+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I get everything you said however there is something about consolidated foods that set her off. Veda was part of the problem in the financial fall, beyond just being gifted my Mildred. Remember Mildred headed home very quickly to make sure the shifty friend of theirs did not get to Veda first? And her ex husband said they HAD to get to Veda that night, it could not wait until morning? That plot line was interrupted by the strangling. Veda ran off and obviously hooked up with him and did what Mildred and her ex were tying to prevent. THAT is what I think consolidated foods was about. Right then it told Mildred that she did not run off and hide. She ran right to that friend and sealed some kind of deal.
    The shady friend was Wally. First, he was Mildred's husband's business partner in the failed venture "Pierce Homes." Then he helped set Mildred up in business and remained her legal/business counsel. Then, he helped get Veda a settlement from the rich boy's parents when Veda claimed she was pregnant.

Mildred's husband suspected that Wally was behind the demands of Mildred's business creditors and that he would atempt to steal Veda's bank account, as well, possibly even kidnapping her. So, they agreed to get Veda away immediately, and Mr. Pierce (can't remember his name) would meet with Wally in the morning to sort it all out.

When Mildred arrives home to get Veda and take her to safety, she finds her naked with Monte.

I think that Veda's "Consolidated Foods" remark did, indeed, make Mildred suspect that Veda was in cahoots with Wally all along. But I didn't see it as a breaking point in the mother/daughter relationship because Mildred was screaming about Veda leaving California... leaving her... and tells her to more less "go, go if that's what you really want to do but don't bother ever coming back."

In other words, despite all that Veda did, or might do in the future to hurt Mildred, her mother still was incensed at the thought of having to let her go. And the knowledge that she chose NYC and Monte over her made Mildred eventually agree with her husband: "To hell with her."

That was my take on it.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 04-15-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Thanks Poppy Fields. Oh, what is stinko. I have never heard that term before. LOL

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    The shady friend was Wally. First, he was Mildred's husband's business partner in the failed venture "Pierce Homes." Then he helped set Mildred up in business and remained her legal/business counsel. Then, he helped get Veda a settlement from the rich boy's parents when Veda claimed she was pregnant.

Mildred's husband suspected that Wally was behind the demands of Mildred's business creditors and that he would atempt to steal Veda's bank account, as well, possibly even kidnapping her. So, they agreed to get Veda away immediately, and Mr. Pierce (can't remember his name) would meet with Wally in the morning to sort it all out.

When Mildred arrives home to get Veda and take her to safety, she finds her naked with Monte.

I think that Veda's "Consolidated Foods" remark did, indeed, make Mildred suspect that Veda was in cahoots with Wally all along. But I didn't see it as a breaking point in the mother/daughter relationship because Mildred was screaming about Veda leaving California... leaving her... and tells her to more less "go, go if that's what you really want to do but don't bother ever coming back."

In other words, despite all that Veda did, or might do in the future to hurt Mildred, her mother still was incensed at the thought of having to let her go. And the knowledge that she chose NYC and Monte over her made Mildred eventually agree with her husband: "To hell with her."

That was my take on it.
    I'm still a bit puzzled by the ending. Re your comment:

I think that Veda's "Consolidated Foods" remark did, indeed, make Mildred suspect that Veda was in cahoots with Wally all along.

Veda being in cahoots with Wally in what way? My take was that Veda faked her throat damage as a way to get out of her California contract and get to go to NYC, as there were more singing opportunities for her there and Consolidated Foods was kind enough to wait for her to heal and offer her a contract once again.

In some weird way I think Veda set up the whole thing with Monte and she was not in love with him. It was a way to get back at her mother, whom she apparently despised. She knew that if Mildred saw her in bed with Monte it would be over with Monte and that would be the ultimate betrayal.

At the end when Veda says she is going to NY and is taking the contract with Consolidated Foods, it appeared to me as if a light bulb finally went off in Mildred's head and she saw Veda for the snake and b***h she really was and that somehow everything was planned all along to hurt her mother.

I didn't see Mildred as obsessed with Veda at all. I think when Moire died she became even more overprotective of her. She also, for some reason, felt she had to live beyond her means and give her daughter everything she wanted. Veda was desperate to get out of Glendale for some reason. Mildred even was ashamed to tell Veda that she took a job as a waitress b/c Veda would think that was beneath them. That's when she suddenly got the idea to open up her own chicken restaurant. Prior to that conversation with Veda she had not been thinking of that. She was just trying to get by, day by day. Where that daughter of hers got such illusions of grandeur, I'll never know. Honestly I was so exasperated with the character of Veda that I just wanted to reach into my TV screen and slap her.

Just finished this mini-series today and thanks to all the posters here who helped fill in some holes that I found in the movie. I also didn't understand the Consolidated Food part and how Mildred lost her businesses.
    Never will understand why Veeda hated her mother so much. And how there lived an evil person inside that daughter.
    Felt the series was way too slow. Ultimately, I was disappointed that as detailed it was, how long it was and I still had unanswered questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Just finished this mini-series today and thanks to all the posters here who helped fill in some holes that I found in the movie. I also didn't understand the Consolidated Food part and how Mildred lost her businesses.
    Never will understand why Veeda hated her mother so much. And how there lived an evil person inside that daughter.
    Felt the series was way too slow. Ultimately, I was disappointed that as detailed it was, how long it was and I still had unanswered questions.
    I also watched this miniseries mainly because Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses and I had read pre-show reviews about how good it was going to be.
    I too felt the series moved too slow and found myself nodding off at times. I hated the character Veda and couldn't understand the hate this demon child had for her mother. All in all it was disappointing.

Has anyone ever heard of chicken and waffles? I find that an odd combination. I grew up in a small town, but I have never seen that combo even in large cities.

FORT Newbie

I watched (what I could tolerate, on and off) of Mildred Pierce. Most of it was really sloooooowwwwww, and boring. Kate Winslet might be a good actress, but I always look beyond the actors/actresses and watch the movie for what it is, good or bad. No comparison to the Joan Crawford version. They didn't need the sex in the original to get the story across, so I guess it was there to keep some people awake. I thought it detracted from the movie in whole. Half of the movie plot didn't make any sense; and the ending wasn't believable. I thought it was too dark (lighting wise); and definintely not worth buying if it ever comes out on dvd. Hours of my life I will never get back.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of chicken and waffles? I find that an odd combination. I grew up in a small town, but I have never seen that combo even in large cities.
    I have lived in NYC and Boston amoung other places and NEVER heard of chicken and waffles until a year ago when I heard a comic on Chelsey Lately joke about Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Then, all of a sudden it is popping up in a lot of places. On Top Chef (they were asked to make a new version of a childhood classic) and Next Great Restaurant (soul food guy). It is a southern dish and I find it totally odd, as well. Apparently in the 30's it was in CA.

I googled Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles and they showed pictures of their food. It looks as unappealing as it sounds.

I love a good a buttermilk or yeast waffle (amazing!) for breakfast sometimes with lots of butter and maple syrup. Or maybe strawberries and whipped cream. I also indulge in a piece of fried chicken occasionally, when feeling frisky. But together? Nah. Give me a green salad with the chicken and a side of bacon with the waffle.
    Last edited by shoepie; 04-19-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Oh, what is stinko. I have never heard that term before. LOL
    It means let's get really drunk!

YUP, chicken and waffles is very popular out here in CA. Roscoe's in LA is a hugely popular restaurant. My son went there recently from SD with friends visiting from Boston. THEY LOVED IT!
    KAREN

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Chicken and Waffles is a dish of unknown origin, but there are at least 3 theories about how it came to appeal to so many people. My favorite theory is that Thomas Jefferson brought a waffle iron with him from Paris when he returned to The Hermitage, and his cooks devised the dish.

The popularity of chicken and waffles has much to do with the success of Roscoe's chain of restaurants, which brought the dish more into the mainstream. What helped spread the popularity of Roscoe's was celebrity support of his restaurant. Herb Hudson knew people who worked in Motown and in television, such as Natalie Cole. Later more celebrities (such as Redd Foxx) would tell their television audience that Roscoe's was a place they should eat. Many restaurants borrowed Roscoe's theme dish and made it their own:

From Harlem, "chicken and waffles" was brought across the country to Los Angeles by Herb Hudson, who founded Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles in the mid 1970s. The 1988 movie Tapeheads features a fake music video ad spot for the company.

Ms. P's Electric Cock - Ms. P's started in 2011 in Austin Texas and is Nationally recognized cook. Ms.P's unique twist on Chicken and Waffles includes a Belgian waffle topped with a fried green tomato, fried chicken, poached egg, drizzled in maple syrup hollandaise.

Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles - Larry "Lo-Lo" White opened Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles in Phoenix, Arizona in 2002.[8] Lo-Lo's is popular among celebrities and athletes including Muhammad Ali, Charles Barkley, Amare Stoudamire, and Larry Fitzgerald. Larry White has catered to the Arizona Cardinals and was flown down to Super Bowl XLIII in 2009 in Tampa to continue the tradition of cooking chicken and waffles for the team before winning games.

The Corner Office Restaurant and Martini BarIn 2004, Denver discovered chicken and waffles and The Corner Office became the place to find them. For three years in a row (2007, 2008 and 2009) the restaurant has been honored by Westword, a weekly magazine in Denver, as offering the best chicken and waffles in Denver.[9]

Lucky J's Chicken and WafflesOpening in 2009, Lucky J's has become an Austin, Texas institution and a nationally recognized leader among the growing trailer food movement. In addition to selling classic fried chicken and waffles, Lucky J's is known for its Waffle Tacos.

Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken & WafflesGladys Knight and Ron Winans founded a chain of chicken and waffles restaurants in 1997.[10] The original restaurant opened in Atlanta, Georgia. Subsequent restaurants in Lithonia, Georgia, Johns Creek, Georgia and Landover, Maryland (Washington, D.C. suburb) in The Boulevard at the Capital Centre.[11] The MD restaurant opening was featured on the opening episode of the Food Network's show Dweezil & Lisa (January 2004). The original Atlanta location was featured on a January 2009 episode of the Travel Channel's show Man v. Food.[12]

Stevie's Chicken 'N WafflesStevie's Chicken 'N Waffles is located in Northeast Portland, Oregon and is part of the Portland food cart boom of the mid to late 2000s. Stevie's was the only exclusive Chicken and Waffle joint north of the Bay Area on the West Coast. But since 2008, Seattle has Seattle’s Kick N Chicken Waffle House, Rainier Valley, Seattle, WA - Restaurant & Bar Reviews - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper- Seattle's Kick-N-Chicken Waffle House.

Dame's Chicken & WafflesDame's Chicken & Waffles is located in Durham, North Carolina. It opened in late 2010 and quickly became one of the popular restaurants that have reinvigorated Durham's downtown area.

Big Momma's Chicken and WafflesBig Momma's Chicken and Waffles is located in New Orleans (East), Louisiana. It opened in June of 2009, in Eastern New Orleans, a community that was totally submerged after Hurricane Katrina. Big Momma's is the only exclusive Chicken and Waffles restaurant in Lousiana.
    Chicken and waffles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread