+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

CCL

Re: Pan AM

I'm sure she would have made sure the photos were safe; maybe she even has the negatives. Just because she posed for the photos doesn't mean they will ever be seen by anyone else.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

And what about Pan Am? If they were willing to suspend Maggie for a "girdle violation" and fire her for a little sass, then would they tolerate their poster girl creating a scandal like that? They would fire her in a New York minute if they found out. That nasty "girdle checking" lady would probably take malicious pleasure in holding up Laura as an example to the others.

Would Laura risk her job like that, after defying her family and having them give her the cold shoulder? Her job is all she has now. Even Maggie was so desperate to keep her job that she sold out a friend, and then raced to quickly learn the language she lied about knowing. If Laura would truly risk her job just to "find herself," then I don't have any respect for her, either.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

Yes, but you're assuming Pan Am would find out. There's no reason to suggest they would.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    No disrespect to Ms. Williams, but as I said, Laura was raised in what appears to be a wealthy family, and this was back in the 60's. Back then girls of her class were treated like nuns--they led very sheltered lives because they were expected to marry well and settle into a life of playing bridge and attending socials. For a good glimpse of this life, watch the movie "A Summer Place." The hero and heroine are a part of Laura's class, and when they fall into temptation and have sex and she gets pregnant, they get married to avoid the scandal.

I'm not saying that under no circumstances would Laura do this. Obviously the writers came up with some way of making her do it. I'm just saying that it doesn't ring true to Laura's character. The repercussions would have been too immense. Her family probably would have disowned her and Pan Am certainly would have fired her.
    For an alternative view, read The Group by Mary McCarthy and The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe. They weren't as sheltered as everyone is led to believe. They were just good at giving the illusion of propriety. And, yes, a lot got married to avoid the scandal but a lot had illegal abortions, too. Remember, it was wealthy women who had the resources to fight for the legalization of birth control and abortions.

wow..interesting episode tonight it really brought to the forefront on just how hateful people can be but it also showed how symphathic and giving people can be
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't think she would have just torn off her top but I can see the photographer suggesting it and Laura, after some deliberating and assurances the photos would be kept safe, going for it.
    That is true: Laura could have thought that the photographer could be trusted. Vanessa Williams also must have thought that her photos would be safe. I read that she thought the photos were private and had been destroyed.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-13-2011 at 11:30 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JulieAnn View Post
    For an alternative view, read The Group by Mary McCarthy and The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe. They weren't as sheltered as everyone is led to believe. They were just good at giving the illusion of propriety. And, yes, a lot got married to avoid the scandal but a lot had illegal abortions, too. Remember, it was wealthy women who had the resources to fight for the legalization of birth control and abortions.
    These sound like good books! Also, I've seen talk shows which just focused on the subject of parents, in the past, forcing their pregnant teen daughters to give up their babies for adoption. I don't know how common this was. Who knows what was going on behind closed doors. Who really knows if the typical Pan Am stewardess was prim and proper.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    These sound like good books! Also, I've seen talk shows which just focused on the subject of parents, in the past, forcing their pregnant teen daughters to give up their babies for adoption. I don't know how common this was. Who knows what was going on behind closed doors. Who really knows if the typical Pan Am stewardess was prim and proper.
    I think we are also misled into believing that no one was having a "bit of fun" by Production Code Hollywood. How Lucy Ricardo was able to get pregnant when she and Ricki had twin beds was something I contemplated as a teenager until I learned about the Production Code that basically said that even married couple were chaste.

Something else to consider...we talk about Laura being from a certain social set that wouldn't do anything improper, yet Kate had no qualms about having a "bit of fun" with Nico on their first date (not that I blame her on that one!).

FORT Fogey
    The episode seemed melodramatic... but, it is an adventure TV show. I knew they'd end up dumping the suitcases. I liked the kiss at the end. The scenes where they were driving in the jeep looked as if they were filmed on a sound stage. The jet was John Travolta's private jet.

The show will be on haitus for 3 weeks before returning in December. What a bummer for sure. As usual there is a nice hook in the promo. If anyone can make out who the characters in the scene are I would be greatful. Putting it into spoiler tags just in case

Click to see Spoiler:
    There is a make-out scene which seems to involve Kate. Could it be Nico again ?

Anyone wants to guess ?
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

+ Reply to Thread