+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

Re: Pan Am (ABC)

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46 View Post
    I hope this show does come back and don't plan to give GCB any of my time. There are too many shows like this, as already pointed out, but none like Pan Am.
    I'm not either, I can watch other shows, or my "Doctor Who" DVDs instead and work on my fused glass work.

Unfortunately, I think the crassness and mocking of Christianity will make this show just popular enough to let it stay over "Pan Am."

I'm hoping John Travolta would be willing to help out the show in any way possible beyond the plane to make ABC reconsider. It really deserves a chance to not be following "DH" honestly. I think it's part of the problem - people think they're similar, and rather than get two hours of over indulgence, they switch to something else.

One plus - "Pan Am" won't have to compete against a really good cast for "Celebrity Apprentice" right now while "GCB" will. In fact, I will most likely go to watch it during the 9 p.m. hour to make sure it stays on, showing approval for Trump casting people we WANT to watch on a reality show, and hopefully keep the ratings down enough for "GCB" they bring back "Pan Am."

Quote Originally Posted by Coco46 View Post
    I hope this show does come back and don't plan to give GCB any of my time. There are too many shows like this, as already pointed out, but none like Pan Am.
    I just found this thread and came here to see what was going on with Pan Am. I have loved it and sure hope it is coming back. I agree this show was very different than most. I was afraid it was cancelled after the way it ended, but could see where there are lots of potential stories that could allow it to come back.

I will absolutely not give GCB any of my time. I'm from Texas, and, religion aside, I'm offended at the stereotype that Southern women are bitchy hookers. Yuk yuk yuk.

I would far rather spend my time watching old episodes of Pan Am or break out a DVD of a movie I like. I really hope Pan Am makes it back because overall I have enjoyed watching this series. If not, then thanks for the memories, ABC, and thank you, Amazon for carrying this season.
    jadewarlock likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaceegirl View Post
    I just found this thread and came here to see what was going on with Pan Am. I have loved it and sure hope it is coming back. I agree this show was very different than most. I was afraid it was cancelled after the way it ended, but could see where there are lots of potential stories that could allow it to come back.
    The only scene I can see a little disconcerting is the one making sure all four stewardesses were in a single shot. That said, it was NOT all of the flight crew so there wasn't that finality of a full cast.

It also didn't have a finality like "V" did with the shot of more invaders coming in and everyone being blissed save Erica. Only real potential story there was Lisa managing to get out, because I didn't even feel the "Spec Ops" type team could've saved them. (Then again IMHO they blew it not letting the rebels win anything - even in the original series and mini-series they won from time to time).

This one had open options for ALL of the flight crew, no real finalities -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Collette and Dean searching for her brother, Kate possibly becoming a full time agent and having to decide between the two, Laura and Ted - with the Amanda triangle/possible deceit with the child, Maggie being her normal and slightly shady self with possibly becoming a strong empowered woman type

You don't normally leave a series with such specific and strong futures for characters. Then again, if stereotypes outweigh dreams? - "Pan Am" is sadly toast.

At least it did however get more episodes - or as many - as "Flying High."

The Ted and Laura storyline was lovely. I must say, though, that Laura was a saint for not slapping that fiancee and then throwing her out of the apartment. Also, does Ted's father remind anyone of David Ogdan Stiers, the guy who played the pompous Maj. Winchester on M*A*S*H?

Liked the trial of Dean, although I'm still confused. Why is that exec saving him?

The storyline with Collette was just wonderful. In fact, I think it was my favorite. I just have a tiny nitpick. The romance between her and the prince just didn't feel real to me. I mean, just a few years before this, Princess Margaret of England had created a firestorm by wanting to marry a commoner--and he was an Army officer who served as a royal equerry! In the end, she was forced to give him up. And yes, Prince Rainier did snap up Grace Kelly, but a) she came from a wealthy family and b) she was the reigning Queen of Hollywood at the time. Also, she gave up acting to become a royal (and did not live happily ever after, much like Princess Diana).

Loved the Maggie storyline. That was just cool the way she marched right into those crooks and coolly negotiated with them. And I loved the shot of her with the money on the bed! I wonder if they used real money?

For once, I actually cared about Kate and her spying. It was suspenseful and well-written. If only more of her spy adventures had been this good I would have enjoyed them earlier!

The only major criticism I had was that fact that they glossed over the Kennedy assassination. For Pete's sake, that was the defining moment of the entire decade, and for some their entire generation, and that's all we get? A few tears and "Well, that was an eventful year, wasn't it?" I was SO disappointed that they didn't make more of this. They had the chance to really make a powerful drama that would have resonated with many viewers, and they totally blew it. It was especially disappointing since they had an entire episode about Kennedy's Berlin speech.

I also kind of feel that way about Laura meeting Andy Warhol. After making that big deal about the nude pictures, and how Andy loved her and even wanted her for a model...that was it? No follow-up? Again, they missed a great opportunity to intersect with history.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Not a bad finale. They left enough open to get people to want to tune in next fall if it's back.
    Unfortunately I read an article about new pilots (pardon the pun) for the fall season & the actor who plays Dean was in one of the shows. I hope that's not a sign of things to come.
    He's in second position (or some terminology like that) on the new show which means that if Pan Am is picked up he is contractually obligated to return to the show. It's the same as what happened to that actor (name escapes me) who was in the first episode of New Girl. His original show (Happy Endings?) was picked up so he returned to it and they put in a new character and had his character move out or something (I stopped watching the show after the first episode). So, basically, he can get another job but it doesn't mean Pan Am is over.

I thought Maggie was all against the smuggling in a previous episode? Mind you, it does suit her character to be smuggling so there you go. And apparently the Portuguese lessons are paying off.

Colette being vetted by the prince's men was kind of creepy. When she was telling her stories to them it made me uncomfortable - it was something of her past she should be sharing with him and not with his personnel. But I can't stay mad at the prince as he was just so charming.

Who thinks that Amanda is not really pregnant and is just trying to "trap" Ted?

Kate was kick-butt this week. If the show comes back she will probably be off going through training, become a certified spy and then they will tell her "We've got a cover for your new spy life...Pan Am stewardess!"
    JulieAnn likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post

Who thinks that Amanda is not really pregnant and is just trying to "trap" Ted?
    * raises hand.* Poor Laura
    JulieAnn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post

Colette being vetted by the prince's men was kind of creepy. When she was telling her stories to them it made me uncomfortable - it was something of her past she should be sharing with him and not with his personnel. But I can't stay mad at the prince as he was just so charming.
    It's even creepier to think that this went on well into our own times. Back in the late 70's, Prince Charles had various GF's and affairs. However, they were all deemed "unsuitable" to be his wife, so he was pressured into marrying the virginal Diana.

FORT Fogey

GCB's pilot episode had 7.6 million viewers and a 2.2 rating. Pan Am's pilot episode had 11.06 million viewers and a 3.1 viewer rating. I didn't watch 'GCB,' but in the previews, it looked trashy. 'Pan Am' is elegant.

I watched "Good Christian Bitches" and kind of hated it. Partly because I can't stand Chenowith and her (nails on a chalkboard) voice, and partly because I worked with/for that type several years ago when I was desperate for employment and worked for a televangelist. Uggghhh...
    PLEASE BRING BACK "PAN AM"!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread