+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

Re: Pan AM

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Last night's episode was so much more interesting. Past episodes have felt like watching the scenery, but this one had so many different gripping plotlines. The Hatian girl they saved, Henry dying, the less-experienced captain not listening to the new 3rd chair guy, Colette & the captain kissing, dropping the suitcases off for weight, the rebels with guns, the doctor, etc. I was totally immersed, great show!
    That's basically how I felt, too. I've enjoyed the past episodes, but mainly for shallow reasons, like the costumes, the history, etc. This show has been like eye candy for me.

This past epi, though, was simply a great dramatic show. My favorite story was the one with Kate and the older gentleman. In fact, to be honest, I would have preferred to see more of him and hear more of his story than to have that whole refugee plotline, but ce la vie, as Collette would say. I'm glad we had the little bit that they showed.

There were lots of good things about the epi. Loved the opening scene with Dean trapped in the cockpit with Ted blathering on. Been there, done that. Used to have a co-worker who never knew when to be quiet and would drive everybody crazy.

Loved the scenes with Dean and Collette, especially when they argued about the refugee. Of course Dean was going to give in, but it was still a good scene.

Loved Ted's remark, "Aren't all tower people supposed to speak English?" Great research by the writers. Yes, pilots and control tower agents are required to speak English, the international language of air traffic.

Loved having the sassy Maggie back. She had my favorite line. "While she deals with the guys with the guns, how about I make you a nice cup of hot tea?" The look on the jerk's face was priceless.

Ah, the infamous baggage dumping. We used to dread hearing the ramp agents radio up to us, "The plane's too heavy, we're unloading some bags." At least we were able to eventually reunite them with the customers , though.

The ending was a bit cliched (imitating the ending of "Spartacus" has been done many times before), but it was still cute. And since we didn't find out what happened to Dean after the Ginny affair, it was good to see the resolution of this one.
    Cornholio likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't know. I hope so. I hear it is doing very well internationally.
    If it's doing well internationally, I think we'll get to see at least another season. Anything that goes international usually is seen as gold because it can be marketed for several audiences. It's why shows such as "Doctor Who" are so long-lived - when they announced/it was leaked like the third episode of the 2005 restart that Christopher Eccleston was going to leave the show, I thought "Oh great... that's it for the show because fans will leave." That said, they're now entering a seventh series (season) thanks to the directors not giving up, seeing the international appeal, and casting excellent actors as the Doctor (David Tennant then Matt Smith), and the like.

I think "Pan Am" works because they are doing well at keeping the show pretty accurate to real life and intertwining real events in life with the characters as participants. What makes this one work over "The Playboy Club" though is that the intertwining done in the writing is done much better.

That's probably why this past episode is one of my favorites, though I do wish they had a little less of the Haitian plot and more of the ill passenger. Sadly... that was pretty accurate for even the '60s - if you didn't get anything to help ease the symptoms you'd probably die. And sometimes, even nitro didn't work at helping until you got to the hospital - Gracie Allen, George Burns' wife, had a heart attack, the nitro didn't help out and she later died. Quite sad.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    If it's doing well internationally, I think we'll get to see at least another season. Anything that goes international usually is seen as gold because it can be marketed for several audiences. It's why shows such as "Doctor Who" are so long-lived - when they announced/it was leaked like the third episode of the 2005 restart that Christopher Eccleston was going to leave the show, I thought "Oh great... that's it for the show because fans will leave." That said, they're now entering a seventh series (season) thanks to the directors not giving up, seeing the international appeal, and casting excellent actors as the Doctor (David Tennant then Matt Smith), and the like.
    It's funny, because growing up in America, I always heard my friends rave about Dr. Who. It wasn't until I moved to England and they rebooted it, though, that I finally watched it. I had to get my husband to explain it to me. I stopped watching after David Tennant left, but I'm really glad it's still going on strong.

I think "Pan Am" works because they are doing well at keeping the show pretty accurate to real life and intertwining real events in life with the characters as participants. What makes this one work over "The Playboy Club" though is that the intertwining done in the writing is done much better.
    I couldn't help myself. I'm a historical nut , so I looked up the hurricane they were talking about. Turns out there was a Hurricane Jenny in 1961, but it mainly hit Puerto Rico. But hey, they were only off by a couple of years and it was the same general area, so I'll let the writers have a pass.

That does make me wonder, though. Jenny occurred in November. If the show is going to keep moving forward in time, are they going to deal with President Kennedy's assassination? Wow. That would be a really sad episode, especially after they did cheerful one about his Berlin speech.

That's probably why this past episode is one of my favorites, though I do wish they had a little less of the Haitian plot and more of the ill passenger. Sadly... that was pretty accurate for even the '60s - if you didn't get anything to help ease the symptoms you'd probably die. And sometimes, even nitro didn't work at helping until you got to the hospital - Gracie Allen, George Burns' wife, had a heart attack, the nitro didn't help out and she later died. Quite sad.
    This is one of my favorite episodes, too, since you really saw the characters develop. And yes, the whole time that poor gentleman suffered, I kept thinking, "I am so glad I live today with more advanced medicine."
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    It's funny, because growing up in America, I always heard my friends rave about Dr. Who. It wasn't until I moved to England and they rebooted it, though, that I finally watched it. I had to get my husband to explain it to me. I stopped watching after David Tennant left, but I'm really glad it's still going on strong.
    Smith is good, but I've seen at least one episode of all Doctors, and I haven't had an issue with all of them. But it's a good example of the power of international appeal.

I couldn't help myself. I'm a historical nut , so I looked up the hurricane they were talking about. Turns out there was a Hurricane Jenny in 1961, but it mainly hit Puerto Rico. But hey, they were only off by a couple of years and it was the same general area, so I'll let the writers have a pass.
    The only thing that irritated me about the hurricane bit is there'd been more damage, even category 1 in Haiti. Ike a few years ago had damage even 200 miles in that was pretty severe.

That does make me wonder, though. Jenny occurred in November. If the show is going to keep moving forward in time, are they going to deal with President Kennedy's assassination? Wow. That would be a really sad episode, especially after they did cheerful one about his Berlin speech.
    Iffy - JFK of course landed in Texas. Pan Am is international, and I don't think Love Airport then or now has international flights (though he could've landed at DFW). I also don't think he took an international trip just prior to that fateful trip.

Regardless he'd landed on Air Force 1, so there'd be no reason for the stewardesses to be there.

This is one of my favorite episodes, too, since you really saw the characters develop. And yes, the whole time that poor gentleman suffered, I kept thinking, "I am so glad I live today with more advanced medicine."
    Me too, but for another reason.

Smith is good, but I've seen at least one episode of all Doctors, and I haven't had an issue with all of them. But it's a good example of the power of international appeal.
    Alas, when Rose died, I just couldn't get over it. To me The Dr. and his companion will always be Tenant and Rose.

The only thing that irritated me about the hurricane bit is there'd been more damage, even category 1 in Haiti. Ike a few years ago had damage even 200 miles in that was pretty severe.
    And I did wonder how armed rebels would know how to use the equipment in the control tower? Or why they would even be in the tower? Unless they were expecting another plane...hmmm.

And since flight attendants usually pass out Immigration and Customs forms just before you land, then I guess Haiti is off the coast of Venezuela now.

Ok, I couldn't help it. I'm watching the epi again, and hearing Ted talk about Papa Doc the Dictator made me curious. I had heard of the latter before, so I looked him up. Turns out that like most dictators, America had an on-again, off-again relationship with the good Doc. At the time of this epi, it was off because our government found out Doc had been appropriating millions of dollars of our aid money for his personal use. Ted's reference to the Marines was to a peacekeeping mission they had undertaken to train Haiti's army. They had packed up and left not long before this epi.

Speaking of which, it's kind of ironic that Ted tells Collette, "I know that sounds a little imperialistic to the French." Just a few years before this, the French had gotten their rear ends kicked by their colony of Vietnam, which created a power vacuum when they left, which caused us to intervene.

Iffy - JFK of course landed in Texas. Pan Am is international, and I don't think Love Airport then or now has international flights (though he could've landed at DFW). I also don't think he took an international trip just prior to that fateful trip.
    Love Field only does flights for Southwest Airlines now. Back then, however, it was the only airport the city of Dallas had, so it would have received all the major airlines. That's why Air Force One landed there. (I just happen to live in Dallas. )

Regardless he'd landed on Air Force 1, so there'd be no reason for the stewardesses to be there.
    I didn't mean that our beloved crew would be directly involved. I meant more along the lines of the Berlin epi, where they have some sort of indirect contact. Maybe they're watching TV when the news breaks in, or Ted and Dean hear about it over the plane's radio. I don't know. Since they did the epi about Kennedy's speech in Berlin, I just thought it would be nice to reference the assassination. Since the show right now is in the year 1963, it's kind of like waiting for the shoe to drop.

Watching the scene with the hungry rebels again. My English major self loves the quote Maggie tosses out from Hemingway. And there's my favorite line again about the guns and the tea. I think I'll make that my signature.
    Last edited by Babbred; 11-16-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    jadewarlock likes this.

Ah, thanks for the help on Love Field. I wasn't sure which one was the older of the two (and I have to admit last time I was at Love, I didn't have a good experience - and IMHO it was as bad as the one in this past ep WITHOUT the weapons and the like. ).

I think should they get another season (which I'm hoping this is actually a good show), I wouldn't be surprised if we see things such as the Kennedy assassination being covered, some more of the Cold War issues, maybe a bit about segregation/civil rights and the like. I do think though they shouldn't go so far ahead that they'll end up having to put in comments of other stewardesses wearing "indecent/immodest clothing" (Southwest Airlines and the short shorts they wore on those planes way back in the day).

Besides, it's nice to have the stories such as Collette being an orphan during WWII, Maggie being a bit of the women's libber and putting men in their place (such as the Hemmingway quote - smarts and sass), and the other two struggling to be who they are instead of who their mom wants them to be.

I do have to chuckle though - I also just like watching the show for the pretty costumes and the pretty balloons decorating the inside of the plane.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I don't know if they will or not but I was reading the new People Magazine today and they had an article with a Pan Am stewardess who was one of the Pan Am stewardess with the press charter flight that accompanied JFK to Dallas and was there during that fateful time. So they could certainly make it that the crew was there. Though so far all their flights have been international...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Ah, thanks for the help on Love Field. I wasn't sure which one was the older of the two (and I have to admit last time I was at Love, I didn't have a good experience - and IMHO it was as bad as the one in this past ep WITHOUT the weapons and the like. ).
    DFW International Airport and I are roughly the same age. We were both born around the time when Southwest was making their stewardesses wear those horrible outfits.

I think should they get another season (which I'm hoping this is actually a good show), I wouldn't be surprised if we see things such as the Kennedy assassination being covered, some more of the Cold War issues, maybe a bit about segregation/civil rights and the like. I do think though they shouldn't go so far ahead that they'll end up having to put in comments of other stewardesses wearing "indecent/immodest clothing" (Southwest Airlines and the short shorts they wore on those planes way back in the day).
    Oh my gosh, no. I want it to stay firmly in the 60's. I must say, though, that Maggie would probably get a kick out of disco.

I do have to chuckle though - I also just like watching the show for the pretty costumes and the pretty balloons decorating the inside of the plane.
    My favorite scene of the whole show is at the beginning of "We'll Always Have Paris," where Collette gets to drive Dean's convertible. She just looks so glamorous in that scarf and sunglasses. And the dialogue sparkles like champagne, just like in those classic old movies.

"I just have one question."
    "What?"
    "How fast does this thing go?"
    "Wrong question!"

And I almost started to make the following lines my signature.

"You do have your license, don't you?"
    "License, what license?"

Love it!

Thank you, CCL, for the info about Kennedy and Pan Am. That would make sense that Pan Am would do the press plane, since they did it for the Berlin speech. Oh my goodness, how sad...

When the Space Shuttle Columbia blew up in 2003, the airline community were the first to hear about it. NASA put out a telex to all the air traffic controllers, who passed it on to us. I remember standing at the gate reading that printout and wanting to cry, but having to act normal around the passengers who were about to board. (This was before they put TV's in the gates.) That would make a powerful episode, with the crew having to act normal around the passengers on their flight while being all torn up inside. I think having them actually go to Dallas might be a little too overwhelming, but maybe not if it was written well.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't know if they will or not but I was reading the new People Magazine today and they had an article with a Pan Am stewardess who was one of the Pan Am stewardess with the press charter flight that accompanied JFK to Dallas and was there during that fateful time. So they could certainly make it that the crew was there. Though so far all their flights have been international...
    I read the same article. The first thing I thought of when I heard the gun shots and the screaming in the promo was of JFK being shot. So far each episode has taken place during he third or fourth week of the month so if they follow that timeline November is the next month and it would coincide with the JFK assassination.

CCL

ABC has announced its midseason schedule; Pan Am is scheduled to be replaced in March. Hopefully the ratings pick up so that it keeps its tine slot (or, better, gets moved up an hour) or is moved to another night, rather than just disappearing from our screens.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread