Laura start turning out each week. I think the CIA handler Richard is smoking and he and Laura seem to have great on-screen chemistry. Ep 6 should be an interesting episode so looking forward to.
    Here's hoping viewership improves - I like watching a bit of fluff and this is just about as nice a piece of fluff as we'll ever get.
    I agree Ted has moved up in my book.. and I must be the only one who is not a Colette fan.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I agree Ted has moved up in my book.. and I must be the only one who is not a Colette fan.
    I'm not a fan of Colette. My favorite characters are Laura, Kate, Ted and Maggie. I read that those at the network know that there are a lot of DVR viewers of Pan Am.

I agree with the posters that said that the timeslot is probably an issue. How many people watch TV at 10 pm on sundays when they have to be up bright and early to go to start their work week ?
    Has anyone heard if the filming of more episodes has taken place ? The spoilers for the already filmed episodes seem quite interesting too. Spoiler ****
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Laura is going to be dealing with her Virginity situation. This is one of the issues that was probably a big deal in the 60s so it will be interesting to see how they deal with that.
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

CCL

Spoiler sounds interesting.
    It airs at 7 pm here (well, that's one of the options. It also airs at 10 pm on a different channel). I usually tape it at 7 pm and watch it at 9 pm. 10 pm is late anyways, especially for a Sunday considering people are getting read for the school/work week.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I think once Desperate Housewives is over, they'll move it to that time slot. Apparently it must be doing rather well if the network is noticing DVR assignments being placed. A lot of series now count those toward the totals before deciding if the show continues or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I think once Desperate Housewives is over, they'll move it to that time slot. Apparently it must be doing rather well if the network is noticing DVR assignments being placed. A lot of series now count those toward the totals before deciding if the show continues or not.
    Can you explain ? I have no clue what that means and how the network is tracking stuff. TIA.
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by nd4reality View Post
    Can you explain ? I have no clue what that means and how the network is tracking stuff. TIA.
    When I read about show's ratings, all that I see are numbers of viewers. But, networks must have access to the number of Nielsen viewers who DVR. That way, they can estimate the total number of viewers who DVR.

nd4reality, the best I can explain is I think networks have access to this data because we've become so busy that we record things for viewing or - on the rare occasion - there are two shows that are doing really well but people record one in order to watch the other so they don't have to decide and risk canceling a show they love.

All I know is there's shows such as "Doctor Who" in the UK that rely on this in order to have a fairer assessment of the actors and the show stories themselves. This is especially needed in regard to the actor playing the Doctor because if he's bad, they might have to consider "regenerating" the character into a new one to save the show. (This has happened - though I think as a scapegoat scenario, back in the 80s when Colin Baker was sacked over low ratings and replaced with Sylvester McCoy).

I'm one of those who is a nightingale, not a lark. I rarely go to sleep before at least 1 AM, couldn't fall asleep if I did, and have been that way all my life, so I watch a lot of my recorded and On Demand shows in the wee hours. I have always been pretty useless in the early morning hours, so late night programming works for me.

I do work from home and set my own hours, which does help, of course, but I had the same schedule when I worked outside the home.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fanatic

And, of course, they are able to track people like me who watch the show online. This metric, actually, is the easiest to calculate and highly reliable because they can measure how many minutes viewers are watching the show. For example, my boss at a university I worked at as an administrator insisted that we record and make available online the workshops I used to give on how to teach college...even though I told him that my workshops are highly interactive and not TV worthy. Using the metrics, we were able to prove to him that I was right (ha!). The software aggregated the data and provided lots of useful information (like, the vast majority of people watching were not our faculty and the viewing usually lasted only until the first interactive activity). The ROI wasn't enough to justify the production expense.

+ Reply to Thread