+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Here's the answer to Trivia question #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

They put Kate Winslet (Mildred) in every single scene. It's very hard on the actor and is seldom done. I'm not sure if I would have noticed or not. I did take note since I heard it before the show aired.

I'm still searching for the second question answer.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imissme View Post
    THE FINAL.

Ok, so I watched the finale (parts four and five) last night. This mini series was so long, dull and plodding that I have no idea why I watched all five parts. The ending was basically more nude scenes followed by more nudity in the writing, acting and directing catagories. Completely devoid of any drama and substance.
    The critics say this HBO version was closer to the book. I say, thank god that one director and sceneplay saw what could be made from the book and made the original with Joan Crawford. Because this adaptation STUNK. Seriously, who cared about any of these characters from the begining to the end? The best thing I can say about the HBO version is thank you who ever invented the fast forward button! This show needed lots of fast forwarding.
    Sorry I watched. Happy its over. No longer do I ahve to hope they remade a great movie. They didnt they retold a boring story.
    The only part of the finale I really enjoyed was Mildred trying her best to strangle Veda.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    The only part of the finale I really enjoyed was Mildred trying her best to strangle Veda.
    LOL She didn't try hard enough.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

They put Kate Winslet (Mildred) in every single scene. It's very hard on the actor and is seldom done. I'm not sure if I would have noticed or not. I did take note since I heard it before the show aired.

Nifty thing.

As far as #2, I am not sure you will find the answer to that. I thought the sex scenes were fabulous. They were very real.

Poppy Fields, that was my favorite part too! I loved seeing Mildred get a spine with that terrible daughter. I also loved the ending! To hell with her, we have each other, lets get stinko! PERFECT.

FORT Fogey

REF All Parts and the Finale

I'm not sure what to think. How can the acting be so good, but the movie not good? I thought Kate Winslet was just wonderful. I also thought that many of the other actors did a wonderful job. The woman who played Mildred's friend was great as was her husband and the business friend. I even thought Evan Rachel Wood did a good job once she came aboard. The younger version, was not good. Too overdone.

I did not like how they played the character of Monty. It was a one note character. I did not find his character to be believable.

Did anyone see the writers and director, (I think that's who they were) talking about the movie after the finale went off? They said that the part where the music person who got Veeda into singing talks about her being a snake, is quite crucial. Mildred sees the snake in her daughter when she looks at her through the binoculors in the the theatre. The face looks evil, but mother turns away and looks at her without the binoculors. She can't bear to see her that way. Then when the daughter walks across the floor naked, that scene is supposed to portray the daughter as a snake once again, slithering across the floor. I didn't think she looked like a snake at all. LOL

At the end, I didn't feel as if I was seeing the ending of a movie. It just seemed like a great premise, opportunity and acting display, but not a good movie. Oh well.

Please tell me, in the original movie, who was murdered?
    I read your post before I watched it and I did see the daughter looking like a snake in the nude scene. Through the binoculars she just looked evil and her eyes could be compared to a snake, certainly.

I love the ending; that made me like the entire thing much better. Often I like a movie after I have seen it and had time for it to register. This was no different other than I clicked into liking it right at the end when I saw she was back with her husband. And then..and then! woo hoo to screaming at her daughter as she drove away. Well I sat up and paid attention when she tried to strangle her, of course. Good move, Mildred.

sounds like I will stick with the movie..it was made during a time where you had questions and suspense..not all the nudity and stuff...I like the movies that have you on the edge of your seat and you don't have to have someone parade naked to do that
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Here's a quick synopsis of the original move from IMDB:

Mildred Pierce dotes on her daughters while husband Bert looks to Maggie Binderhof for affection. They soon divorce, leaving Mildred to raise the girls on her own. Elder daughter Veda goads her mother about their lack of money and in response Mildred proposes opening a small restaurant. Realtor Wally Fay advises her while making numerous rebuffed passes and introduces her to Monte Baragon whose property becomes the first of a chain of restaurants. Mildred has an affair with Monte. Meanwhile, money-hungry Veda pretends to be pregnant by wealthy Ted Forrester in order to bilk his family of $10,000. Mildred tears up the check, is slapped by Veda, and orders her daughter to leave. After time away, Mildred returns to find Veda singing in a cheap club. Veda will return only if Mildred promises luxury, so Mildred agrees to marry Monte in exchange for a third of her businesses. It soon becomes clear that something is going on between Veda and Monte. Mildred learns of this only after Monte has sold out his third of the her business leaving her bankrupt. She goes to Monte's beach house to kill him... Shots ring out, but what really happened?
    I didn't read the book, but did see the movie. HBO's version certainly diverges in several major plot points from the original film.

In the movie, you only hear the shots ring out. The victim is left to surmise. Maybe someone who read the book can tell us?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I don't get HBO, so I did not get to see this.
    I expected it to have really big ratings, considering all the promos they did.

I did see the original many times and I loved it.
    One of my friends saw this and enjoyed it - HBO version - but said she talked to many who'd seen it and didn't like it. They said it moved way too slow.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    sounds like I will stick with the movie..it was made during a time where you had questions and suspense..not all the nudity and stuff...I like the movies that have you on the edge of your seat and you don't have to have someone parade naked to do that
    After reading the synopsis I know I like the HBO version better already, though I am anxious to see the original.

I thought the nudity and sex scenes were handled beautifully. I appreciated the genuine detail. Nicely done, I thought.

As much as I complained about the slow pace, I am going to read the book and see who is more accurate. I have come to love this story.

According to every review I've read, HBO was more faithful to the book, than the Joan Crawford movie was.
    Not surprising, as the original was less than 2 hours and it looks like the mini series had many episodes.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread