+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 399
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

  1. #241
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,086

    Re: Pan AM

    Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And speaking of which, since the Christian Right likes to howl when it's offended, there's chance that this replacement show might not last long. I hope so, because I'd rather watch Pan Am.
    I am part of that "Christian Right" and yes, I can see humor in every day life with our religion. I have no problems with jokes in good humor or taste - but I am offended being called a Christian Bitch, because I don't espouse religion when I do something wrong or pray that I win a contest or the like such as what you see on these TV series. I hope that explains some on my stance.

    That said, I personally would rather watch "Pan Am" myself - it's got decent plots, it lets people imagine or go back in time when life wasn't waiting in line for at least a half an hour or the like just to get through the gates and other gripes we all have for the current state of transportation.

    CCL, I personally think they had Nadine (I think her real name) backtrack because they don't want to give it no chance to come back. With our Internet age, if people think it's gone and it isn't there's a chance that people will not come back and watch when it actually does. Of course this is IMHO, but I think it'd be better to know they did the back track... because then there is at least hope.

    (OK, as mentioned I'm an eternal optimist, but I get SO irritated when they don't give GOOD shows a fair shot. I understood "Charlie's Angels" and "V" being canceled - bad acting and in the latter not letting the revolutionists actually win things (I must be one of the few who CELEBRATED the V's win after they killed Diana, Ryan and Tyler), but this one I really don't except it's at a bad time. They need to move it around and try it on another time that isn't right after a very popular show - "DH.")

  2. #242
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,599

    Re: Pan AM

    ^Her name is Karine Vanasse. She's the best thing about the show, in my opinion.
    I like your thought process and I hope you're right.
    Coco46 likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  3. #243
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,086

    Re: Pan AM

    Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    ^Her name is Karine Vanasse. She's the best thing about the show, in my opinion.
    I like your thought process and I hope you're right.
    My apologies - I think I have her real name confused with one of the other actresses. Nadine would fit her as well, but Karine is best.

    And I do agree - she's got one of the best ranges of the cast - the dry wit and humor, the more dramatic issues, the confidence and probably the best fooling people she really is a stewardess over any of the others. Then again, an article I read about their costuming and the like the costume director said that she was the most comfortable in the entire outfit, undergarments and all. It shows.

  4. #244
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,865

    Re: Pan AM

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I am part of that "Christian Right" and yes, I can see humor in every day life with our religion. I have no problems with jokes in good humor or taste - but I am offended being called a Christian Bitch, because I don't espouse religion when I do something wrong or pray that I win a contest or the like such as what you see on these TV series. I hope that explains some on my stance.
    I was raised in the CR, so I used to be a hard-core member until I moved to Europe. Now I'm more of a centrist. I don't get wound up if, say, a city hall refuses to display a nativity scene. However, tossing out crude insults is another matter entirely. So yeah, if this replacement show really does call us a bad name, I will sign the petition to get it yanked--and then hopefully go back to watching my favorite show.

    That said, I personally would rather watch "Pan Am" myself - it's got decent plots, it lets people imagine or go back in time when life wasn't waiting in line for at least a half an hour or the like just to get through the gates and other gripes we all have for the current state of transportation.
    I have been flying since I was six years old. We moved around a great deal, so I would fly back home to visit the grandparents, and now I fly to England about once a year to visit hubby's family. I love Pan Am, because it lets me experience a time when there weren't cranky travelers, overworked flight attendants, tin foil sandwiches, claustrophobic planes, etc. etc. etc. If I could step into a time machine, one of the things I would like to do is fly Pan Am during it's golden age. I'd also like to bring back one of those cool bags.

    That reminds me. I found a company that does vintage lingerie. They sell girldle/stocking combinations just like Laura wore in "Eastern Exposure." If anybody's remotely interested, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the web address ( I'm not sure if I can post it here since it's a business).
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  5. #245
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Pan AM

    The typical number of episodes in a seaon for a network TV show is 22. Pan Am only had 14 episodes ordered because the network hasn't decided if they want to keep the show or cancel it. 39 shows for a season sounds like a lot of shows. I don't think that in the past, TV actors made much money. I don't know what the production costs of a TV show in the past were.

  6. #246
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Pan AM

    A British writer referred to the Pan Am TV show as mediocre. Pan Am is on at the same time as another popular show in Britain. In Ireland, Pan Am is shown on a channel which is losing viewers. There are several countries that buy a lot of American shows, because the countries are smaller; and therefore have less money to produce their own shows. I don't know how they judge how popular Pan Am is in other countries, unless those from the Pan Am show read other country's message boards.

  7. #247
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,086

    Re: Pan AM

    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    A British writer referred to the Pan Am TV show as mediocre. Pan Am is on at the same time as another popular show in Britain. In Ireland, Pan Am is shown on a channel which is losing viewers. There are several countries that buy a lot of American shows, because the countries are smaller; and therefore have less money to produce their own shows. I don't know how they judge how popular Pan Am is in other countries, unless those from the Pan Am show read other country's message boards.
    Point of advice - from what I've read about British reviewers, they tend to be this way about every show except possibly "East Enders" which for me is truly a boring show. (It's a soap opera). Even highly popular shows there - "My Hero" (though this one is now ended), "Doctor Who" and a few others, get the mediochre ranking from time to time.

    The others are yes, a little bit disconcerting.

    Still... IMHO on an international scale we will see people prefer "Pan Am" over "GCB" because save a few shows, they tend to frown about mocking religion ("Father Ted" probably one of the few true exceptions I"ve seen - "Vicar of Dibley" was a comedy, but that show with Dawn French as a woman vicar - before this time - actually did foretell a future where women could serve as priests and pastors).

    (Maybe I'm rooting too hard for this show, but sheesh... this is the first show in a very long time I've actually wanted to see a new show make it longer than a season on ABC. I think the other exception was "Castle" which is now on its fourth or fifth season).

  8. #248
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Pan AM

    Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Point of advice - from what I've read about British reviewers, they tend to be this way about every show except possibly "East Enders" which for me is truly a boring show. (It's a soap opera). Even highly popular shows there - "My Hero" (though this one is now ended), "Doctor Who" and a few others, get the mediochre ranking from time to time. The others are yes, a little bit disconcerting. Still... IMHO on an international scale we will see people prefer "Pan Am" over "GCB" because save a few shows, they tend to frown about mocking religion ("Father Ted" probably one of the few true exceptions I"ve seen - "Vicar of Dibley" was a comedy, but that show with Dawn French as a woman vicar - before this time - actually did foretell a future where women could serve as priests and pastors). (Maybe I'm rooting too hard for this show, but sheesh... this is the first show in a very long time I've actually wanted to see a new show make it longer than a season on ABC. I think the other exception was "Castle" which is now on its fourth or fifth season).
    Darren Star, the producer of GCB, was banned from the set. The majority of the reviews of the pilot were negative. It usually takes a few weeks before shows start airing in the foreign market. I hope viewers in the foreign market don't approve of GCB. Ten episodes of GCB were ordered. I'll be carefully following GCB's Nielsen ratings. GCB is about a mean girl who returns to her howmtown 20 years later: the show doesn't sound interesting.

  9. #249
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,599

    Re: Pan Am (ABC)

    Hoping, hoping. Especially as I saw a clip of the new episode involving Dean and Colette and my reaction was .
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  10. #250
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,322

    Re: Pan AM

    Margot Robbie, who plays Laura, was on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon." I would have posted the information earlier, but I found out at the last minute that she would be on. Robbie didn't talk about the future of the Pan Am show. She mentioned that pilot season is in January, and started taping Pan Am in March. She had a shy, tentative way of walking out on stage, but she was very talkative. She mentioned that the Late Night show is shown in Australia. She had a picture of herself in the studio audience of a previous Late Night show. They showed a clip from an episode of Pan Am that hasn't aired yet. Robbie was talking to an older man in the clip.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.