+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Thanks all for the info on chicken and waffles. I am surprised of the one listed above in Durham,NC. Durham is less than an hour's drive from where I live and grew up. I never heard of it! LOL

I don't have HBO so I didn't get to see this one but even if I could I am not so sure I would want too..I loved the original movie and I don't like it when they try to remake things like that..it just never lives up to the original IMO but I have enjoyed reading all of your comments on the mini series
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I don't have HBO so I didn't get to see this one but even if I could I am not so sure I would want too..I loved the original movie and I don't like it when they try to remake things like that..it just never lives up to the original IMO but I have enjoyed reading all of your comments on the mini series
    I let my HBO go yesterday and am now just keeping Showtime and they are giving me free Movie Channel for right now. Problem is I just realized that HBO has a new mini series with Dianne Lane and James Gallofieni (sp? from the Sopranos) It's based on a reality show from the 1970's and looks great! If the reaction is good and someone starts a post here, I may get HBO back.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I let my HBO go yesterday and am now just keeping Showtime and they are giving me free Movie Channel for right now. Problem is I just realized that HBO has a new mini series with Dianne Lane and James Gallofieni (sp? from the Sopranos) It's based on a reality show from the 1970's and looks great! If the reaction is good and someone starts a post here, I may get HBO back.
    Do you know the name of it and when it is due to air?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Do you know the name of it and when it is due to air?

The show is about the Loud Family and their PBS show which aired in the 1970's which was called "An American Family." It was actually a precursor to today's reality shows. Pat and Bill Loud had 5 children and lived in California.
    The new show that is airing on HBO stars Diane Lane as the mom and Tim Robbins as the Dad. I think Gandolfini plays the producer of the original PBS series. The new show is called "Cinema Verite."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    The show is about the Loud Family and their PBS show which aired in the 1970's which was called "An American Family." It was actually a precursor to today's reality shows. Pat and Bill Loud had 5 children and lived in California.
    The new show that is airing on HBO stars Diane Lane as the mom and Tim Robbins as the Dad. I think Gandolfini plays the producer of the original PBS series. The new show is called "Cinema Verite."
    Oh I remember the Loud Family! I was rivited! I would love to hear what they are doing today. I just looked it up. I am disappointed to find it is only 90 mins. It airs tonight and continues though many more days.
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-23-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joannefm2 View Post
    I watched (what I could tolerate, on and off) of Mildred Pierce. Most of it was really sloooooowwwwww, and boring. Kate Winslet might be a good actress, but I always look beyond the actors/actresses and watch the movie for what it is, good or bad. No comparison to the Joan Crawford version. They didn't need the sex in the original to get the story across, so I guess it was there to keep some people awake. I thought it detracted from the movie in whole. Half of the movie plot didn't make any sense; and the ending wasn't believable. I thought it was too dark (lighting wise); and definintely not worth buying if it ever comes out on dvd. Hours of my life I will never get back.
    I made it through (barely) hour 4 and refuse to watch the final hour. I was hoping that once Evan Rachel Wood took over the Veda role that things would get better. Not so much.

I find her to be somehow overacting the part. Every movement is exaggerated and her lines are yelled rather than spoken in a firm manner. Not at her best, but then again I don't believe that any of them are.

Even Kate couldn't hold my interest any longer. And why does she continue to look frumpy even after achieving success and having money? She never actually looked any better then when she stared out.

All in all this mini series was a disappointment...considering I was looking forward to it.

On to Game Of Thrones.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by megan31917 View Post
    I made it through (barely) hour 4 and refuse to watch the final hour. I was hoping that once Evan Rachel Wood took over the Veda role that things would get better. Not so much.

I find her to be somehow overacting the part. Every movement is exaggerated and her lines are yelled rather than spoken in a firm manner. Not at her best, but then again I don't believe that any of them are.

Even Kate couldn't hold my interest any longer. And why does she continue to look frumpy even after achieving success and having money? She never actually looked any better then when she stared out.

All in all this mini series was a disappointment...considering I was looking forward to it.

On to Game Of Thrones.
    I agree. I made it to the end and the last hour was actually the best but not enough for me to reccomend you watch it. There was no reason to have Veda, young or old, over act. None. It was like they were trying to mimic the style of movies made in the 40's. People in the 30's didn't act like 1940 movie characters! I was born in 1945 and my parents and their friends did not walk around being dramatic. And pictures of my mother when she was in the 30's were beautiful. She did not look dumpy ,in the least.

Guess I'm the only one who enjoyed it thoroughly.
    It held true to the book version whereas the movie version was a parody.
    In the book Mildred dresses `frumpy' thus the carry over to the mini series. Loved t and loved that it honored the book. The costuming was astonishing and the attention to period detail in all of the clothes is IMO, amazing. The camera work, the way it was shot through windows and doorways and from mirrors made me feel like Mildred, my life passing by, left on the outside looking in at my daughter, my obsession. Most of Mildred's money went to keeping Veda happy thus she skimped on her own physical appearence. She was cooking the books too, which allowed her to present a false face of prosperity, when in relaity she had no earthly business living in a mansion.
    Very chilling moment to me, when Mildred comes home climbs into bed with the young Veda and whiseprs `thank god' in reference to the younger daughters death (as in thank god it was the younger daughter and not Veda).
    Thought Evan Rachel Wood was deliciously serpitine, even her movements were slitheringly evil.

Loved the voice over work for the singing-astonighing.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I, almost, totally enjoyed this. Where they lost me was with the long periods of her singing. Too much.....who was the voice double, I wonder? I had watched the original Mildred Pierce on TCM about a week earlier. Really different, but still very enjoyable for me.

And had my daughter slapped me after I slapped her for being completely out of line........I Would Have Beat Her Down!!!! I was shocked at the zero reaction from her mother.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 04-24-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread