+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: New TV shows for Fall 2011/Spring 2012

Re: (Soon to be) Cancelled Shows

I'm going to go with Charlie's Angels. I didn't watch, but it just seems like it would be horrible & it doesn't have a good buzz to it.

I'd also say Hart of Dixie. I can't get behind the chick from the OC as a Doctor.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Re: New TV shows for Fall 2011

I liked New Girl but Zooey could stand to take it down just a notch. And it probably didn't help that I'm not a particularly big fan of dirty dancing.

I agree with the person who said the acting was weak in Playboy Club. I'm going to give it a whirl again tonight but I find most all the females in the show to be kind of flat acting wise. The men are a little more dynamic to me but really it's a show based on dynamic girls flashing some T and A without that it kind of looses the premise a bit.

I'm looking forward to Grimm and Once Upon a Time too.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I really liked Unforgettable with Poppy Montgomery (from Without a Trace). But because I like it, it will probably get canceled. That's how it usually works with shows I like

Does anyone know when Grimm will start?

CCL

I believe Grimm starts mid-October.
    cablejockey likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    I really liked Unforgettable with Poppy Montgomery (from Without a Trace). But because I like it, it will probably get canceled. That's how it usually works with shows I like
    I liked that one too ! I wasn't expecting much because of the reviews, but I enjoyed it. Crime shows are usually my favorites, but this one looks like it will have a lot of focus on the character's personal stories as well. I thought the scenes of her with her mother in the nursing home were really sweet...and how ironic that the girl who forgets nothing (except her sister's murder) has a mother who doesn't remember her?
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I liked that one too ! I wasn't expecting much because of the reviews, but I enjoyed it. Crime shows are usually my favorites, but this one looks like it will have a lot of focus on the character's personal stories as well. I thought the scenes of her with her mother in the nursing home were really sweet...and how ironic that the girl who forgets nothing (except her sister's murder) has a mother who doesn't remember her?
    See, I was actually very disappointed in this show. I love Poppy and was super excited for this show. I watched it last week and felt like it didn't hold my attention much at all. I'm going to try it again tonight and if I don't like it I'm done watching it.

2 Broke Girls was semi-funny and the jokes are kind of dirty. I feel like the plot line might get old pretty quickly though.
    Wake up and be awesome

Just a quick take here-----was very impressed by "Person of Interest" and will definitely keep watching. "Unforgettable" was another one that was better than I anticipated. I ended up channel surfing into "Prime Suspect" and really liking most of it, but I thought the "good ole boys club" was a bit over the top. The one that I thought I'd like, "Hart of Dixie" was awful (IMHO!) I didn't last past the introduction to the belle in the lemon yellow dress. It felt like every character was just a stereotype. So-----that the Jazzie take on the new stuff, still in love with:NCIS (though getting tired of the super-spy arcs) NCIS:LA (go Hettie!) and of course, Warehouse 13, Dr. Who, and Haven!!! :-)
    "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."
    Joseph Brodsky: (1940-1996) Russian-US poet

I read banned books.
    Just Jazzie

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I liked New Girl but Zooey could stand to take it down just a notch. And it probably didn't help that I'm not a particularly big fan of dirty dancing.

I agree with the person who said the acting was weak in Playboy Club. I'm going to give it a whirl again tonight but I find most all the females in the show to be kind of flat acting wise. The men are a little more dynamic to me but really it's a show based on dynamic girls flashing some T and A without that it kind of looses the premise a bit.

I'm looking forward to Grimm and Once Upon a Time too.
    finally caught up on Playboy Club the girls are kinda weak but my main problem is that I can't get caught up in the fantasy of the time like with Pan Am Gloria Steinham's expose on what really went on at the playboy clubs and how the girls were really treated how tight the costumes were and the very very little pay the really recived its like I am watching a big lie
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    finally caught up on Playboy Club the girls are kinda weak but my main problem is that I can't get caught up in the fantasy of the time like with Pan Am Gloria Steinham's expose on what really went on at the playboy clubs and how the girls were really treated how tight the costumes were and the very very little pay the really recived its like I am watching a big lie
    While I'm not a huge fan of the Playboy Club (the real McCoy), I'd say you may want to do a tad more research on the actual clubs - and a documentary featuring interviews from other Bunnies (No issues with nudity or the like -the two are honestly night and day) - and maybe watch it again. Steinham is one of the stronger feminists out there and she has been known to exaggerate things for self image in the past. The fact that she intentionally got the job so she could write an article to go and flat out attack it turns me off on her (and I'm someone who believes in equality in issues that women do have the capability to be equal, strength we'll always be a bit weaker).

And, she didn't even really speak out on the show itself until it looked like it'd be a decent success for NBC, so that's another red flag. Shows like this are touted in variety/entertainment industry magazines all the time, so it did strike me as odd that she hadn't said anything until comments about the show came out on TV and other areas. (The fact that the outfits were tight... um, it's been clear for many years that they were corsets in three cup sizes and they sewed them for the waitress when she was hired).

It's also hard to take her seriously given she is only protesting this portrayal of women. "Pan AM" also features unfair issues with women from back in the day - being blamed for husband's infidelities, the girdles, etc. It's also very sexist as well, and for example the pilot is a bit sleezy toward Ricci's character.

Note, even I have trouble with the show, and feel it probably won't do well given it's up against a very popular (and definitely better acted) "Castle." It probably will not last longer than a season for that reason. That said, I just feel that Steinham's expose needs to be taken with a grain of salt.
    JulieAnn likes this.

+ Reply to Thread