+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Secret Circle - CW

The Secret Circle - CW

Premieres tonights after The Vampire Diaries on the CW at 9pm EDT.

'The Secret Circle' review: Too hard to believe

It may seem ridiculous to complain that "The Secret Circle," Kevin Williamson's new teen-witch show on the CW, isn't very believable, especially considering that Williamson is also the creator of the network's enduringly addictive "The Vampire Diaries."

But there are moments in "The Secret Circle," premiering at 9 tonight, when you're likely to fall into mini fits of giggling at the show's implausibility.

In addition to the vampire thing, Williamson was also the guy behind the soapy teen drama "Dawson's Creek," which may explain at least part of the genesis for "Circle." Basically, what he's done is to take the hormone-fueled teenage angst of "Creek" and pump it into a story about a secret circle of young witches and warlocks in the improbably named town of Chance Harbor, Wash.

The formula still works fine for "Diaries," which, not coincidentally, launches its new season just before the premiere of "Circle," but it doesn't quite work here. Is it just because, with film and TV awash with vampires, we find it easier to suspend disbelief in long-toothed blood suckers than we do in a bunch of high schoolers who can make drops of water hover in mid-air, cars erupt in flames and thunderstorms descend out of nowhere?

Nope. It isn't.

It's about believable plot, depth of writing and knowing enough to stay away from overused "types" instead of credible characters.

The premise of the show is that pretty blond Cassie (Britt Robertson) loses her mom in a witch-sparked fire and repairs to Chance Harbor to live with her grandmother. On her first day at a new school, she encounters, in short order, the Mean Girl, Faye Chamberlain (Phoebe Tonkin); the Good Girl, Diana (Shelley Hennig); the Cute Boy Who's In Love With the Good Girl but Who's Hot to Lock Lips With Cassie, Adam (Thomas Dekker); the Mean Girl's Somewhat Less Mean Sidekick, Melissa (Jessica Parker Kennedy); and the Cute But Nerdy Other Guy, Nick (Louis Hunter). Among the grown-ups, Natasha Henstridge plays the school principal and Gale Harold is a witch dad.

Turns out that all of these kids are basically the Campfire Girls and Cub Scouts of a now-broken secret circle of grown-up witches, half of whom died in some mysterious way years before, leaving all the kids to be raised in single-witch households. By the way, for some odd reason, the sons of witches (I just wanted to write that, sorry) are not called warlocks here.

As in so many films and TV shows in this genre, the supernatural stuff is somewhat secondary to impossibly attractive teenagers in love and lust. That alone doesn't mean it has to be bad - witness MTV's "Teen Wolf," which found the prettiest teenagers in Hollywood and gave them a compelling story, credible plot twists and adequate dialogue to speak.

None of this is likely to matter to anyone over 17, because "Circle" is aimed at a teenage audience. At least, I hope it is, because if the CW thinks the show will be a hit with adults, the network must be run by chimps.

E-mail David Wiegand at dwiegand@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: 'The Secret Circle' review: Too hard to believe
    I will give this show a chance because the first 6 episodes of The Vampire Diaries sucked and now the show is a must see. I hope I can say the same for The Secret Circle.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-15-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: The Secret Circle - CW

I missed it..had it on my list to watch and I forgot it..hopefully it will be on video on demand this week ..was it any good?
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

You haven't missed it yet Butterfly....it starts tonight
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

It repeats this Friday night.

I watched this last night..its interesting..but the next several episodes will tell the tale as to whether it would be worth watching or not see what they do with character and storyline development
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I watched this last night..its interesting..but the next several episodes will tell the tale as to whether it would be worth watching or not see what they do with character and storyline development
    I agree with this. In my mind it was slightly better than the Ringer premiere, but I'm undecided if I will watch the entire season. The next few episodes will make that choice for me.

I attempted to watch Ringer about twice and during it's premiere and it just fell flat.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Definitely a wait and see for this one. I loved Thomas Dekker in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, so I'm hoping it'll get better....

Good point, Bearcata, about the Vampire Diaries being kind of slow in the beginning - I forgot all about that and it's become one of our must-see shows of the week!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Just watched episode 1. My interest is peaked. Although the Adam character seems to fall rather flat, am not feeling the chemistry.

Wonder what Cassie will do if she ever finds out that Charles, Diana's dad killed her mother and that the principal also knew about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast