Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Alphas

Re: Alphas

A review of the pilot.

Variety Reviews - Alphas - TV Reviews - - Review by Brian Lowry

Alphas
    (Series -- Syfy, Mon. July 11, 10 p.m.)
    By Brian Lowry

Filmed in Toronto by BermanBraun Television and Universal Cable Prods. Executive producers, Zak Penn, Ira Steven Behr, Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun, Gene Stein, Jack Bender; co-executive producer, Robert Wolf; supervising producer, Michael Karnow; producers, Julie Sieg, Nick Copus; line producer, Kevin Lafferty; director, Bender; writers, Penn, Karnow;
    Dr. Lee Rosen - David Strathairn
    Bill Harken - Malik Yoba
    Cameron Hicks - Warren Christie
    Rachel Pirzad - Azita Ghanizada
    Gary Bell - Ryan Cartwright
    Nina Theroux - Laura Mennell
    Bands of gifted individuals are hardly a screen novelty, from "X-Men" to "Heroes." Yet writers Zak Penn and Michael Karnow bring a few fresh wrinkles to "Alphas," largely by making this latest elite team extraordinary, but also quite vulnerable. "All Alpha skills come with a down side," explains David Strathairn -- whose own gifts as an actor are surely welcome here -- as the neurophysiologist charged with wrangling them, in what could easily become a low-octane hit for Syfy almost as a counterweight to more ostentatious, high-powered heroes.

The 90-minute pilot briskly goes about introducing the unit Strathairn's Dr. Lee Rosen has assembled under the cranky stewardship of his FBI contact ("Battlestar Galactica's" Callum Keith Rennie). They include a woman who can bend people's wills (Laura Mennell); a cop who possesses enormous strength, but only in fleeting bursts of adrenaline (Malik Yoba); a high-functioning autistic who can visually perceive electromagnetic waves (Ryan Cartwright); and a young woman who can temporarily enhance one of her senses, at the expense of the others (Azita Ghanizada).

Clearly, it's not a group built for action, as Yoba's cop complains to Rosen. Marshaled properly, though, their combined talents can be formidable, as they pursue a shadowy figure who is commandeering the minds of innocent folk -- including another Alpha (Warren Christie) -- to perpetrate killings for him.

At first, "Alphas" feels like there won't be enough excitement or action to sustain the pilot, much less inspire an ongoing episodic relationship. After all, where's the fun in watching "powers" whose portrayal require nothing more than eerie music, sound effects or harsh camera angles?

Those very limitations, however, are what make the team intriguing, along with the twists the writers and "Lost" director Jack Bender produce to keep the audience off-balance, even about the specific nature of their do-gooder enterprise. The mystery is also abetted by Strathairn's hard-to-read scientist, who manages to be professorial and squirrelly all at once.

Penn certainly ought to know the super-group drill, having worked on not only "X-Men: The Last Stand" but the upcoming "The Avengers." The real trick will be in coming up with interesting cases for the "Alphas" to tackle while teasing out some of the darker corners hinted at in the pilot.

At first blush, though, give "Alphas" high marks for effort and ingenuity, demonstrating a TV show needn't provide major pyrotechnics or a reinvented wheel to lay the groundwork for solid summer entertainment where the characters, somewhat refreshingly, are only sort-of super.
    camera, David Perrault; production designer, Ingrid Jurek; editors, Scott Boyd, Thomas Moore; music, Edward Rogers; casting, Jeanie Bacharach, Gillian O'Neill. 90 MIN.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Alphas: The New Dynamic Duo - News - TV.com

We're just over halfway through the first season of Alphas, and what lies ahead is still taking shape. When the series was announced, we all thought it would be a procedural with super-powered cops. But the first four episodes introduced us to a show with a more serialized nature, with each episode teasing an overall arc. Last week we were hit with the series' first standalone episode and a heavy focus on one character (Rachel). Last night, we got another standalone episode that showcased two characters; it was also the first episode in which there was no bad Alpha in sight.

Usually this would spell doom for a series that's trying to build an audience, but Alphas has built a solid core around its fun tone and enjoyable characters, and as long as that's clicking, the show can do whatever it wants and I'll still watch. "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure" maintained the light humor and witty banter that's made a fan out of me, and it also brought my favorite duo (Bill and Gary) to the forefront as they hunted down a kidnapper behind the team's back.

Even without a bad Alpha and no mention of the overall mythology that was teased early on, "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure" was indeed excellent, largely because of the performances of Malik Yoba (Bill) and Ryan Cartwright (Gary), as well as the two characters' relationship. Bill is the most professional member of the group, a former FBI agent who thinks he knows the job better than everyone else. Gary is the lost toddler of the group, always requiring supervision and patience, patience, patience. Together they clash spectacularly, but there's also a big-brother-little-brother relationship aspect to soften things up, and Yoba and Cartwright capture it perfectly. Bill has great admiration for Gary's ability, and Gary wants to be like Bill, a badge-flashing agent who asks the questions instead of answering them. I love the two of these guys together.

But we should ask if there's room for non-Alpha crime on the show. Do we really want to see our super-powered friends take down the same, "regular" kidnappers that Mark Harmon or David Caruso could cuff? After all, the reason most of us are tuning in is that we love the idea of these guys going after people who possess the same types of abilities. But there's a reason it worked in this case, and it's because our team of Alphas are more "regular" than they are "super." The show has always done a great job of grounding them in our reality, and if they need to chase down a few normal crooks, so be it. But they should only allowed to do that once or twice a season, max. We want to see them take down the next Magneto, not some average gangbanger.

Elsewhere, the make-out session we all expected to happen happened. Hicks and Nina got down and dirty, and they deserved to because they're the two hottest people on the show. Sorry folks, that's just how it works. Hot people earn the right to get it on with other people because of their sheer hotness. The rest of us are left to sift through the scraps. Beyond that, there does seem to be a legitimate something between the two. Does Alphas have room for a romantic storyline? I guess.

There are four episodes left in Season 1, and the big question I have is: "Will Alphas go back to its serialized stories next week?" I'm guessing we have one more standalone chapter to go before we return to Red Flag. We've seen episodes focus on Rosen, Rachel, Gary, and Bill, but not on Nina and Hicks. That was obviously set up in this episode.

Notes:

... Rosen: "I'm a professional. I'll gloat in private." Oh Rosen!

... The bad guys, Alpha-d or not, are still pretty compelling. I got the heebie-jeebies watching the kidnapper unroll the tarp and ask the kidnappee to let him know if there's life after death.

... Gary's one of those people who can't eat his food unless it's separated. I don't understand those people. And I don't understand people who eat one thing at a time on their plate. Just shove it all in your face!
    Duckyface likes this.

August 22, 2011 episode.

It was great seeing Summer Glau as yet another quirky character. I think this is the most mature I have ever seen her play. Luv'd her power, I wished I could do that. I would invent a super cool car and house stuff. Really liked her metal flying bugs.

I love Gary! He is far and beyond my favourite character. Every episode he has a line (or several) that just kill me.
    FireWoman likes this.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

"It was great seeing Summer Glau as yet another quirky character. I think this is the most mature I have ever seen her play. Luv'd her power, I wished I could do that. I would invent a super cool car and house stuff. Really liked her metal flying bugs. "

Remined me just how much i loved. and miss.. Firefly. She still looks like she needs to eat a burger or two lol.
    Duckyface likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Poor Rachel, accepted by her father but now turned into a diagnosis machine for her very large expanded family.

Again great scene between Rachel and Gary.

Bill being nice, yikes that's a scary thought.

Oh, poor Dr. Rosen.

I wasn't as thrilled with the episode as I have been with past ones. There were great moments, but the storyline just didn't keep my interest. I'm wondering how long Bill's inability to amp up will last.

Sept 12, 2011

Good to see Brent Spinner guest star. He played Data on Star Trek, Next Generation. I liked how the writers showed different aspects of his sonar power. Liked the expansion of the underlying conspiracy theory. Liked how Rachel managed to free herself and knock out the villan with a laptop.

I really enjoyed the interaction among all the characters last night. It was great to see how they all played off each other. Especially Gary and Bill.

September 19, 2011

Chilling episode. Totally riveting how the DOD (Department of Defense) agents trample all over America citizen's rights by locking up all the Alphas and threatening to lock them up for life. What will it take for Dr. Rozen to realize he and his group must forge another path, not of terrorism like Red Flag, but their own.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast