+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Pan Am (ABC)

Re: Pan AM

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    When I saw the record player and typewriter on the first episode, I thought they might get into Maggie's beatnik lifestyle. Actually, I think the prop department was just showing off their props. Maggie breaks the rules, and becomes "free" by not wearing a girdle, but I don't think there will be any intense, serious discussions about what "breaking free" really means. Laura got her freedom by running away from her wedding while wearing a wedding dress. Then she becomes a flight attendant and prepares meals for hundreds of strangers, instead of a husband and children. Is she really free? Is that progress? Dean met a lady who showed up in the cockpit. The writers are doing what they think will keep viewers interested. I think that Dean with that lady is a frivolous storyline.
    Great observation! Yes, Laura (and for that matter all of the girls) may get to travel the world, but they still have to conform to a highly idealized image of femininity. And, like you say, they still have to perform traditional female tasks such as cooking and serving others. So in what sense are they truly free?

I feel like I'm back in college taking a Women's Studies class.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    It's not a political show. I'm sure they will touch on the feminist movement, along with other historical events/movements, but I don't need ideology to become the focus. With regards to Maggie and her "freedom," we will see that she gets in trouble for her actions in the episode tomorrow. I'm sure she will defend her choices and actions to the fullest. Maybe they will focus more on her beatnik lifestyle as well. With regards to Laura being free...well, she has a career now, whereas if she got married she (most likely) would not have. She has seen more of the world than she would have as a suburban housewife. Is she freer than she would have been as a wife? Maybe. She gets to run her own life at least, make her own choices, rather than have her money-making husband make the decisions (not that I think Greg would have been a dictator, he seems like a nice guy). I think she's still a bit childlike, following her sister into flight attendant school, having Ted look out for her, but she's just a fledgling so that's not altogether surprising.
    I think this show is political, with Maggie rebelling against wearing a girdle, and Laura running away from her wedding. Laura gets to be free, at least for a while, until she marries Ted.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Great observation! Yes, Laura (and for that matter all of the girls) may get to travel the world, but they still have to conform to a highly idealized image of femininity. And, like you say, they still have to perform traditional female tasks such as cooking and serving others. So in what sense are they truly free? I feel like I'm back in college taking a Women's Studies class.
    Not only were the flight attendants required to wear makeup and girdles, they were also required to wear high heels while preparing meals. In many ways, Laura's career is just a trade-off, on what her life would have been like if she had married Greg. Also, what happened to the flight attendant's ability to earn a living if they were one or two pounds overweight at a weigh-in?

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Not only were the flight attendants required to wear makeup and girdles, they were also required to wear high heels while preparing meals. In many ways, Laura's career is just a trade-off, on what her life would have been like if she had married Greg. Also, what happened to the flight attendant's ability to earn a living if they were one or two pounds overweight at a weigh-in?
    I've kind of been wondering about the money thing, also. Did Maggie get paid while she was on involuntary leave? How were Kate and Laura able to afford a place of their own on their salaries?

Today, flight attendants only get paid for the hours they actually fly. Combine that with tight restrictions by the FAA on the number of hours you can fly per month, and together it means that they don't make all that much money. The single ones usually crowd together in what's a called a "crash pad," a barely furnished apartment with 5 or 6 people in it. If things were remotely like that back in the 60's, then the lives of stewardesses wouldn't have have been that glamorous on the ground. (That probably explains why Maggie shares an apartment with other people, too.)
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

CCL

It's all relative. They might not make as much as CEOs but obviously the pay and perks are decent enough or there would be no flight attendants. If the pay was that bad it would be easier to just take a job on the ground, no?
    Kate does have a very nice apartment but her family has money and I wouldn't be surprised if her dad floated her some cash each month (I know her mom wasn't supportive but we never saw what her dad thought).
    Colette was in the episode more tonight but still not enough. Goran = .
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Colette was in the episode more tonight but still not enough. Goran = .
    ooh a spoiler. I can't wait to watch the episode tonight though the 10 pm slot is really a pain in terms of being up fresh tomorrow to start the new week. Hopefully the hot CIA guy Richard gets more than just a couple of lines.
    "I Accept You" ~~~ Kiptyn to Tenley
    ---------Best Rose Acceptance line EVER on this series

CCL

He gets a couple scenes. I don't want to post too much for people who haven't seen the episode.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

other than the pilot episode tonights was the best so far IMO...much more involved in the stories and I could tell they have someone new doing the writing and/or directoring....as far as the politics...and women's rights...I expect we will find those areas touched on as they were tonight but they won't be a main focus of the story
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

This episode was good, but the ending has left me a bit confused. My guess is that:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Maggie isn't fired, but she's now currently suspended to taking plane ticket orders for a time in exchange for the dirt on the person she mentioned. She is unhappy though because she's betrayed a friendship or something.

BTW - What exactly has Maggie done that has gotten her into this situation to begin with?

If I'm wrong, please let me know. I got to only see the last 45 mins. of it because I came back a bit late from working at a haunted house.

Maggie is insubordinate to all of those in charge and she has been written up a couple of times. I knew at some point she would be getting a pass because she kept noticing how the woman was following Dean around and she was supposed to be with the executive of Pan Am. I figured she would do something to save her career.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread