+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

FORT Fanatic

Mildred Pierce on HBO

I watched the first two parts of the five part HBO special last night and I was wondering if anyone else on this board was watching the show.
    I wont talk about specifcs as I dont want to be a spoiler for those who have it taped for later viewing.
    Just to let you know I have seen the original starring Ms. Crawford in her Oscar winning performance and would like to compare the two different productions.

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by imissme View Post
    I watched the first two parts of the five part HBO special last night and I was wondering if anyone else on this board was watching the show.
    I wont talk about specifcs as I dont want to be a spoiler for those who have it taped for later viewing.
    Just to let you know I have seen the original starring Ms. Crawford in her Oscar winning performance and would like to compare the two different productions.
    I've seen the original with Joan Crawford, Eve Arden, Zachary Scott, Jack Carson (always loved him), and Ann Blythe (outstanding singer) many times over. I don't subscribe to HBO, so I probably won't see this one until it's out on DVD. I'll be delighted to compare versions at that time.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm definitely watching. I loved the old movie with Joan Crawford and Anne Blythe. I remember seeing Anne B (when I was a child) in a very fancy department store in LA. She was gorgeous but she had so much makeup on with her lipstick going way out beyond her lip line that she didn't look like a real person. She was dressed so elegantly though and undoubtably beautiful, despite all the makeup and even as a child, I knew this woman was special.

Anyway, so far I'm liking the show, where normally I dislike re-makes of most things. Kate Winslet's Mildred Pierce is more relatable and a softer version than Joan's but that could just be Joan's way. It's very good and really fills in a lot that we didn't see in the first movie.
    I've only watched Part One and am deliciously looking forward to Part Two. Not sure when the other parts are to be shown but have them programmed to record.

FORT Fogey

I just watched the first two parts last night. I really enjoyed it. I have not seen the original.

I watched Parts I and II last week and Part III last night. I'll be careful what I say.

One reason I'm interested is that a girl from my hometown of Raleigh,NC appears in it. Rachel Wood plays the older daughter when she grows up, I think. The previews make me think that is who she plays.

So far I have loved Kate Winslet. She is really incredible. What I have had issue with are the young daughters. Their dialoge seems off to me. Is it just bad acting or bad script? I dont' know, but I don't buy the kids and their interaction at all. In Part III and it hasn't improved.

Also, of concern is the character of the rich boyfriend from Malibu. His character seems to be a one dimensional caricature. He was amusing at first, but has turned into a bore.

Other than the problems above, I like it.

I think I saw the original, but can't recall for certain.

Here's a review about it. Be careful the article contains some spoilers, but they are marked.

http://moviecitynews.com/2011/04/wil...ildred-pierce/
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-04-2011 at 11:35 AM.

FORT Fanatic

I watched part three last night and it certainly is different from the original. I cant wait for the final two parts. The characters in this version are much more relatable. Not to say that I dont love the original. Frankly, as far into this version as I am, I like the original better because of Joan Crawford's over the top performance. I dont think Kate Winslet would win an Oscar for this if it had been made into a regular release movie. Ms. Crawford did win an Oscar for her performance.
    First thing you notice between the two versions is the amount of sex scenes. In the original the sex was alluded to and is this version it is shown full on. Personally I dont think it adds or detracts to the story. It does however show the difference in social morals.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I have not seen the original but caught parts 1 and 2 last week and saw part 3 last night. I, too, was surprised by the nudity and many sex scenes. Interestingly, much of the film was filmed in my hometown of Merrick, NY. It substitutes for the area of Glendale, California. There is a section of town that is called The Gables. It has many older homes from the 1930's done in the Spanish style with stucco facades and clay tiled roofs. In fact, the home which Mildred uses for her restaurant is probably one of those homes. I read an interesting article that said that when the location scout went to that particular area of California, that many of the original homes of that style and time period were no longer there. They chose my town because of the abundance of homes done in that style. So, I've been keenly interested and have kept an eye out for any thing that looks familiar, location wise.

I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes of episode one and am confused about a few things. It seems as if the Pierce family had come from some money. The eldest daughter is snooty and an entitled b***h!.. Mildred's hubby ran off to be with some other lady and is involved with real estate or home building, right? So, why was he not providing any sort of money for Mildred and her children? She practically had to wrest the car keys from him so she could have some transportation to her waitress job. I can understand money being tight and all and her having to go out and get a job, but it seems as if the dad was not supporting the family at all. Especially that he was the adulterer, it would seem that she would go after him for more money. In the scene last night where she is scrimping and saving to buy an upright piano for Vita, well, why isn't the dad chipping in? Did I miss something crucial? I'd really like to read the book as I have so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I have not seen the original but caught parts 1 and 2 last week and saw part 3 last night. I, too, was surprised by the nudity and many sex scenes. Interestingly, much of the film was filmed in my hometown of Merrick, NY. It substitutes for the area of Glendale, California. There is a section of town that is called The Gables. It has many older homes from the 1930's done in the Spanish style with stucco facades and clay tiled roofs. In fact, the home which Mildred uses for her restaurant is probably one of those homes. I read an interesting article that said that when the location scout went to that particular area of California, that many of the original homes of that style and time period were no longer there. They chose my town because of the abundance of homes done in that style. So, I've been keenly interested and have kept an eye out for any thing that looks familiar, location wise.

I missed the first 15 or 20 minutes of episode one and am confused about a few things. It seems as if the Pierce family had come from some money. The eldest daughter is snooty and an entitled b***h!.. Mildred's hubby ran off to be with some other lady and is involved with real estate or home building, right? So, why was he not providing any sort of money for Mildred and her children? She practically had to wrest the car keys from him so she could have some transportation to her waitress job. I can understand money being tight and all and her having to go out and get a job, but it seems as if the dad was not supporting the family at all. Especially that he was the adulterer, it would seem that she would go after him for more money. In the scene last night where she is scrimping and saving to buy an upright piano for Vita, well, why isn't the dad chipping in? Did I miss something crucial? I'd really like to read the book as I have so many questions.

The first 15 minutes of Part I show Mildred making pies at home that she sells to make money. They live in this nice house, but she indicates she is supporting husband. She confronts husband about the woman he is seeing and then kicks him out. Later she realizes she needs income. I have no idea why he didn't pay child support. Later he will give her the house and the car. I guess he considers that enough.

Mildred's husband's parents don't seem to chip in either. They spend time with the kids, but that's it. I did find that part of the storyline curious too.

I found the older daughter's mannerisms odd considering her family and community. An explanation of it would help, but I haven't seen one yet.

FORT Fogey

Eastcoastmom. It is the depression and her husbands business went belly up due to the ecomomy and poor quality of construction. Everyone is scrambling for money and there are few jobs available.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks debb and shoepie for the explanations. I really want to read the book, now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast