+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mildred Pierce on HBO

Re: Mildred Pierce on HBO

The movie with Joan Crawford is under 2 hours and moves very quickly.

This mini series moves like molasses.

I think I've seen the movie over 20 times...and like it every time. I can't imagine ever watching this series ever again.

Too bad because I was looking forward to it...and it turned out so disappointing.

I loved the original, but I have patience and a love of old, good movies. I have not yet seen this new version, and I won't until it becomes available on DVD, but I've watched the original many times over.

I'm not even that big a fan of Joan Crawford. She was a good actress but not nearly as good as some of her contemporaries, in my opinion. But, this was a great movie!

As for Veda, she was the quintessential spoiled brat who believed she was entitled to have everything she wanted. She was completely self absorbed and the catalyst for everything that happened late in the film. In other words, she would fit in perfectly on an MTV reality show today.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by megan31917 View Post
    The movie with Joan Crawford is under 2 hours and moves very quickly.

This mini series moves like molasses.

I think I've seen the movie over 20 times...and like it every time. I can't imagine ever watching this series ever again.

Too bad because I was looking forward to it...and it turned out so disappointing.
    The Joan Crawford version of MP is different from the HBO version.....HBO's series follows the James M. Cain novel more closely(which also moved slowly). The two versions also have big differences in plot points.

I've just finished watching the first two showings of this mini-series...waiting until the last part is shown.
    Loved the original but then I also love old movies, particularly '50's & '60's.
    But this is like watching a different movie than the Joan Crawford one with somewhat similar story line. This one is so much more detailed and really shows how difficult it was to be a "grass widow" in the '30's.

In the original, the daughter (Anne Blythe) was older and it seemed more fitting for her to become enamoured with the "high society life" and view her mother's status as humiliating, and more fitting with the ending, at least to me. So I'm anxious to see how it plays out. Maybe time will fast-forward so Vida ages more.

It is slow but it does paint a much more detailed picture of Mildred's life and the problems an unmarried (separated/divorced) woman faced then. I think it helps to have a good understanding of how different society's rules were then and how people behaved. Couldn't help but notice how well mannered and quiet the children were in the restaurant scenes, as compared to today's children.

I'm enjoying it but then it helps to have a rainy week-end day with nothing more pressing to do than watching tv, crocheting an afghan with 3 large snoring dogs at my feet. (My idea of a good life. )

FORT Fogey

I am just waiting for 4 and 5 to get it over with. You can see where this is heading without having seen the original or read the book.

The acting and storyline greatly improved with the addition of Evan Rachel Wood as Vita.....really enjoyed this series...of course Kate Winslet was awesome....The older movie actually played on HBO about 2 weeks prior to this series....i'm sure it will return.....
    We live in the land of the free, because of the brave....

FORT Fogey

I feel asleep and may or may not plow through the rest. It did pick up with Veda grown up but apparently not enough!

I have an issue with casting. Usually they are very careful to match the looks more closely when a part is played by two people. They made no attempt! I can only think they could not find a young girl who looked enough like Racheal (?) and could also act the part. We all seem to have issues with the younger Veda's acting ability but she was probably directed to do exactly as she did and the best they had read for the part.

FORT Fanatic

THE FINAL.

Ok, so I watched the finale (parts four and five) last night. This mini series was so long, dull and plodding that I have no idea why I watched all five parts. The ending was basically more nude scenes followed by more nudity in the writing, acting and directing catagories. Completely devoid of any drama and substance.
    The critics say this HBO version was closer to the book. I say, thank god that one director and sceneplay saw what could be made from the book and made the original with Joan Crawford. Because this adaptation STUNK. Seriously, who cared about any of these characters from the begining to the end? The best thing I can say about the HBO version is thank you who ever invented the fast forward button! This show needed lots of fast forwarding.
    Sorry I watched. Happy its over. No longer do I ahve to hope they remade a great movie. They didnt they retold a boring story.

FORT Fogey

imissme, thanks. I will not bother with watching the rest! I do love FF, very much, but this series requires way too much of it.

REF All Parts and the Finale

I'm not sure what to think. How can the acting be so good, but the movie not good? I thought Kate Winslet was just wonderful. I also thought that many of the other actors did a wonderful job. The woman who played Mildred's friend was great as was her husband and the business friend. I even thought Evan Rachel Wood did a good job once she came aboard. The younger version, was not good. Too overdone.

I did not like how they played the character of Monty. It was a one note character. I did not find his character to be believable.

Did anyone see the writers and director, (I think that's who they were) talking about the movie after the finale went off? They said that the part where the music person who got Veeda into singing talks about her being a snake, is quite crucial. Mildred sees the snake in her daughter when she looks at her through the binoculors in the the theatre. The face looks evil, but mother turns away and looks at her without the binoculors. She can't bear to see her that way. Then when the daughter walks across the floor naked, that scene is supposed to portray the daughter as a snake once again, slithering across the floor. I didn't think she looked like a snake at all. LOL

At the end, I didn't feel as if I was seeing the ending of a movie. It just seemed like a great premise, opportunity and acting display, but not a good movie. Oh well.

Please tell me, in the original movie, who was murdered?

+ Reply to Thread