+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: New TV shows for Fall 2011/Spring 2012

Re: New TV shows for Fall 2011

Okay, so most of the shows have premiered already and the rest will start this coming week. Any bets on the first show to be canceled?

Of the ones I've seen, my money's on the new Hank Azaria sitcom. I like him and his co-star, but the show was just sort of "meh." I don't think Charlie's Angels will be around much longer either.

I heard The Playboy Club was a stinker too, but I haven't seen it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I found Playboy club to move really slow. I'll give it another chance but it's not a story line I'm really interested in and the main female characters aren't that likable to me.

CCL

I didn't intend on watching Playboy Club but I did catch a few minutes and it was quite boring. Of the new shows this season that I've seen the only one I like is 2 Broke Girls so they will probably cancel that one. Ringer I'm still meh on. I am watching it with two other people, though, or else i would probably dump it. I watched one episode of New Girl and that was enough -Zooey Deschanel is too obviously quirky for me. Persons of Interest was ok but I don't know that I would watch it on a regular basis. I caught the first ten minutes of Prime Suspect and did not care for it.
    I have Charlie's Angels and Pan Am on tape so will have to see if they are worth watching.
    I'm still interested in Grimm and Once Upon a Time but they do not premiere until some time in October.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I tried to watch Up All Night. I found one of the first jokes preposterous. If you are exhausted from caring from an infant, why would you have the time and energy to pull pranks on your neighbors?

The Playboy Club seemed to have actors that are too weak. I may give it another shot.

I will recommend a new series on Showtime. It's called Homeland and the first episode is GREAT! Here's a link for a trailer. The trailer is very much representative of the show. It's about a POW who returns home to celebration and a CIA agent who believes he has been turned into a terrorist. It's full of stars, including Clair Danes. High quality program IMO.

HOMELAND: New SHOWTIME series - YouTube

I watched it ON Demand, but the first episode is supposed to air next Sunday night after Dexter.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I found this calendar at TV Guide's site: Fall Schedule Calendar
    Thanks for that calendar link, it was really a much better visual for getting an idea for how these premieres lay out! I was a little concerned to see that NBC is moving Chuck to Fridays. That is usually where NBC puts shows before they phase them right out of the lineup.

I'm with you CCL - I really liked 2 Broke Girls too I laughed lot's more than I was expecting to - I hope it sticks around! Pam Am didn't hold my interest at all - I switched over to "Dirty Soap" about 15 minutes in. With all the promotion it's getting though, and Christina Ricci - good or blah I don't see it going anywhere anytime too soon. Critical, I think from what I've heard you're right about the Hank Azaria sitcom, but I'd like to see the new Charlie's Angel's stick around for a minute or two to see if finds an audience. Yes, the acting was bad...but the scenery was beautiful, Bosley was beautiful and the action scenes were entertaining. It's certainly no brain twister, but it was an escapist way to spend an hour. If they can manage to keep the stories interesting, I'll over look the bad acting and just enjoy the fluff of fashion, Florida, eye candy and action
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Okay, so most of the shows have premiered already and the rest will start this coming week. Any bets on the first show to be canceled?

Of the ones I've seen, my money's on the new Hank Azaria sitcom. I like him and his co-star, but the show was just sort of "meh." I don't think Charlie's Angels will be around much longer either.

I heard The Playboy Club was a stinker too, but I haven't seen it.
    "Charlie's Angels" will have to amp it up with stronger acting or it'll be gone. It's not horrid, but they're giving it the same issues that "No Ordinary Family" had that lead to its cancelation, particularly a weaker storyline. Oh, and probably the strongest actress to play an Angel they kill off. I do think this will bomb if the changes don't occur.

I like "Revenge," but again they'll have to make sure it stays fresh or it'll be gone.

I personally liked "The Playboy Club" but I think it was slow because it was the debut. The actress who played the Black Suit Bunny now Bunny Mom is a little too bitchy for the real McCoy, but she wasn't overkill there. (From watching a documentary on the group, the Bunny Moms tended to be a bit kinder but they were strict on dress sense - meaning the blonde-haired new Bunny probably would've been fired after night one). I also liked the young African American woman who likes being called a Chocolate Bunny - to a point, but stays real enough to say that even if that were said in a negative light it was better than the world outside the house and club.

I do like both "Pan AM" and "The Playboy Club" too though because they did pay attention overall to what women wore back then and didn't take liberties... well save probably Christina Ricci's black bra we see when she's changing in the taxi.

And I adore "The New Girl" if only because I can relate to Zooey Deschanel. He is a little over the top but not too bad considering.

I haven't seen a lot of the other shows to give my two cents on them. The others I have comments on are older shows so I will abstain there.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Thanks for that calendar link, it was really a much better visual for getting an idea for how these premieres lay out! I was a little concerned to see that NBC is moving Chuck to Fridays. That is usually where NBC puts shows before they phase them right out of the lineup.
    They have already announced that this will be the last season for Chuck, ClosetRTWatcher.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fanatic

(Soon to be) Cancelled Shows

Based on premise I think Up All Night should be cancelled, but that's probably because I don't like children.

What does everyone think will be the first new show cancelled? Any shows that are begging to be cancelled? I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

Re: (Soon to be) Cancelled Shows

Based on ones I've seen at their pilot setting, and if they continue on that level of acting (as in fairness pilots are not necessarily the strongest acting on the parts of the actors, as they don't want to always give it their all in case it's not sold):

First ones will possibly be The Playboy Club or Charlie's Angels.

I felt out of the four I got to see, these two had the weakest overall acting and average scripts. Pan AM had somewhat decent character development and is a lighthearted romp overall (which we need more of instead of drama) and "Revenge" plays straightforward but doesn't seem such on a second watch.

New Girl - which I do like, could get the axe if only because some people just don't like Zooey Deschanel.

+ Reply to Thread