+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Prime Suspect

Re: Prime Suspect

Not horrible, but not even in the ballpark when compared to the original. It's available free On Demand, so I may watch it there.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I am glad to see some mixed reviews because that's exactly how I felt. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't love it. I agree that the misogyny was just a bit too much.

Just caught the first 2 episodes on On Demand. It was definitely realistic, but the name of the show isn't memorable to me. For some reason, people in my family refer to it as the show "where the female detective wears the hat." Now it's just becoming "Hipster Hat." But we like it anyway, has a certain realism to it like the Wire or the other one about the LA cops that moved to TNT.

I like the interaction between Maria Bello and the boyfriend's ex. Funny.

I have to admit Bello does a good job, but the way she dresses she reminds me a bit like a female Kojak. Only differences are she isn't bald, heavyweight and chews gum instead of a sucker.

I think they've softened things up a bit.
    They're also starting to show her vulnerable side.
    I never saw the series with Helen Mirren, but I am really enjoying this. I find it very realistic. And, sadly, male cops are still fairly hard on female cops. So, I do find that aspect totally true.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Ok, so I admit this show is starting to grow on me a bit. Originally, I was bored at the very idea of it. Never liked the original series, Helen Mirren or not. But this verson is beginning to peak my interest. It's ballsy, gritty, realistic, and like norealityhere mentioned, I like that they're showing a little more of the main character's vulnerable side.
    norealityhere likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Ok, so I admit this show is starting to grow on me a bit. Originally, I was bored at the very idea of it. Never liked the original series, Helen Mirren or not. But this verson is beginning to peak my interest. It's ballsy, gritty, realistic, and like norealityhere mentioned, I like that they're showing a little more of the main character's vulnerable side.
    Well I'm glad to hear that someone else has this opinion . The original series bored me silly, but I'm quite enjoying this one.

And for those who think that the misogyny is over the top, I can't claim to know what goes on in your average precinct, but I have encountered some ridiculous misogyny in the world of finance. I recently recall hearing the former President of the Toronto Stock Exchange/recently retired COO of the Royal Bank of Canada referred to as "some chick". And that really wasn't an unusual reference.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I love it too! And totally agree - unfortunately the male chauvinism is still rampant in police forces. I don't think it's far off from the truth. Notice how the one female robbery detective flirts and is ogled. But Maria Bello's character wants to be treated as an equal and the men can't handle that.

I'm stunned at all the drinking that takes place on the job though. That doesn't fly in FL! Wonder if that still really goes on in NY?

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Notice how the one female robbery detective flirts and is ogled. But Maria Bello's character wants to be treated as an equal and the men can't handle that.
    Yes, good point. I noticed that too.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I think, sadly, there's still a he*l of a lot of misogyny on the police force and it's not confined to the staff.
    I went to the police dept. twice as I'd been a victim of identity theft - I live in a very large urban metropolitan area - and was treated very similarly to the way Maria Bello is treated on the show. The policeman treated me like I had no right to bother the police with such a mundane matter.
    I actually registered complaints, as a result.
    Got back several letters from the police dept. that they were investigating, etc. and would report back to me.
    Finally received their "resolution" letter. They found their police totally blameless. Why was I not surprised!!
    Last edited by norealityhere; 10-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast