+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

FORT Fogey

Re: Pan AM

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That was the implication I got, too, although I would have found it more believable if it had only been a man doing the hiring. I loved the ending. At first I thought that she would waltz up to the office and have them tell her, "We decided not to fire you," so that she squealed to that exec for nothing. I like this ending better, though, because the former ending would have been too cliched. This way, if something happens to Dean, then she'll have to wrestle with her conscience over whether her choice was worth it. That look on her face at the ending says she might be regretting it, or at least feeling guilty. I had mixed feelings about Maggie in this episode. At first I was confused, too, about why she lied about her college classes. Then I realized, Duh! this was probably before the age of federal financial aid, so she had no money. That was sad. OTOH, she should have known that lying about speaking a foreign language, for a job that required it, was probably going to come back and bite her in the rear end. Why did she wait until now to learn the language? As soon as I got hired, I would have started studying. And why was she constantly subordinate? Lord have mercy, if I had lied to get a job, I would have kept a low profile and and tried to avoid getting noticed. Maybe she needs counseling because of her bad background? I mean, chasing after a customer because of a tip is not a great way to keep your job, either, so clearly she has some issues. (I did the love the part about her running after the truck, though. I think everyone has longed to do that at one point or another.) As for specifically why she was about to get fired, back in the Paris episode, she smarted off to that (admittedly) nasty lady checking her weight. The lady said she was going to file a complaint, so I wondered when we would see the result of that. I love this show for the same reason I love "Once Upon a Time": it's different. It's not yet another clone of a cop/legal/medical drama. It's also complex, well-acted, and has characters and plots you can relate to.
    Maggie could have gotten scholarships, since she's smart and poor. They decided to have her work as a waitress and send fake college transcripts to Pan Am to make the show more interesting. I found out that Michael Mosley, who plays Ted, originally read for the Dean role. He preferred playing Ted, so he asked the director if he could test for the Ted role, and play Ted. The director said yes. I read that they found a cockpit of an old jet in a junk yard in California. They then drove it to New York. All of the foreign location shots are filmed in New York City. The real Pan Am stewardesses couldn't be married, divorced, widowed or separated. Pan Am stewardesses gave cigarettes to the passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Maggie could have gotten scholarships, since she's smart and poor. They decided to have her work as a waitress and send fake college transcripts to Pan Am to make the show more interesting.
    I was thinking along those lines, but I had already been so negative I decided to not post it. I'm sorry, but I was just not enamored of Maggie's character in this epi. I fully sympathize with her desire to leave her bad life. I grew up without much money, either, so I know where she's coming from. But abusing a customer, abusing her employer's time (by reading on the job), lying to the college, lying to Pan Am, ratting out a friend so as to not have to accept the consequences of her actions--none of this makes me admire her. Instead, it just makes her seem a little seedy to me. Now that Laura knows the truth, how can she trust Maggie? Why would she want to live with her? And speaking of which, that brings up an interesting dilemma for Laura--should she tell Pan Am what she knows about Maggie? I'm glad I'm not in Laura's shoes, although that certainly adds depth to the show.

I'm so disappointed, but Maggie had been my favorite character after Kate.

I found out that Michael Mosley, who plays Ted, originally read for the Dean role. He preferred playing Ted, so he asked the director if he could test for the Ted role, and play Ted. The director said yes.
    Although my respect for Dean went up in this last epi, I still like Ted more.

I read that they found a cockpit of an old jet in a junk yard in California. They then drove it to New York. All of the foreign location shots are filmed in New York City. The real Pan Am stewardesses couldn't be married, divorced, widowed or separated. Pan Am stewardesses gave cigarettes to the passengers.

Yes, remember the Paris epi, where the guy at the restaurant (?) tells Dean that Bridget actually was married. Collette then chimes in and says it happens all the time, girls having to get married secretly because they want to keep flying. Yet another instance of are they truly liberated?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I was thinking along those lines, but I had already been so negative I decided to not post it. I'm sorry, but I was just not enamored of Maggie's character in this epi. I fully sympathize with her desire to leave her bad life. I grew up without much money, either, so I know where she's coming from. But abusing a customer, abusing her employer's time (by reading on the job), lying to the college, lying to Pan Am, ratting out a friend so as to not have to accept the consequences of her actions--none of this makes me admire her. Instead, it just makes her seem a little seedy to me. Now that Laura knows the truth, how can she trust Maggie? Why would she want to live with her? And speaking of which, that brings up an interesting dilemma for Laura--should she tell Pan Am what she knows about Maggie? I'm glad I'm not in Laura's shoes, although that certainly adds depth to the show. I'm so disappointed, but Maggie had been my favorite character after Kate. Although my respect for Dean went up in this last epi, I still like Ted more. Yes, remember the Paris epi, where the guy at the restaurant (?) tells Dean that Bridget actually was married. Collette then chimes in and says it happens all the time, girls having to get married secretly because they want to keep flying. Yet another instance of are they truly liberated?
    I did admire Maggie in the first episide: she seemed to be an independent thinker. On the most recent episode, after finding out about her unethical behavior, I no longer admire her. I don't know if any characters will be punished on this show, since it's a lighthearted show... plus, there are six main characters who likely will be on the show every week. If this was real life, I don't think Maggie would ever have been hired as a stewardess. In real life, some people follow all the rules, yet still "lose." Others break a lot of rules, and manage to "win." Maybe they chose to have an unethical character like Maggie on the show because the show needs a villain. I mainly watch the show as an escape, an adventure.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-03-2011 at 01:14 AM.

FORT Fogey

I don't really mind watching unethical characters on TV. What concerns me are those whose unethical behavior has a direct negative impact on me. Also, five new scripts have been ordered for this show. The network hasn't decided yet if they're going to pick up the show for the season.

I am unable to understand why Pan Am has such low viewer numbers . I re-watched "one coin in a fountain" and found even more little bits and pieces to like on a subsequent viewing. All the characters are just very intereting to me. There is some subtlety in the script which is enjoyable though some scenes move back and forth to explain themselves. The character Ted is just the best of the lot . I'll re-watch last weeks episode on Bravo TV (reminder to canadian viewers 8pm on saturdays).

Tried to watch Once in a lifetime and found it not only confusing but moving way too slowly and boring even . It just did not flow exactly. I believe I will not watch that again. Yet it has great viewing numbers.
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

FORT Fanatic

I tried to watch Pan Am, but honestly I can't stand the Christina Ricci character. Her eyes are bugging out of her head and it's very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by nd4reality View Post
    I am unable to understand why Pan Am has such low viewer numbers . I re-watched "one coin in a fountain" and found even more little bits and pieces to like on a subsequent viewing.
    That's why I like re-watching the episodes, too.

And I can't explain the low numbers, either, except for the late time slot. I'd far rather watch a historical show like this than most of the modern crud.

Tried to watch Once in a lifetime and found it not only confusing but moving way too slowly and boring even . It just did not flow exactly. I believe I will not watch that again. Yet it has great viewing numbers.
    Last week's episode was rather slow. I love the show but I agree with you on that. I hope it picks up tomorrow.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

I've never seen Once Upon a Time. It's supposed to be partly about a fairy tale, which I'm not interested in. More about Pan Am... they carefully researched exactly what the interior of Pan Am airplanes looked like. Not only did they get a cockpit from an airplane junkyard, they got other parts from airplane junkyards in California and Nevada, to make the interior of a cabin look authentic. Also, they used historic cars for scenes in the show. One Pan Am employee seemd to be amused when the historic cars broke down. Maybe Laura, wearing a wedding dress, jumped into an historic car... and it stalled! I also think that if Pan Am was on earlier, the show would have much more viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovefootball25 View Post
    I tried to watch Pan Am, but honestly I can't stand the Christina Ricci character. Her eyes are bugging out of her head and it's very annoying.
    Agree. Her eyes are a bit scary in many of the scenes. But she is a good actress. And her part is different from the other girls. She somehow makes it work.
    Though thankfully Pan Am is an ensemble cast and their stories and parts are spread out over the episodes. So theres something for everyone. If you are at all interested in getting into it. I would recomend starting from episode 1. It makes it clearer why certain characters behave as they do .
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I was happy to see that TPTB ordered 5 more shows.. still feeling it out. Hope it moves up in vewership. I like this show its a fun watch, i loved that era.. too bad i was born after it ended lol
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread