+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Alphas

Alphas

Alphas is a new sci fi series on the SyFy network. It just aired it's 90 minute pilot and it was fabulous. The SyFy network is not known for the quality of it's own shows and at this point only had one gem and that was Eureka. I am sure fans of Warehouse 13 and Haven will dispute this. Still Alphas is outstanding. The concept is very fresh and very understandable even to the non sci fi tv viewers. I am totally psyched to see more.

some FYI:

'Alphas' Will Join Syfy's Summer Line-up | Airlock Alpha

'Alphas' Will Join Syfy's Summer Line-up

Summer is just around the corner. And for Syfy that means more "Eureka" and "Warehouse 13."

And, joining the light-hearted shows this year will be the second season of "Haven" and the cabler's latest series, "Alphas."

The series revolved around a group of ordinary citizens who develop bizarre and unusual abilities, leading them to follow in the footsteps of comic book greats by setting out to fight crime. In addition to run-of-the-mill street crime, the group of Alpha's will also investigate cases that the CIA, FBI and Pentagon have been more than happy to leave unsolved.

"Alphas" initially started off as "Section 8" which was turned down by NBC in 2007 when the network was already committed to "Heroes" for the fall season. The series was eventually given life at ABC for a six episode pilot season with expectations of pairing it with "Lost," a move that would certainly have pushed the series to greatness.

Then of course disaster struck. The Writers Guild of America downed tools and headed to the picket lines leaving "Alphas" in limbo. Like many other shows, the series never recovered from the strike although not from a lack of enthusiasm from the Disney-owned ABC network. Instead, it was creative differences that brought the series production to a halt before the first episode was even scripted.

Syfy recently announced its summer schedule, confirming that "Alphas" would be making its debut in July and outlining a host of new shows currently in development. Both Kevin Sorbo and Lee Majors -- both sci-fi/fantasy icons in the realms of "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" and "Six Million Dollar Man" -- will pick up their own shows, both playing fictionalized versions of themselves

In addition, Syfy has revealed plans for more unscripted projects including "The Haunted Collector," "Legend Quest" and "Paranormal Witness."

The channel also confirmed that plans are in place to broadcast special Christmas-themed episodes of "Eureka," Warehouse 13" and "Haven" around the festive season.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Alphas

I really enjoyed it as well. One thing I enjoyed was the interactions and such seemed realistic. It comes across as less scripted than most "reality" shows.

OK, based on Bearcata's recommendation, I'm going to go see if it's on FIOS :-) (Soccer doesn't start until 2 ;-))

I liked it, too. The pilot drew my interest and I'm eager to see how it develops. Hope it doesn't go the Heroes route because it shows a lot of promise.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I finally caught it and I really really enjoyed it! I thought it was well done for a pilot/series premier and shows a lot of promise. I'm curious to see how it evolves.

July 18, 2011 - 2nd episode

Well the second episode held up. I liked how they showed Doctor Rosen as an older male still has some game, nice touch. Liked the plot of the story, the conspiracy, the possible genocide of all the Alphas. Do I think Marcus is dead? No, I don't. For some reason he reminded me of the Sylar character in Heroes.

Bearcata thanks for starting this thread. I'd heard of this show but had no clue what it was about...but it sounds really interesting! Does anyone know if it is available online as I've missed the first couple of episodes?
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Bearcata thanks for starting this thread. I'd heard of this show but had no clue what it was about...but it sounds really interesting! Does anyone know if it is available online as I've missed the first couple of episodes?
    Check the TVGuide.com tv listings for this show. SyFy does multiple showings during the week. Also check SyFy.com as they do show the episodes online, usually a week after they have aired.

If you have Cox On Demand, both episodes are already available there.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

It's also available on Verizon FIOS (which is how I watched last week's episode).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast