+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 399
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

  1. #301
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I don't think Hollywood is any different today for bigtime movie stars. Not only is there a lot of gossip about two successful married movie stars, a third one might 'date' supermodels to cover up his closet gayness. I think the press at one time, was much more carefully controlled. Today, there are stories printed in tabloids, and of course, the internet. Also, I think my next door neighbour is gay, and as far as I know, he's never had a relationship. (He grew up in another country). I think he might be living in denial. So is anything really any different than it was in the past?
    Several years ago I read a book by a flight attendant about the secrets of the travel industry. He talked about on one flight in First Class a certain famous movie star was expressing more than friendship with his "companion". He wouldn't give the actor's name, though, since he said it would ruin the actor's macho image with the public. So, sadly, some things haven't changed.


    I still don't think the shock value of lesbianism will help the ratings. It's not something that will attract mainstream viewers.
    I agree. Yes, there have been gay people throughout history. However, we barely know Ted's GF and have been given no clue that she was anything other than straight before this. It just feels forced to have suddenly "come out" to Maggie. You're right, Bachelor, "shock value" is about the right term, and it probably won't help the ratings a bit. Who do they think would appreciate a plot like that? Younger viewers? And who do they think their core demographic is? I'm guessing older viewers who have actually heard of Robert Redford.
    ilja likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  2. #302
    FORT Fogey march's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    884

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Also, I had a hard time understanding Collette's actions. If my BF went to talk to his ex-, then came back and told me "Nope, it's you!" I would have embraced him and thanked the heavens that he had come to his senses. I just don't understand her pushing him away again.
    I wish she would have. I like Collette with Dean better than Bridget.

  3. #303
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Several years ago I read a book by a flight attendant about the secrets of the travel industry. He talked about on one flight in First Class a certain famous movie star was expressing more than friendship with his "companion". He wouldn't give the actor's name, though, since he said it would ruin the actor's macho image with the public. So, sadly, some things haven't changed. I agree. Yes, there have been gay people throughout history. However, we barely know Ted's GF and have been given no clue that she was anything other than straight before this. It just feels forced to have suddenly "come out" to Maggie. You're right, Bachelor, "shock value" is about the right term, and it probably won't help the ratings a bit. Who do they think would appreciate a plot like that? Younger viewers? And who do they think their core demographic is? I'm guessing older viewers who have actually heard of Robert Redford.
    Only about 2 percent of people are gay, and this show needs more viewers. The preview of the lesbian scene seemed jarring to me. I was hoping that this show would be an adventure; a fun, romantic, little escapist fantasy, but it's trying to be "too" real.
    ilja and Babbred like this.

  4. #304
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Only about 2 percent of people are gay, and this show needs more viewers. The preview of the lesbian scene seemed jarring to me. I was hoping that this show would be an adventure; a fun, romantic, little escapist fantasy, but it's trying to be "too" real.
    Thank you! That's exactly how I feel, as if I'm watching some bog standard modern drama dressed up with a few costumes. This show is really going downhill for me.


    And I'm still confused about the Bridget plotline. So Richard and Kate kept the list from being discovered. Doesn't that mean that things are essentially unchanged? I'm sorry, but this plot just doesn't do anything for me, either. Right now the only plot I care about is Laura pining after Ted while he chases somebody else. Alas, I've been in her shoes before.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  5. #305
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,657

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Yeah, I didn't get that either Babbred. They said originally that Bridget had to go into hiding because someone had spotted her on a mission (she'd outed herself; she failed to complete the mission as required so, on her own time, followed the guy and took his picture and was spotted doing so as I recall. Sounds like something Kate would do). So why all of a sudden is her name being on the list so important when she was already outed as a spy to the (bad) people that mattered? I think they just wanted to bring her back to throw a wrench in the Colette-Dean storyline, which they could have easily done by having her say that the bad guys who knew her identity had been captured and she was safe now, without referring to the list.

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Only about 2 percent of people are gay, and this show needs more viewers. The preview of the lesbian scene seemed jarring to me. I was hoping that this show would be an adventure; a fun, romantic, little escapist fantasy, but it's trying to be "too" real.
    I thought it was ten percent. Anyhow, I'm not surprised at the storyline, mostly because I'd heard the spoiler, and also because Ashley Greene is such a big movie star (in her own mind, at least), that she wouldn't have signed up for a typical love triangle story that would involve, say, twenty episodes. This way, she's in and she's out in 3-4 episodes.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  6. #306
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Yeah, I didn't get that either Babbred. They said originally that Bridget had to go into hiding because someone had spotted her on a mission (she'd outed herself; she failed to complete the mission as required so, on her own time, followed the guy and took his picture and was spotted doing so as I recall. Sounds like something Kate would do). So why all of a sudden is her name being on the list so important when she was already outed as a spy to the (bad) people that mattered? I think they just wanted to bring her back to throw a wrench in the Colette-Dean storyline, which they could have easily done by having her say that the bad guys who knew her identity had been captured and she was safe now, without referring to the list.
    Exactly!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  7. #307
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    I don't think the writers had a choice about including the lesbian storyline. I've been reading about the gay agenda. Gay activists influence those in the entertainment industry and others in powerful positions to promote their lifestyle. There have been several recent TV shows which have had gay characters, and it's not by chance. I don't think the networks care if shows don't succeed, since they have several replacement shows lined up.
    Babbred likes this.

  8. #308
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,203

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post

    I thought it was ten percent. Anyhow, I'm not surprised at the storyline, mostly because I'd heard the spoiler, and also because Ashley Greene is such a big movie star (in her own mind, at least), that she wouldn't have signed up for a typical love triangle story that would involve, say, twenty episodes. This way, she's in and she's out in 3-4 episodes.
    Eh, Greene is the only reason worth watching the "Twilight" series to me - she makes Alice interesting and fits the role well.

    That said - I agree with the rest of your statement in regard to why she may have signed up. I think she's actually pretty good in this role and fits the era nicely.

  9. #309
    FORT Fogey Coco46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,074

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I don't think the writers had a choice about including the lesbian storyline. I've been reading about the gay agenda. Gay activists influence those in the entertainment industry and others in powerful positions to promote their lifestyle. There have been several recent TV shows which have had gay characters, and it's not by chance. I don't think the networks care if shows don't succeed, since they have several replacement shows lined up.
    Somehow, I don't think the gay community is trying to promote "their lifestyle". It really isn't a lifestyle or a choice they make, it is the way they were born and really, they have no choice. These stories are the facts of life and out there with no promotion necessary. Sometimes, however, the stories on these shows are true to life and sometimes they are down right silly, stupid and degrading. No, I am not gay, but have friends that are and they have no agenda. Dont' know really where PanAm is going with this storyline.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

  10. #310
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,358

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    The numbers of viewers of the most recent episode has been revised down. The rating was still 1.3, but instead of 4.04 million viewers, there were 3.96 million viewers.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.