+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: Pan AM

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Originally Posted by jadewarlock

Thing is - as far as I know Pan Am no longer exists - or at least in the form we see on the show. Only other thing is that the network is paying bukoos of money to be allowed to the use the name.

I know Pan Am no longer exists, but the show still felt like a long commercial.
    Pan Am does still exist... if in name only. The were doing cargo flights.. and it was mentioned that this year (no idea if its still on the table) they did plan on reviving passenger service.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think wigs were uncommon then (except maybe for black women, but none of them were stewardesses I'm pretty sure...all white as far as I recall).
    But maybe stewardesses would have them to keep the "look", who knows?
    Yes, shoulder bags were a later innovation (and freed up the hands, amazing!). So if you wanted your hand free you carried them in the crook...your hand then either hung down, the "broken wing" position as my mother critically named it, reminiscent of a super effeminate gay posture...or Bette Midler... or up. I think it would be likely that they were told the "correct" position.

And more Homefront love....you know who was in that who just won an Emmy, right?
    Moontat likes this.

CCL

Kyle Chandler.
    I did a quick search and it said the trend for wearing wigs came back in vogue in the late 1950s and that by the early 60s there was a big wig industry in place.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I have this recorded and am looking forward to watching it, if for no other reason than to remember those days.
    People really did dress up when flying, even wearing hats and furs and men in suits w/ties. Check out any old movie, like The High and the Mighty to see this. To be honest, people dressed up a lot for many many occassions.
    But I must disagree with a couple things posted here. I remember learning about wearing a girdle in high school so we could wear "hose." Pantyhose hadn't been invented for the average woman then. I went to high school from 1960 to 1964, straight out of Catholic elementary school and knew nothing about hose or girdles. And as a teen, I didn't need a girdle for it's main purpose, except to hold up the hose.

Wigs, falls and hairpieces really didn't come into fashion until late '60's and early '70's. This I can verify from all the pictures of me and my wigs in my photo albums.
    Now this is being said from the perspective of someone who lived this era in Southern California. It might very well have been different in other states.

Pan Am is such an iconic name that a couple years ago, I couldn't pass up buying an original blue Pan Am travel bag on Ebay. It's fun to use and people are always stopping me to ask about it. I know that they were once given free to first class passengers but others could buy them.
    I love items like this that can evoke an entire era when you see it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re when the girdle disappeared.... but they had garter belts in the late 50's....that's what the girls I knew wore, unless they had weight issues. I agree, no pantyhose at that point...vide, Back to the Future! Of course Catholic school might have been much like Pan Am, not wanting the slight natural "wiggle"...

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I was a Catholic school girl. We wore garter belts (some of us still do). I didn't get my first pair of pantyhose till I was 14, and I thought they were a miracle.

I used to save then when I got runners on one side only. I'd cut off the "bad" leg and match them up with another pair with runs on the opposite leg. That was back when 2 waistbands did not bother me.
    nanarama likes this.

I watched it.

Overall, I actually liked it, and will watch it again.

At least for a few shows whenever I can.

I loved indulging in it from a nostalgia viewpoint. Yep, as others have indicated, flying at that time was an EVENT, and people DID dress up to go on planes. The same way they'd dress up to go to church. People actually WERE that starched and pressed. Wild as it seems now, people actually WERE able to smoke on planes. Actual MEALS with actual cutlery and dishware (NOT plastic knives and forks or little plastic or aluminum pans) WERE served throughout the plane.

The scene where the runaway bride and her sister took off from the wedding? I laughed out loud, because their car of choice was strikingly similar to one my aunt drove at the time.

Pocketbooks (yes, that's what we called them, then!) carried in the crook of the arm? LOL, again! Yep, we did THAT, too! Girdles, yep! But --- in our case --- ONLY if you were a high school sub-freshman (i.e., 13 years old, 8th grade; there WERE no Middle Schools in our area, then; you went from 7th grade in elementary school directly into 8th grade in high school). Back in my day, during those days, even for "dress up" purposes, it was considered scandalous for a girl 7th grade or below (12 years old or below) to wear anything even vaguely resembling stockings. Of course, that standard relaxed, faded and disappeared altogether as the 60s moved into the early 70s.

Wigs? Hairpieces? Yep, in MY area of the country, we WERE wearing them, then. So, it's possible.

SO much nostalgia . . .

As for the show . . .

I agree with jadewarlock, upthread. It was VERY jarring to me to see Christina Ricci's long, messy hair when she was rushing around (with bangs, no less!) after having gotten the call from Scheduling to work that flight, then, when she got to the airport, see her with a sleek bob that did look to be at least 4 to 5 inches shorter. Obviously, the show had to be shot out of sequence, but I find it really strange that when they were putting it in sequence and editing it for airing, SOMEBODY didn't catch that. Or at least have her mention on-camera that her hair was so messy she'd slapped on a wig, or something,

To me, the show took a sec to find its legs (struck me as kinda fuzzy and slow, at first). Once it did, it was OK.

I, too, am intrigued regarding how the wife knew the French stewardess had slept with her husband, but I'm assuming that's a thread they chose to leave loose so we'd be annoyed by it (kinda like having something stuck in a back tooth, I guess), and check the show out again, just to see if the thread had been pulled loose, cut off, or whatever.

I want to see where the relationship between the sisters is going. Are they going to be constant rivals, or what?

I wonder.

I think once it gets fleshed out more, it might be OK.

LOVE the nostalgia. Might be worth it to tune in again just to remember, and smile, for me!
    Last edited by ness; 09-27-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fanatic

I'm not bothered by the wife knowing about the husband and stewardess. It was pretty obvious based on their behavior and the fact that he hunted her down to talk to her during the flight. If I were the wife, I'd guess it based on the vibes they were giving off.

The show wasn't perfect, but I liked it.
    And, I like Christina Ricci so much, that I didn't notice any of her "imperfections". I just think she's a very credible actress.
    Not at all surprised that the wife knew the husband was having an affair with the stew. Lots of affairs were taking place back then. And, yes, wives usually knew about them.
    People did dress up to get on a plane. Flying was actually a very pleasant experience back then. Not at all the cattle call it's become.
    I lived on EC and knew several Pan Am stews back then.
    All were very attractive and spoke a second language.
    And, yes, they did have to wear girdles.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Finally watched the show and enjoyed it but I'm not sure if it's because the show was good or I enjoyed reminiscing about those days. It was fun and very pleasant to fly in those days. People behaved better, had manners, the crew treated them like royalty and roomy!!
    As for the wife, informing the French stew that she knew about her husband and her, I think the stewardess was not the first affair of her husband's. I think she recognized the behavior of both the husband and the other woman.

+ Reply to Thread