+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

Re: Pan AM

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    The actor who played Joe has not filmed any more episodes. He may come back in future but it depends if the writers/powers that be want him to (as per imdb and the actor's twitter). I'm thinking we will never see Joe again as he fulfilled the "very special episode of Pan Am wherein we see the racism of the 60s" function and that's now over. That's me being sarcastic about it but I do suspect they will just drop him and we will never hear about him again.
    That's what I thought! "Here's their token 'it wasn't always that glamorous' episode." (The second epi, where Maggie was attacked by the drunken passenger, was the token feminist epi.)

I think it would also be hard to sustain a storyline with him. I mean, you can do something with him meeting the family and the parents having their attitudes changed. (Wasn't there a famous movie in the 60's about this?) What about society, though? Even Northerners could be very racist, as we saw. So any relationship between Laura and Joe would be one long struggle against prejuidice. How long could you hold viewers' interest with that?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's what I thought! "Here's their token 'it wasn't always that glamorous' episode." (The second epi, where Maggie was attacked by the drunken passenger, was the token feminist epi.)

I think it would also be hard to sustain a storyline with him. I mean, you can do something with him meeting the family and the parents having their attitudes changed. (Wasn't there a famous movie in the 60's about this?) What about society, though? Even Northerners could be very racist, as we saw. So any relationship between Laura and Joe would be one long struggle against prejuidice. How long could you hold viewers' interest with that?
    Though an extremely important part of American history I would venture to say not too long. Personally I much prefer seeing the sparring between Laura and Ted than a all out makeout session of Laura and Joe but thats just 1 viewers opinion. But I am glad they took the storyline there (the racial bit) and hope that every couple of episodes they deal with some issue which is part of history.
    Other issues could be pre-martital sex which was huge though none of the Pan Am crew seem to have any sort of qualms about something that was not taken for granted in the 60s. I really thought that Laura would be the one with that storyline at some point but they seem to have cut that. The rest of the girls don't qualify at all .
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

Quote Originally Posted by nd4reality View Post
    Though an extremely important part of American history I would venture to say not too long. Personally I much prefer seeing the sparring between Laura and Ted than a all out makeout session of Laura and Joe but thats just 1 viewers opinion.
    Same here! In preparation for this Sunday's epi (see spoilers above), I went back and watched "We'll Always Have Paris." That opening scene where Collette gets Dean to let her drive his convertible is one of my favorite in the series so far. The banter just crackled between them. And that whole epi where Ted redeemed Laura's ring had such great dialogue between them.

But what can I say? I'd rather watch "Pride and Prejudice" then most trashy rom coms that Hollywood puts out today.

But I am glad they took the storyline there (the racial bit) and hope that every couple of episodes they deal with some issue which is part of history.
    That's why I didn't mind that epi where Maggie chided Ted for not putting said drunk passenger in his place. It wasn't always glamorous, so it's good to be reminded of that from time to time.

On ABC's website, in the comments for one episode, one woman wrote that she was a Pan Am stewardess. She said that the pilots were notorious for flirting with the stewardesses, and she and her co-workers were warned about that. I guess, then, that this is another way the show is being historically accurate.

Other issues could be pre-martital sex which was huge though none of the Pan Am crew seem to have any sort of qualms about something that was not taken for granted in the 60s. I really thought that Laura would be the one with that storyline at some point but they seem to have cut that. The rest of the girls don't qualify at all .
    Again, it's a shame, because that could have been an excellent show. There's a reason that the song "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" was such a huge hit, because it was so sexually daring for the time. With her sheltered upbringing, it would have been fascinating to see Laura grapple with whether to be a "good girl" or not.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

According to the United States Census Bureau, the number of interracially married couples was 0.7% in 1970, 1.3% in 1980, 1.8% in 1990, 2.6% in 2000, and 3.9% in 2008. So, there is progress. According to one source, the most eligible and desirable African American men tend to marry non-African American women, leaving African American women who wish to marry African American men with fewer choices. That's what it is like now. Fifty years ago, I think it would have been even more likely that a white woman and a non-white man would be a couple, if the man had a prestigious career... in other words, had the ability to earn a lot of money. A sailor doesn't have earning potential! The Laura/Joe storyline was contrived. By the way, the African-American character that the white character fell in love with in 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner,' was a doctor.

I just re-watched "Truth or Dare" on Bravo and just wanted to share a few thoughts on second watching. I probably had missed the 1st few minutes while watching this episode last week but the scenes with that reporter Mike from the Village voice were cute and sadly too few. He's a cutie indeed. I wish they would have him feature in another part of the storyline where Maggie needs the press again. Sigh.
    I cried watching the last scene of the episode with Kate and Nico. It was very well acted by both and well written too. Loved the scene with the girls playing Truth or Dare. The parts with Colette and Dean with her flying the plane were cute too.
    What I really didn't like were the Laura and Joe scenes. I was fine with it last week but could barely re-watch. Not sure why but I actually changed channels a few times. Guess I couldn't bear seeing him being beaten up that way. Cruel.
    Can't wait for the next episode.

CCL

Fellow Canadian, nd4reality?
    Ashley Greene (Twilight) is going to be in 3 episodes as a debutante who is connected to Ted's backstory. Do not want.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Fellow Canadian, nd4reality?
    Ashley Greene (Twilight) is going to be in 3 episodes as a debutante who is connected to Ted's backstory. Do not want.
    Yeah.

I have no clue about Twilight stars being that I haven't watch any of the movies but I guess they want the younger twilight fans to tune in because of her. Hopefully this tactic works as I really would hate for them to cancel altogether. I just hope that the Laura/Ted storyline is not completely sidelined as they are so in the habit of doing. Blowing hot and cold with couples.
    JulieAnn likes this.

FORT Fogey

I thought that Laura admitting that she had posed nude was contrived, not logical. That's something that would likely happen to women who encounter a lot of photographers, such as women starting out as models or actresses. Laura is a college graduate, and had a fiancee. Where would she encounter photographers, other than a wedding photographer... and she didn't have a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I thought that Laura admitting that she had posed nude was contrived, not logical. That's something that would likely happen to women who encounter a lot of photographers, such as women starting out as models or actresses. Laura is a college graduate, and had a fiancee. Where would she encounter photographers, other than a wedding photographer... and she didn't have a wedding.
    Laura had appeared on a magazine cover for the Airline. It featured in one of the 1st episodes. He had taken a 'candid' shot of her for the cover. He probably saw her and picked her as his subject.
    The same photographer did a follow up story with her a couple of episodes back. I believe he also featured in the episode that was recently cut (Romance Languages ?).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by nd4reality View Post
    Laura had appeared on a magazine cover for the Airline. It featured in one of the 1st episodes. He had taken a 'candid' shot of her for the cover. He probably saw her and picked her as his subject. The same photographer did a follow up story with her a couple of episodes back. I believe he also featured in the episode that was recently cut (Romance Languages ?).
    He did a candid shot of her for the cover, then he got on a flight and tried to take more candid pictures of her. She didn't go into his studio, alone, with the intention of getting a series of actor's publicity photos, or thinking she would be posing as a model. I think having Laura admit that she posed nude, was a set-up for the casual sex she would have later in the show.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-12-2011 at 10:57 PM.

+ Reply to Thread