+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 2011 Emmy Awards

Re: 2011 Emmy Awards

I find it odd that Julian Fellowes is now both an Oscar and Emmy winning writer. To me, he's Kilwillie from Monarch of the Glen!

Unless I missed something, I think we just have the big comedy, drama and miniseries awards.

Don Cheedle Best Miniseries goes to (fingers crossed for Downton Abbey)...... I can't believe it won!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Drama Series (won't be GOT, but should be) is up now. The winner is....... Mad Men again. I love the show, but I really wanted GOT to win it this year.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm wondering how much time this week's The Soup will give to mercilessly going after Joel McHale's participation as a Emmytone.

And seriously, what was with the dress Julianne Marguilles was wearing at the beginning of the show?
    That woman needs to fire her stylist immediately. That dress was absolutely ugly and a woman with such pale white skin should never wear white like that. She looked like a ghost.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Lots of surprises tonight. Julie Bowen winning over both Betty White and Jane Lynch?!!
    I hate when they have singers during the in memoriam.. Though it was respectful, I still think it detracts.
    Sad at seeing how many we lost this past year.
    I loved Kyle Chandler and Friday Night Lights, but I so wanted Jon Hamm to finally win!!
    He's created one of the most indelible characters ever.
    I was glad to see Charlie Sheen. I enjoyed the humble pie speech he gave. I just wish he hadn't imploded like he did. I loved him on that show.

One of my least favorite Emmy Awards shows ever! I thought the writing was just totally off and it moved really slow, and the music / band were horrid.
    Mark Burnett needs to stay away from doing these shows!! I had a feeling it was his work and then I saw the credits!!
    Last edited by norealityhere; 09-19-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Sigh. I thought it was kind of boring, a little too sing-songy.

eta:
    Drama Series (won't be GOT, but should be) is up now. The winner is....... Mad Men again. I love the show, but I really wanted GOT to win it this year.
    I thought Mad Men hadn't aired since 2009. Did it air earlier this year perhaps?
    Last edited by Amy Lee; 09-19-2011 at 01:12 AM.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Mad Men was nominated based on it's last season.

FORT Fogey

I always look forward to the In Memoriam segment. Well, maybe I don't exactly look forward to it, but I do appreciate that they take the time to honor some of those who've been lost who contributed significantly both behind and in front of the cameras. I also remember that awful Oscar broadcast when they cut to the audience instead of letting us see the shots of those being honored, and it made me angry.
    And how awful it was in 2001, when the loss of a number of people, including David Angell, who'd been on those doomed flights were included so soon after the tragedy.

Have to say, though, that overall, I always like the Tonys best, because I appreciate hearing the featured songs from the musicals, usually sung by the actual Broadway casts instead of whoever happens to be available (which happens too often at the Oscars)--and I miss those years when they used to do scenes from the nominated plays too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    That woman needs to fire her stylist immediately. That dress was absolutely ugly and a woman with such pale white skin should never wear white like that. She looked like a ghost.
    I kept thinking it looked like something from a PR challenge where they had to use what they could find in their rooms. I swear the bodice looked like a ribbed placement decorated with crystals from a chandelier. It was just odd. She's capable of looking much better--and has.

But on the bright side, at least it gave me something to gape at, since most of the other dresses were just pretty much dull. Didn't like Gwenneth Paltrow's dress much either. When you're doing that sort of black lace over nude look, you have to be more careful of where the pattern is landing--looked too much like it was pointing at what Oprah would refer to as her va-jay-jay.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I tuned in a bit late, but when I saw her dress all I could think was hideous!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I think that Julianna's dress was one of those that was either going to be a huge win, or a big failure ... and it failed. The idea of it was really cool, and I liked the attempt to take materials not usually used for an evening gown, and try to make them beatiful. But the fit of it was just stiff and odd. The bodice fit her in such a way it reminded me of the plastic clothing that snaps on plastic dolls for toddlers who are too small to "dress" a Barbie doll. If I were trying to be a fashion critic, I would say the dress wore her instead of her wearing the dress.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast